Net Neutrality

1. ‹ Older
  2. 6 years ago

net neutrality is just an euphamism for corporations that want to charge us more cash by introducing something we have no control of

3. @TheForgotten20 net neutrality is just an euphamism for corporations that want to charge us more cash by introducing something we have no control of

Aka oligarchy

4. the net neutrality issue is a big nothing burger. Nothing will change as long as we still have some capitalism.

5. @Xenon the net neutrality issue is a big nothing burger. Nothing will change as long as we still have some capitalism.

It's going to take away freedom and knowledge.
    This is a big issue

6. ikr im tempted to go live in canada someday if this doesn't change
    xD

7. Edited 6 years ago by GrinningBobcat

@EnderConstructor Think that problem only affects North America or whatnot, Not the entire world anyways, thats what i've heard atleast

Uk likes copying america so I mean lowkey affects Uk, dunno but the idea of cutting up the internet to make more money sounds pretty good for internet providers globally wouldn't you agree?

On that note the american government is built for these things so a 3 guys saying yes doesn't mean it'll happen, just might though

8. Ya i think it's causing a few American servers to lag really hardly like 200 ping

9. "Community-owned internet service providers are cheaper and better."

https://motherboard.vice.com/en_us/article/d345pv/harvard-study-shows-why-big-telecom-is-terrified-of-community-run-broadband

this is why i like the american way of anti monopoly, free markets.

why i love crafy mynes free markets anyone can trade anything and build almost anywhere.

It is easier to trouble shoot problems if a system has many small parts! many programmers are taught to brake large programs into many small functions, many programs are broken in many small objects. many large functions are broken into many small command blocks. then if a probel m arrises it is easy to find the specific block that has the problem and fix it.

but if you let one large corporation or politician in charge of everything! then google can make one typo and japan loses internet for a day.

https://www.engadget.com/2017/08/28/google-accidentally-broke-internet-japan/

oops, google broke japans internet.

this is why net neutrality is a good thing. if the corporations are all allowed to do what they want to the interent then each corporation can offer something different and small companies can either offer something extremely high quality or something extremely cheap. that the larger corporations cannot offer easily. and the smaller communities can offer faster trouble shooting. which leads to better response times. and less total black outs.

sure the transition will be a hard one as we are seeing first the large corporations must price gouge! as we see on crafty mynes. first a player must charge really high prices for an item before other players think it is worth while to try to produce it themselves. but then ten players start producing it themselves and the market price for that items drops and the quality and ease of obtaining that item improves! it does take time! sometimes a long time. it took 100 years for 70% of the american population to own cars! but it will come and it will be amazing.

10. ^

11. Edited 6 years ago by GrinningBobcat

@JKELLER4000

link text

it's the limitation that worries people, the limitation can end up strangling the little guy. We love the non-monopoly it always improvement. But net neutrality being repeal can lead to a lot more innovation being killed as well

12. Ah yes fear. This Is the great motivator. I have seen many people do things that have hurt themselves out of fear than take risks that lead to great benefit!

risk aversion. there is a whole wikipedia article written about humans insane risk aversion :) and how businesses and politicians use this for profits.

If you mane the human afriad the human would rather spend $2 dollar to avoid losing than spend $1 dollar to win!

lots of games use this. they code the game so that the player almost wins but loses. and the player can pay to not lose!

the net neutrality is using your fear of losing to take advantage of you. so please do not let them! learn about your irrational fear of losing and learn how to prevent people from using it against you!

13. Rip memes :(
    Maybe

14. Are you claiming that, as a result of net neutrality repeal, memes will cease to exist?

15. 5 years ago
    Edited 5 years ago by MisterChris717

Unless you live in Washington state, you are now vulnerable to the absents of net neutrality.

16. I don’t think much will change honestly. All it takes us one reliable company to stay on course and all the others will fall in line. Even if things do happen, the internet is a service, not a right.

17. @_Confederacy_ I don’t think much will change honestly. All it takes us one reliable company to stay on course and all the others will fall in line. Even if things do happen, the internet is a service, not a right.

Actually the UN passed a motion last year, stating that Internet access is a right.
    One reliable provider isn't enough, however with the patchwork of state laws it probably won't be worthwhile to remove net neutrality in the short run.

18. @WBlaine Are you claiming that, as a result of net neutrality repeal, memes will cease to exist?

Memes aren't threatened because of net neutrality repeal specifically, but Article 13 of the EU Copyright Directive proposal would require content recognition technology. This does present a threat to memes.

19. @pand1024 Memes aren't threatened because of net neutrality repeal specifically, but Article 13 of the EU Copyright Directive proposal would require content recognition technology. This does present a threat to memes.

Different story, but true. I was listening to a segment about that yesterday.

20. @_Confederacy_ I don’t think much will change honestly. All it takes us one reliable company to stay on course and all the others will fall in line. Even if things do happen, the internet is a service, not a right.

it's actually both :D

or Sign Up to reply!