Post a Reply

The most Powerful Faction

1. 7 years ago

@sovietsuperman Red Army has layers of bases and a government style, I would put us second next to apathy.

In terms of power however, Wouldn't a faction require to be active in order to be able to be judged?
    (It might be just me, But I'm sure Apathy aren't active)

2. @TheDunmerRaven Apathy isn't active, however Red Army is. We are just waiting at the moment.

3. @R4iscool1 Why not ?
    Whats stopping a person doing that and outfarming/Outbuilding.

Simply manpower.
    An actual faction which has some level of organisation will have the farms run most hours of a day, with people constantly trading to villagers for emeralds, people constantly want to build either things like iron golem farms or villages to just aesthetically pleasurable projects.
    In vanilla there is no incentive to do this, so it just doesn't happen. Once you attain a certain measure of wealth there's not much point in getting more aside from intrinsic gain as I said in the other thread

4. I do believe Im one of those long-shift players. But Im on a break right now. Real life events caught up on me.

IMO, the only way I see "strong" factions (me as not belonging to any) is if they are noisy and active in the forum. There is no way I could gauge their strength. So I believe any faction can say they are the most powerful. Hell I could also say Im the most powerful "lone-wolf" faction. But no one will believe.

So unless a really good way to compare factions is done then this will all be an endless debate.

5. @R4iscool1 Manpower is irrelvant to a degree, a good player can do things far more efficiently than two mediocre players.

There is plenty of players that do long shifts on the server equivalent to most factions.

There isnt much point for a faction either, it hasnt stopped me particually. Many view it as a race to the top.

two players isn't a faction

plenty of player do long shifts, no player does long shifts of 10 hours just farming and trading emeralds (or more in a big faction) as in splitting it between 10-20 people so they only do 30 mins each or whatever, while others simultaneously build, raid, pvp etc

@R4iscool1 There isnt much point for a faction either, it hasnt stopped me particually. Many view it as a race to the top.

the top can be reached in vanilla in about a week of playing 6 hours a day if you're alone, probably half that if you're with someone else
    which is why I said in vanilla there is barely any incentive for factions

6. @_Drachenzorn_ I do believe Im one of those long-shift players. But Im on a break right now. Real life events caught up on me.

IMO, the only way I see "strong" factions (me as not belonging to any) is if they are noisy and active in the forum. There is no way I could gauge their strength. So I believe any faction can say they are the most powerful. Hell I could also say Im the most powerful "lone-wolf" faction. But no one will believe.

So unless a really good way to compare factions is done then this will all be an endless debate.

That's exactly it. Making noise in chat about being the best faction makes you the best faction;)

7. Edited 7 years ago by r4iscool1

@Mabzino two players isn't a faction

plenty of player do long shifts, no player does long shifts of 10 hours just farming and trading emeralds (or more in a big faction) as in splitting it between 10-20 people so they only do 30 mins each or whatever, while others simultaneously build, raid, pvp etc

the top can be reached in vanilla in about a week of playing 6 hours a day if you're alone, probably half that if you're with someone else
    which is why I said in vanilla there is barely any incentive for factions

True it was just an example number.
    Manpower is somewhat irrelvant with auto farms that only require the chunk to be loaded.
    During which time that person can improve their base etc.
    One player can undoubtly match a faction with dedication and skill.

8. Yes in ideal conditions a faction would be more productive then a single player. But everything with players is case relative. Like lets assume each player is on for 2 hours a day. If a faction has 10 people they have 20 hours of work. Where as a player has 2 hours. But that often not the case. And it seems to me that most factions contain 3-4 diehards while everyone else on the roster is barely on once a day or even week. Where as a die hard player is often on and can accomplish much as they don't have to check with base-mates and discuss what to do. Their base may not produce as much overall to faction in terms of pure amounts,but a player with a good setup could best a faction in terms of each player to goods.

Factions also seem to get raided alot by either internal or external forces. Where as a player with an underground, hidden setup will probably never be raided. Like the "Sky Kin" a relativly new faction was recently raided.

A faction of well working members with a hidden setup where every member is loyal 100% would be ideal, but near impossible to achieve. But it is possible.

So in conculsion i feel that the question "Is a player better than a faction?"has 2 answers, yes and no. Yes they could easly produce more goods and get more profit as they don't have to split it. Yes they are alot safer from a raid. No in that they may not produce as much raw goods overall. It is a balancing act every player much choose. I have played both as a loner and as a faction member and they both are fun, but there is an undeniable sense of accomplishment when one can freely build and help others in a faction.

9. @TheDunmerRaven Well, Who do you think is more powerful,The faction with 10 people yet are almost never heard from, or the faction with 3 people who are regonised by nearly everyone?

Ahh an interesting question. I did not include a "fame" variable in my thoughts. This is very thought provoking. Thanks for asking! May I ask for more details on the players, if you want me to answer with just the given I can, but I would prefer to know the following.
    For referance group A is the group of 10 unknowns, while Group B is the 3 regs.

1. Are group A and group B players on the same amount of time, ie each player is on for 3 hours a day.

10. Edited 7 years ago by TheDunmerRaven

@FishW Ahh an interesting question. I did not include a "fame" variable in my thoughts. This is very thought provoking. Thanks for asking! May I ask for more details on the players, if you want me to answer with just the given I can, but I would prefer to know the following.
    For referance group A is the group of 10 unknowns, while Group B is the 3 regs.

1. Are group A and group B players on the same amount of time, ie each player is on for 3 hours a day.

Lets say that everything about the two groups are the same, except for how well they are known on the server.

And for a third option as a control, lets say group C who have 5 members and are moderately well known but still the same in all other aspects.

11. @R4iscool1 Not if the player is better than the faction.
    Its a pretty simple concept quality over quantity.
    They are useful but they aren't necessarily the most powerful entity on the server.

Fish has a rather good outlook on it.

a player again won't be trading items to villagers for 10-20 hours a day
    a very good player can't compete monetarily with a good faction

12. @Mabzino a player again won't be trading items to villagers for 10-20 hours a day

Thats an unqaulfied assumption, its also based on the idea that the faction will do this also yet another assumption.

13. @Mabzino a player again won't be trading items to villagers for 10-20 hours a day

Yea i would say that is true almost all the time. But if a player produces 10 diamonds a day, and a faction of 5 produces 40 then our ratio are 1:10 player and 1:8 faction. So the player is really producing more. See saying more people, more profit is true as yes raw materials is higher, but more people more mouths to feed meaning one must split it more ways and outfit more people. So while a faction may acquire a lot of stuff, and true it may be able to level up its members quicker, a faction that hasn't had time to make a large setup would be inferior to a player in my opinion. But yes you could say "well having 40 diamonds is better than 10 and the faction functions as one so player to item ratio doesnt exist" and that is true to some degree.
    But here look at it like this. A player is selling elytra for 30 diamonds. Our lone player quickly acquires this and buys the elytra. A faction of 10 gets the 30 diamonds alot quicker then the player and buys the elytra. But the faction must repeat this 10 times for every player(assuming all players are equal).

14. @R4iscool1 The behaviour you are describing is beyond a good faction to imo.
    At least in a vanilla setting, there is no reason one player cant gather more than a group, it may not be likely but its certainly a possibility.

group of 25 people, each person spends 50 minutes on farm/villagers a day
    totaling almost 24 hours a day
    done
    unless a player can do that

total wealth > total wealth of player
    agreed have to gear more people;
    but not everyone is active ingame at once whether mining or fighting
    also designated roles, only a fraction will have to be truly geared
    in vanilla no incentive to make a good faction anyway though

15. Edited 7 years ago by r4iscool1

I think thats rather unrealistic.
    Its like saying one player playing 16 hours a day and farming far better than the faction.
    They could farm 3 times as long and still be behind if the player obtains a better farm.
    Ultimately players can beat factions, not in every circumstance but the majority of the time with enough effort.

16. @R4iscool1 I think thats rather unrealistic.
    Its like saying one player playing 16 hours a day and farming far better than the faction.
    They could farm 3 times as long and still be behind if the player obtains a better farm.
    Ultimately players can beat factions, not in every circumstance but the majority of the time with enough effort.

now you're just being unrealistic lol "the majority of time with enough effort"
    i don't understand your first line, one player playing 16 hours a day and farming better than the faction just won't happen
    "a better farm" >good faction (if not better farm will have more people farming their multiple farms)
    also faction can have players trading to villagers and farming at the exact same time, not possible on 1p

17. @Mabzino now you're just being unrealistic lol "the majority of time with enough effort"
    i don't understand your first line, one player playing 16 hours a day and farming better than the faction just won't happen
    "a better farm" >good faction (if not better farm will have more people farming their multiple farms)
    also faction can have players trading to villagers and farming at the exact same time, not possible on 1p

It was an unrealistic scenario in response to another unrealistic scenario.
    Your whole argument hinges on the assumption "It wont happen".
    Which is unqualfied, A single player can easily build a bigger and more efficient farm than a faction that can outdo multiple players.

I dont understand what the issue is with the idea that a player can > Faction