1. 4 years ago

I feel like fish should turned off because they make having ocean bases nearly impossible to keep under 100 entities. Maybe like the old maps where squid were disabled. We could have a villager that sells buckets of fish in spawn or a roulette that uses credits that gives you a random fish in a bucket to compensate.

I just went from 78 entities to 400 in a matter of seconds just from fish and there's not much I could do about it sadly.

2. Squid was never disabled in the last map, we did kill them periodically though. All that being said, the act of killing mobs causes just about as much lag as leaving them be. Running the commands required to kill mobs not only has to loop through every entity, it also then respawns them all requiring the logic for creation. Best case would be adding fish to the list of mobs that get culled every half hour causing some lag spikes and a breif moment of reduced lag.

3. Sadly there are no options for disabling 1 type of mob, only thing we can do is kill them.

4. So as long as players who live in ocean biomes actively try to keep their fish entities down we won't be punished for being over entity cap since there isn't a viable solution?

5. @Inyashi So as long as players who live in ocean biomes actively try to keep their fish entities down we won't be punished for being over entity cap since there isn't a viable solution?

Just like the guardians, if you are actively trying we can't punish you. If an admin is on, we can kill them manually although it won't do too much.

6. I was also wondering is there a cap to the amount of fish that can possibly spawn? If there is, could we just put a bedrock box of water with fish to hold the cap or would that just be as laggy as leaving them around various ocean biomes?

7. @Inyashi I was also wondering is there a cap to the amount of fish that can possibly spawn? If there is, could we just put a bedrock box of water with fish to hold the cap or would that just be as laggy as leaving them around various ocean biomes?

I think there are caps but I'm not sure if its for all entities or just for fish, they have changed so much recently. Probably just as laggy or more by having them all in the same place. Also, if no one is in an ocean biome, then it would just be unnecessary lag.

8. Mojang pls :(
    I wish there was a decent solution for this without putting additional stress on the server but it looks like we'll have to wait for Spigot and hope something can be managed from that when you get the time. I will keep murdering innocent fishes in the meantime.

9. @Inyashi Mojang pls :(
    I wish there was a decent solution for this without putting additional stress on the server but it looks like we'll have to wait for Spigot and hope something can be managed from that when you get the time. I will keep murdering innocent fishes in the meantime.

You could harass mojang on twitter/reddit for a toggle/gamerule to disable fish.

10. You know, I actually might. I'd just have to remember my twitter login and how to use twitter lol

11. I mean, they added a lot of types of fish to the game.

Fish is just like any other mob. It has a 24 mob cap I believe and considering there's too many types of fish..
    ..that'll lead you to a big entity count. Plus other shit that spawns, ya know shit's ridiculous.

So you can't do wonders on it. Just like Crafty said, we can beg Mojang to put that damn gamerule on.

I feel like going directly to Mojang rn lol

or Sign Up to reply!