cepheid's thoughts #2: problems with staff and the server of CraftyMynes

1. ‹ Older
  2. 6 years ago

@STRANGER_ I don't think that players are leaving due to "OP" items. I think that new players are leaving and for 2 main reasons.

1. Lack of direction in spawn, easily fixable with a sign that can be seen the second a new player accepts the rules, leading them to the RTP.
    2. Getting killed/discouraged. Unfixable really unless we could make new players not found for score and not drop heads. Also they make por decisions and build too close to spawn, once again I think they are lost in the directions they can see.

Now in all seriousness. Do not try and belittle, argue, or fight. If you want people to take this thread seriously for another second just tell us your ideas.

I already removed the New Player room and rule book, players are now spawned right in front of the random TP with a title telling them to use their guide book to random tp.

3. Jeez, this got more heated than I was expecting. Can't we all get along?

And to be clear, I'm not leaning towards the OP or anyone for that matter. I'm completely neutral on the matter.

4. Edited 6 years ago by STRANGER_

@CraftyMyner I already removed the New Player room and rule book, players are now spawned right in front of the random TP with a title telling them to use their guide book to random tp.

Oh no don't get me wrong, there's not much more to do, a lot of the issue is that those people have too little patience to do even that when looking for a server they can really get into. I think you've done what needs to be done in that matter, I had to really think back to when I first joined, and it was pretty straightforward.

5. I wonder if some people are going to take these cherished memories of arguing on a game forum to their grave by how much energy was wasted here

A Plaque in the heart for sure

6. @Pimpcy I wonder if some people are going to take these cherished memories of arguing on a game forum to their grave by how much energy was wasted here

A Plaque in the heart for sure

Talking from experience I presume ?

7. Edited 6 years ago by GibsonAxe

Many of the issues pointed out originally have been shown to have little or no merit, the 1 thing that i kept seeing pop up was "OP" items which is not whats really meant now tho is it, you refer to any unique items as pointed out, removal of said items is just not going to happen they are treats for special players and in no way are the items "OP" or even of much real use other than being uniquely special. As for the "drop" in players the server always has a fluctuation in player base, Im sure its going to pick right back up as its about that time of the year again.
    If anyone has any issues feel free to bring them up as Crafty has pointed out when someone asked for something he usually delivered, if some of those things take time to be implemented so be it time isn't as available to some.
    However when its just complaints of how someone or a small group arent getting their way the issue is pretty much void as most if not each time its been has shown to be so.
    On another note, if you truly wish the server to be better and care to help it grow,bring issues up when they are immediately presented to better work them out or be determined if it really is something to worry about or to be taken care of in any way,don't get hostile or upset in the discussion it tends to complicate things from being worked out.Vote,its simple and helps the server more than you may think so do it :D
    If anyone has anything constructive to add by all means do so if not i think this thread has run its course.

8. @Zane_Truesdale Talking from experience I presume ?

Experience from what? Do you want to clarify me more on what you know?
    Like you did join a month ago I don't know who you could possibly be :P

9. Anyway If you're implying my experience in similar situations like this, nah I really don't have anything I hold to heart here or remember but one thing. I used to be a big time Artist here but I've gotten Inactive with Minecraft and art lately. Without this community I would of never climbed up that ladder in my life and now I have people paying me for art. I owe a big thanks to these guys. The community here can be great both players and staff don't let this thread get to your head <3

10. Deleted 6 years ago by r4iscool1
  11. Edited 6 years ago by Carl_Sagan1

so many comments :/ i can't read them all...
    and the server is great.

12. This is possibly the most dramatic thread I have ever encountered in my lifetime.

13. All this can't be that serious. When people start making big paragraphs i stop reading because it just means it's getting out of hand and it'll lead to misinterpretations

14. I finally had some time to look at my crates regarding the "totems"

-image-
    -image-

I posted these to discord immediately after checking but there was only a single totem in this crate, not sure where the 2nd one came from

15. Edited 6 years ago by Blackened_Dawn

also took me awhile to find it but I did find that I posted a picture of said totem that was going into the crate in the staff skype chat for people to give feedback

-image-

Skype name was blacked out due to being someone's real name

16. Edited 6 years ago by Blackened_Dawn

@cepheid Helping new staff learn the ropes
    -I also feel like the "orientation" for new staff is lacking a bit. Maybe it is just a "learn as you go" experience, but I do feel like new helpers need a little bit more help knowing the kick/ban process. It took me a month as staff before someone told me it's 3 kicks you give someone before asking for a ban. Maybe it just slipped my mentor's mind, but in the current state it really feels like it's on other staff online to walk new helpers through kicking and banning rule breakers as it's not explained well enough when they first get staff. I've seen this a bit in helpers promoted after myself, and I did my best to help them learn by walking them through the process of kicking people instead of just handling it myself. I'm not sure if it's a byproduct of the admins being so far removed from being a new staff that they forget that everything that's obvious to them isn't so obvious to a day 1 helper, but some things could definitely be improved.

Wrong.

-image-

17. -image-
    How about just giving an orientation for staff, then if nublet staff helpers have questions they ask a higher up?
    If something is unclear or undicussed such as the use of bitch or dick being old examples then make a vote amongst the admins as a form of administrative hierarchy/seniority or have direct voting from all staff members.

18. All this should be more of a conversation amongst staff members rather than players.

An average players will never complain if something OP is given to them or rule enforcement differing from staff to staff then an easy fix would be to specify the rules at least amongst staff memebers.

If everything is so black and white in this world why is there so much grey? Point being is that we all want the server to be its best so stop sounding like this is some kind of civil war. Staff just take the complaind and critism and see if its true

19. @GrinningBobcat -image-
    How about just giving an orientation for staff, then if nublet staff helpers have questions they ask a higher up?
    If something is unclear or undicussed such as the use of bitch or dick being old examples then make a vote amongst the admins as a form of administrative hierarchy/seniority or have direct voting from all staff members.

There already is an extensive introduction, in fact we have a 6 page guide on it.
    Anyone is free to ask any questions directly to higher staff or in the staff chat and they do, that's why I rejected that assertions of cephied, its simply not true.

As for unclear rules, it depends on context really when it comes to those words. We trust the good judgement of any staff to decide. Holding a vote really doesn't help unless we decide to blanket ban the words or blanket allow them.

@GrinningBobcat All this should be more of a conversation amongst staff members rather than players.

An average players will never complain if something OP is given to them or rule enforcement differing from staff to staff then an easy fix would be to specify the rules at least amongst staff memebers.

If everything is so black and white in this world why is there so much grey? Point being is that we all want the server to be its best so stop sounding like this is some kind of civil war. Staff just take the complaind and critism and see if its true

The staff chat is very active, you can go away for an hour in the fun chat and come back to 700 messages easily. Hence why everyone has it muted.

We have taken the complaints and criticism which are true, which every staff has acknowledged there was some things that we need to work on, player retention for new players, voting and the rewards, clarifying texture packs and forge.
    That doesn't mean we should take half the barely hidden personal stabs in the OP's post and implement them all, after all if they really were issues they should have been raised when they apparently were one not months later as some sort of payback before leaving post.

20. Just wow. I read #1 & #2 when i had nothing to do after work waiting for my wife.

21. i dont think the graph is very applicable atm due to the november reset (notice how the population dropped almost after november) but i do think that there is a possiility that population is declining, so definitely staff should keep and eye on it. As with some stats suggests (graphs) im not sure if having a stable
    population is good, it should be moving up and down or else that means the players arent joining the server. as for the population going down, 4 months is really very little time, when i look at stocks i look at the 1 year graphs to come up with conclusions whether it will go up or go down.

22. Newer ›

or Sign Up to reply!