1. 8 years ago

Most new players that come to Crafty Mynes came just for vanilla, yet many of them don't understand 1.9 features. I think it would help a lot of new players if we nudged them in the right direction to understand cool new things (especially showing people how to turn on the attack indicator). This could be accomplished in a few ways.

• Upon joining the server for the first time, players could receive a book titled 1.9 that explains all the features
    • The server could have a serverplz command and/or a random text with a link to a page explaining it

Although the latter of these may be very difficult for Crafty to add.
    I just think people are getting less and less willing to explain over and over the same information that people should know. And they should know, it's not really our problem, but it might be the difference between a new player staying, or leaving.

2. I feel offended xD trying to steal more of my job! For we are a fountain of knowledge for players xD

3. Edited 8 years ago by CraftyMyner

TL;DR: Nobody reads, the more reading and the more confusing things you add, the more likely to lose players.

Sadly no one reads, they don't read the book that will get them out, they through the book that will allow them to tp and then complain when they see the end screen even though in big easy to read text, it explains all this. Giving the user another book would likely be confusing for them, and even more likely they wouldn't read it. 15-25% of new players will ask why they are in the room, why they have the purple name, how they get out, how they tp, is it vanilla. All of this information is no more then one click away, the book explains it, they signs tell you why you are in there, the sidebar tells you all of the ranks.

It's a known fact that players just don't read. I have gone to many servers that tell me to read 16 page book on all the rules and then put me through a maze where I have to get all the questions correct. I either use common sense and struggle at it for about a minute, hack my way past it or just leave.

User interfaces should be simple, easy to navigate and be resilient when you mess mess up. Having an accept button on the last page would lose 25% players easy. Looking at the ratios of players in spawn vs in the new player room vs out in the wild, compared to 1.8, it's interesting.

On 1.8:

42% of players made it out of spawn.
    37% of players made it out of the new player room.
    21% of players never made it out of the new player room

On 1.9:

56% of players made it out of spawn.
    33% of players made it out of the new player room.
    11% of players never made it out of the new player room

The old new player room was difficult to navigate, was not helpful if you didn't know what you were doing and looked confusing with all the command blocks under it. The new one is straight forward, has lots of easy to read signs to help with getting out and getting started.

A 10% improvement is great but we still lose 11% of our players before they even set foot in spawn, and even worse, 33% don't even break a block. Yet still we want to add more complications to the process of getting started.

Personally I think directing the user to something like The Minecraft Wiki for info on how to craft and things like mob rates, also youtube, tell them to watch a rundown of the new 1.9 features.

- Crafty

I will leave you with this, something that happens at least once a day.

Click [Vote 1] [Vote 2] For Free Food and XP!
    ***1 second later***
    <SomePlayer> What do I get for voting?

4. Also, that's what the new AI system is for, it it's able to answer basic questions about the server so that players are able to do the core things like leave spawn, sethome, and tpa

5. What crafty said. It's a good idea, but there's an unfortunate amount of people who can't even get out of the starting room, because they can't read the signs they were looking at when they spawned.

or Sign Up to reply!