1. 7 years ago

Hi everyone, I started paying a little more attention to the bugs in the game and how Mojang takes care of them after Crafty made that guardian lag post. For me in the past it wasn't that big of an issue since other servers I played on weren't running on Vanilla only. We all know Minecraft has a lot of bugs, some became features or have been patched depending on community infamy or lack thereof. I think that in a place like this we should take a higher interest in how to help get word out about bugs and what we as a community of Vanilla players want and need fixed so that we are able to play with a comparably enjoyable and lag-free environment like servers running Spigot or performance systems.

There is a system in place that Mojang has to do just that, allowing us to submit bugs and work with other people to show Mojang what bugs are in the game and what we would like to see fixed. The Mojang Bug Tracker allows people to vote for issues they want to see fixed and contribute evidence to help show that bugs are affecting various parts of the game. Rather than always blame Mojang for not trying to do anything, we should try to help them fix the issue and bring attention to the things we know are affecting us.

Examples of some of the major bugs we are seeing:

Signing up for the tracker is easy and very non-intrusive, all you need is an email (could even be the one you signed up your Minecraft account with) and to chose a username. No personal information needed. If you do that you can start contributing votes and help get critical bugs and issues fixed.

There comes a point where the staff can only do so much to fix the lag before they optimize everything they can. When they reach that point, we as a group of Vanilla players should take a vested interest in doing what we can to also make our server just as good performance and popularity wise as those that run non-Vanilla to thank the staff for what they do. Make a bug tracker account and help out!

2. This is a great idea. Instead of complaining in-game help bring these bugs to the attention of Mojang.

Also, as a larger vanilla server we may encounter bugs that other people don't see very often (like the guardian spam-spawning) and it would be good for the server if these get some attention

3. Yes. Good job Flashflood. Taking action and making it easier for other to take action to help everyone. I have voted.

4. Yea, when you really look into it there is a lot of bugs and minor stuff, that once you know it will drive you crazy. I voted on all the bugs and hope Mojang will continue to keep up with the bug fixes!

5. And now you can say you have (slight yes) experience working with a bug tracker too.

6. Edited 7 years ago by CraftyMyner

I thought I had replied to this already but it appears that I got distracted. It is very important we bring issues to the surface, and vote for them. Mojang can't fix what they don't know is broken, and they likely have a lot on their plate. Voting for the issues that affect us the most let's mojang know what to work on next. The more votes and traffic a bug gets, the more likely it is to get in front of someone at mojang who can do something about it.

Some of you may remember the "sign hack", this was an issue that I found about 4 months before it was found in the first of hacked clients. I reported it privately and got no response, no one could vote for it, I just had to accept the fact that they weren't going to anything about it and protect myself the best I could. About 4 months after I conceived the hack, it showed up in a few hacked clients, players started OP'ing themselves on servers and it became big enough for mojang to see. 1.8.4-1.8.8 was all about fixing the issues around security, the ones that affect server owners, these releases contained about 5 of my bugs that I had submitted.

If that wasn't bad enough, I made a bug report a long time ago, I forget I had even posted it. One day I got an email that said it had been marked as "done", 289 days, 17 hours, 46 minutes later. As a programmer, I can't stress enough, good bug reports and some system to allow for feedback from the customers is very important. We don't know how to fix what we don't know is broken.

Don't forget to vote for theses as well as any other issues that affect how enjoyable your experience is on CraftyMynes. Bring forward issues and make sure that you make them private if it could affect the security of our server.

- Crafty

7. We could also take these issues to the Minecraft forums to get more of a public eye on this issues.

or Sign Up to reply!