What was changed?

1. 7 years ago

I may come off a little nosey, and don't really need or deserve a response. But, I would like to know what just recently changed in the server. If someone would like to explain?

TheBosmerFalcon

2. The server relocated from Dallas Texas to New York City? That's the only major change that comes to mind.

3. Ummm you mean 1.10?

4. Polar bears

5. I'm hoping this'll improve the connection :P

Caw!

6. @Nysic The server relocated from Dallas Texas to New York City? That's the only major change that comes to mind.

Hey, closer to me in beantown. High five. Take 25ms off that ping!

7. I live right in NY im getting all the connection

8. @Beedobi I live right in NY im getting all the connection

Can we all steal yours?

9. @TheDunmerRaven if y'all wanna move in go ahead LOL

10. @Beedobi @TheDunmerRaven if y'all wanna move in go ahead LOL

I'll send some crows over to steal your internet xD

11. Just make sure danny gets none (shhhhh caw)

12. More then just where the server is location changed. We went from a i7 4790k @ 4.7ghz in dallas, to a i7 6700k @ 4.7ghz in new york. We are also switch from a fixed carrier datacenter, to a carrier neutral datacenter. This means we will no longer get affected when others on the network get ddos'ed, we get our on direct connect to backbone carriers. We also have a new SSD with 2x the storage, this allows more room for our map in the future. I changed the ways we do backups as well, backup times went from 700-800 seconds down to 10-20 seconds, this means less stress on the network and the ssd. We also upgraded to 1.10.

13. Out of curiosity why the desktop procs? Would a Xeon serve better or is the server client not really optimized for server hardware?

14. The vanilla minecraft server was originally part of the client, coded for desktop hardware. It does not take advantage of anything Xeon/Server grade cpu's have to offer, (core count, large ram amounts, ecc ram). Xeon Cpu's are usually lower clocked, more expensive and can't be overclocked. Minecraft really only makes use of 1 core, so doing everything possible is to make that one core perform as best as it can is important.

As you can see by the current cpu usage of the server, we are really only making use of one core:

-image-

Also, we are also only using about 10gb of ram with, 60+ players on so no need for a server with 64/128gb or ram.

There's many more reasons I choose the host and equipment that we run the server on including the support I get from our host as well as the ability to customize any of the hardware that goes into our server.

15. What are the limitations that cause our servers problems like stuttering and mining lag? Is it just that the vanilla client is poorly optimized to run large servers?

Seems like the hardware should be up to par.

16. @Dench781 What are the limitations that cause our servers problems like stuttering and mining lag? Is it just that the vanilla client is poorly optimized to run large servers?

Seems like the hardware should be up to par.

Basically that's it, mojang invests no time in the vanilla server client since they know bukkit will just fix all the problems for them.
    The main issue as Crafty pointed out is the fact Vanilla Minecraft can't properly Multicore so we can only use one core for every dimension, which bottlenecks pretty much everything.
    The other issues mainly are lag causing bugs that Mojang has yet to fix that can cripple the server speed even more.

17. Ridiculous considering Mojangs resources.

or Sign Up to reply!