Will server capacity be increased?

1. 8 years ago

Fair enough if it wont but the lag is like london traffic O_o you get probably a good 4 or 5 hours minor lag spikes midday and morning but once its the evening its pure frustration.

I heard something about servers being moved? Didnt understand it so it might not be relevant

2. Right now, our server should be able to handle at least 500 players, if it was spigot. Being Vanilla means that we have to put up with massively reduced performance. Our host is deploying some new i7 6700k servers that we should be able to get our hands on. The new server would be in New York on a better, more stable internet connection. The thought is that it will be a stability improvement more then a performance one, however, there might be a little bit less lag. I do have some plans regarding the lag and 1.9, but we will have to wait an see.

3. can i hear the plans hypothetically? :D

4. @CraftyMyner we will have to wait an see.

I'm not ready to make any commitments until 1.9 comes out.

5. Well, I'm sure we'll all be happy with what you do with 1.9 cuz you want to make your players happy.

6. Why not install Spigot, then? Performance mods are hardly non-vanilla. I doubt anyone would bat an eye.

I mean, yeah, it'd technically be non-vanilla, but functionally way more vanilla than half the stuff this stuff does with command blocks.

7. With 1.9 coming out, it would likely be at least a month or so before spigot would be released in any form for 1.9, also, our systems have been running vanilla for more then 16 months. It would take a lot of work to change over to spigot, and if we messed it up, it would be a lot harder to go back to vanilla.

What does to community think?

8. Ah, yeah, updating might be an issue. That's true. And if updating to spigot might not be worth the work, I can see how you might not want to.

Still, I'd like to reiterate that performance mods are practically never considered "true" mods—you wouldn't be removed from the "Vanilla" sections of server lists, or anything like that.

9. I will, trust me, I have seen many servers get removed.

Here you can find the clean servers without ANY modifications at all. Known as Minecraft Vanilla Servers.

These servers are installed from the original server software provided by Mojang (minecraft.jar or SNAPSHOT) and no additional mods / plugins added. As a server owner you can not use Bukkit / Spigot or similar. If you want to provide Vanilla Gameplay, but with minimal server/user protection, then the server belongs in the Semi Vanilla category.

10. Edited 8 years ago by r4iscool1

Vanilla means an unmodfied server jar while some serverlists are less attentive than others, the main we are listed on would certainly not tolerate it.

I also think this is a slippery slope of justification that would slowly lead to more modifications and a significant loss of playerbase.

I'm sure we could compete with other semi vanilla servers and perhaps even top them but such a core change of server type is not something to be considered lightly.

11. Huh, really? That's a surprise. I can't see how performance plugins could possibly be important to players!

I guess I was wrong, then.

12. People are purists if you are playing vanilla then you probably have a reason to do so.
    The other thing is you can never prove that you just run peformance plugins since with bukkit and spigot plugins can be easily concealed.

13. Outside of pure vanilla servers there's all kinds of modifications that can be slipped in for performance, and I have yet to see these changes well documented. For instance, it's really frustrating to discover that certain kinds of block updates have been disabled for performance and that many redstone circuits won't work as a result.

On the other hand I've had friends who were discouraged by the lack of standard /home /spawn commands, or the inventory ghosting lag. So, I would be all for it if Craftymynes wants to make a non vanilla server in the future. Especially if there is some well documented mods to make the experience new and interesting, while still maintaining the level of quality that I appreciate on Craftymynes.

14. I'll give you a good example, I tried this when I was first starting out, I was attempting to make a server that ran spigot but still looked like vanilla.

Here are some of the issues I ran into.

#1. /trigger (how the books work) doesn't work by default and requires overrides and lots of messing with the config files.

#2. The team colors on the scoreboard use prefixes and don't work in chat or the tab list, it took me a week to make a plugin that was able to force the colors.

#3. Each dimension is stored in its own file as if it was its own world.

#4. /help is completely different.

#5. /fill and other commands are aliased to the bukkit version and require a bunch of config changes to get them to work the same as vanilla.

#6. Subtle changes in the chunk generation, mob spawning and other "random" events cause issues with chunk boundaries and mob farms.

#7. A new release like 1.9 would set us back at least a month while they work on the new version, and the first few releases would be like snapshots, they would be buggy and half the features wouldn't work.

#8. I touched on this but moving a vanilla world to a spigot one converts it to spigots format, breaking any ability to go back to vanilla without losing data.

#9. Many game mechanics are just different enough to look the same but have you scratching your head for hours trying to find out why it's not quite working.

At some point I would like to make a Spigot server but right now, with 1.9 coming out, I have way too much on my plate.

- Crafty

or Sign Up to reply!