Post a Reply

The Economy is Undergoing Rapid Price Changes.

1. 7 years ago

Of currently somewhat active shops according to forum posts:
    No shops currently have two-way exchanges. (IE if I have 64x I can get 1y out of the shopkeeper, where the price is 1y for 64x.)

Gold:
    Haxington Oreburgh Mine: 8 ingots = 1 diamond
    Andureil: ~14 ingots = 1 diamond
    Ealdwine: 64 ingots = 1 diamond

Iron:
    Haxington: 16 ingots = 1 diamond
    Ealdwine: 64 iron = 1 diamond

Diamond:
    Everyone: 1 diamond = 1 diamond
    Everyone: 9 diamonds = 1 diamond block

Emeralds:
    Ryebye: 1 Iron Horse Armor = 3 Emeralds
    Ryebye: 1 Gold Horse Armor = 2 Emeralds
    Andureil: Knockback 2 Book = 5 Emeralds

Cobblestone:
    Haxington: 256 (4 stacks) = 1 diamond
    Ryebye: 320 (5 stacks) = 1 diamond
    Ealdwine: 384 (6 stacks) = 1 diamond

The first numbers listed are shops that have not recently been updated for a while. The last numbers are the shops that have been recently updated.

2. Edited 7 years ago by CreeperLord170

@TheBlizWiz Of currently somewhat active shops according to forum posts:
    No shops currently have two-way exchanges. (IE if I have 64x I can get 1y out of the shopkeeper, where the price is 1y for 64x.)

Gold:
    Haxington Oreburgh Mine: 8 ingots = 1 diamond
    Andureil: ~14 ingots = 1 diamond
    Ealdwine: 64 ingots = 1 diamond

Iron:
    Haxington: 16 ingots = 1 diamond
    Ealdwine: 64 iron = 1 diamond

Diamond:
    Everyone: 1 diamond = 1 diamond
    Everyone: 9 diamonds = 1 diamond block

Emeralds:
    Ryebye: 1 Iron Horse Armor = 3 Emeralds
    Ryebye: 1 Gold Horse Armor = 2 Emeralds
    Andureil: Knockback 2 Book = 5 Emeralds

Cobblestone:
    Haxington: 256 (4 stacks) = 1 diamond
    Ryebye: 320 (5 stacks) = 1 diamond
    Ealdwine: 384 (6 stacks) = 1 diamond

The first numbers listed are shops that have not recently been updated for a while. The last numbers are the shops that have been recently updated.

The value of different items are decided by its demand and supply of the market and individuals?

3. Edited 7 years ago by sirchristopher10

@_Haxington_ What may that be?

It will happen in a couple days just have to get suppliescan't tell you yet

4. I agree. Diamonds are very valuable right now. I've noticed that even I stockpile diamonds and never spend them, cause I can get my own resources easier than the currency to buy the resources. Literally in the past few days I have gotten more wither skulls than I have diamonds. That's kinda ridiculous. What I'm wondering is why aren't we relying more on emeralds as a smaller currency? One that is easily gained by anyone that can grow crops and go to spawn to trade. It's the farmer's currency instead of the rich man's currency. In simpler terms: why are we paying with hundred dollar bills(diamonds) instead of 1 dollar bills(emeralds)? Especially when very few even own that much money. Some people argue it's because emeralds are just not worth enough to trade, but if I remember correctly who said that, it was one of the "rich" players who can afford to turn their nose up at emeralds. But a lot of us are not said "rich" players who can afford to pay in hundred dollar bills or we choose not to. But I for one love to trade in emeralds. It's something I can easily afford to spend and I can earn it just as easily. Yes, items will cost more emeralds than they would diamonds. But like my comparison, emeralds are $1 and diamonds $100. Big difference. But the main difference is that emeralds are easy to get. Diamonds are not as easy. So why are we not using emeralds as much as we probably should? Forget the use of diamonds versus emeralds, cause I know that's a reason people don't like emeralds. It's because you can't make tools and gear with emeralds, but diamonds you can. But we're not talking resources here. We're talking currency and economy. Diamonds are a resource. Emeralds are directly intended by mojang to be for trading, at least villager trading. They are meant to be minecraft currency. That might be why they don't have that many other uses for them.

So, yeah. My petition for emeralds to be used more as a currency, as they were intended to be.

5. I agree with the point that the diamond is too high a value to use as the basic currency unit, and indirectly inflates the value of everything else.

I think it just takes one merchant with the resources and time to establish a baseline price of diamonds to emeralds. Then the value of emeralds would become tangible. In the past the npc Spawn merchants did this, now the active player-sellers would need to step up if this is what all the players want.

Merchants with an assortment of book vendors and a strong business are in a great position to take this on as the emeralds seem to mostly get consumed buying book enchantments.

6. @Derndeff Anyone who doesn't have an emerald/diamond exchange system through villagers should not trust using emeralds as a valued currency. (and players will not trust this. I won't, anyway) One way you could fix this is by having an emerald/diamond exchange system that is static, either done at spawn or by a trusted player.

But then you have the exact same issue. An emerald is just a diamond, and diamonds have a seemingly unstable value. (or at least that's the argument, right?)

Anyway, if you believe heavily in the emerald system, why don't you start selling items for emeralds? You know roughly what they're worth, so why not start using it as a currency?

What is with you guys so desperately wanting a villager trade for emeralds to diamonds! It's never going to happen again! There's no need for it.
    If you haven't been listening, an emerald is NOT "just a diamond." They are completely different. It's comparing a dollar bill to a diamond ring. They are NOT the same. Emeralds are the official minecraft currency for in game use, but people don't like using them cause they apparently can't grow crops and go to spawn to sell them for limitless amounts of cash. All the people that complain about not having access to emeralds should really check out the trading post. There are villagers there that you can trade stuff with, like crops, which you can grow very easily and in mass quantity if you work for it. There you go. Emeralds for days! (btw, the unstable part is not the argument here. It's wanting to switch from diamond use to primarily emerald use and the arguments for/against that. The economy will always shift around. And this one is still new, so prices haven't settled yet even for diamonds because we are still getting over what prices were like before reset when diamonds weren't as valuable. They are unstable because we are still figuring out what they are worth.)
    This emerald/diamonds exchange system through villagers isn't going to happen. It can't unless we wanna live in a place where diamonds can literally be thrown away and no one will bat an eye about it, because that's what happened before reset. Everyone converted every emerald they had into diamonds and diamonds became super inflated. People scrambled to make emeralds then, cause they could buy their expensive jewelry with it. But now we've taken away your jewelry store and are asking you to pay in cash. It's tough, I get it. I was in favor of keeping the custom villagers myself. But we don't have that now and we shouldn't have it. It'll be abused by diamond horders who only hurt the economy.
    And what is this apparent issue of trust? Did you get scammed or something? Cause the people I know are trustworthy. Even the raiders and people I would never play alongside in game I am freely willing to trade with because in trading they are honest people who price things for what they are worth. The only issue is that raiders and griefers rarely do anything besides destroy, so they often don't have a desire to earn emeralds through farming or vanilla villager trading, so they'll probably still pay in diamond until they start stealing emeralds too.
    And once we do establish how much an emerald is worth for different items, there will be a monopoly unless other shops follow suit in the conversion. This then makes more shops convert to emerald trades and match the prices of other shops, creating a competitive economy based on emeralds for basic items. All it takes is a few people to open shops, even temporary shops, in order to start the movement.