Post a Reply

I Purpose a Question

1. 7 years ago
    Edited 7 years ago by Ealdwine_Drasax

It is only natural for humans to hunt for the truth, we search for ways to understand ourselves, our world, and our universe. Thus the birth of science, with every test, fallen apple, glimpse through a telescope, and surgical incision we believe that we are one step closer to knowing what we seek. Once we find these answers we publish them and share them with the world, but these new discoveries must stand against their greatest opponent, time. Pluto, the state/creation of the universe, the human mind, our galaxy and our place in it, the medical field. These all have been changed once if not many times because we are still learning, science is sadly not fact but the most recent findings. We can not hold science as the highest and utmost authority because it is not resolute and the findings of today may not be the findings and "truth" of tomorrow.

Consciousness is a state of awareness of the internal and external experience. Every sentient species has a consciousness, this can be observed with their behaviors from the external and internal stimulants, however now we get to humanity. It's ability to transcend the rudimentary cognitive process, to aspire culturally, intellectually, and socially. What has caused this?

Being an objectivist I stand on the side of reason, however contrary to the beliefs of my philosophical views I also hold God close to my heart. I have walked both paths and I have found both are the same. Science and the supernatural walk hand in hand in the gray that we choose not to see.

The soul is a complex construct. It is our eldest title for what we call consciousness. It is to help explain our eldest truth, mortality. I have looked into eyes and there is something there, a light if you will, not a literal but figurative light. Its a spark that units humanity on the most fundamental level. We may be separated by culture, society, or even geographically. But we are all the same, we love, fear, hate, we feel sadness, joy. I know the chemicals of the endocrine system and I know how they can affect our mood, but notice something? Every book, every professor I have talked to have used the word affect, not create or produce. The brain informs the body what to do, it tells these chemicals to be released. These chemicals are not the reason we are so alike, it is the complex connection that we share.

After all I said. I submit the following conclusion, The soul does exist, it is not yet to our understanding but it has an affect on our biological and cognitive processes, which in turn makes us feel our emotions may they be whatever they are. Specifically for this thread it would be Happiness.

I wish not to offend nor preach, this was not the point of the thread. I see all the answers here and they are based of logic of your choosing and in my eyes are sound. I hold reverence for all who have commented on this thread, you put forth the energy for some answer and place it here for all to read. You have my thanks.

2. This

@Ealdwine_Drasax What is it that makes us happy? Well then we should then look at the definition of happy, only one definition endures in our society. it is the absence of discomfort and a state that presents pleasure and comfort. With this in mind, how many here are happy with their actual lives? What is it that generates your happiness? Is it achievement, relationships, or perhaps, our meaning the motivation that erects us from our bed and drives us through the day. Yet, you might feel alone, angry, sad, or you just lose your solidarity, you think you are insignificant and truly don't matter.
    Yet, when you do those things that generates your happiness these feelings still return in time allowing you to feel something that is not happiness. So I ask with this unending cycle, what is Happiness and what makes you truly happy?

Off topic. I sense a lock coming.

Back to what was being talked about, my point of abstraction formulating different views of the universe still stands. I prefer to believe what it is for what it is. A human is a person. Humans are also made with the same stuff as other things. So on and so on. In a sea of many beliefs that pass and go with th tides of time it's best for you to simply see what isn't swaying with the waves as you sit having the waves lap at you

3. I still prefer to not see anything in religious views and prefer scientific.

I still believe happiness is an effect of evolution, and we shouldn't try to complicate it with human-created ideas. (Some would argue that religion itself is a human creation, believe it or not)
    Not that religion isn't a great way of viewing the world, it's just not for me.

Anyway, what makes me happy is accomplishing something and showing what I'm capable of. It releases some pretty neat chemicals.