I Purpose a Question

1. ‹ Older
  2. 7 years ago
    Edited 7 years ago by Ealdwine_Drasax

It is only natural for humans to hunt for the truth, we search for ways to understand ourselves, our world, and our universe. Thus the birth of science, with every test, fallen apple, glimpse through a telescope, and surgical incision we believe that we are one step closer to knowing what we seek. Once we find these answers we publish them and share them with the world, but these new discoveries must stand against their greatest opponent, time. Pluto, the state/creation of the universe, the human mind, our galaxy and our place in it, the medical field. These all have been changed once if not many times because we are still learning, science is sadly not fact but the most recent findings. We can not hold science as the highest and utmost authority because it is not resolute and the findings of today may not be the findings and "truth" of tomorrow.

Consciousness is a state of awareness of the internal and external experience. Every sentient species has a consciousness, this can be observed with their behaviors from the external and internal stimulants, however now we get to humanity. It's ability to transcend the rudimentary cognitive process, to aspire culturally, intellectually, and socially. What has caused this?

Being an objectivist I stand on the side of reason, however contrary to the beliefs of my philosophical views I also hold God close to my heart. I have walked both paths and I have found both are the same. Science and the supernatural walk hand in hand in the gray that we choose not to see.

The soul is a complex construct. It is our eldest title for what we call consciousness. It is to help explain our eldest truth, mortality. I have looked into eyes and there is something there, a light if you will, not a literal but figurative light. Its a spark that units humanity on the most fundamental level. We may be separated by culture, society, or even geographically. But we are all the same, we love, fear, hate, we feel sadness, joy. I know the chemicals of the endocrine system and I know how they can affect our mood, but notice something? Every book, every professor I have talked to have used the word affect, not create or produce. The brain informs the body what to do, it tells these chemicals to be released. These chemicals are not the reason we are so alike, it is the complex connection that we share.

After all I said. I submit the following conclusion, The soul does exist, it is not yet to our understanding but it has an affect on our biological and cognitive processes, which in turn makes us feel our emotions may they be whatever they are. Specifically for this thread it would be Happiness.

I wish not to offend nor preach, this was not the point of the thread. I see all the answers here and they are based of logic of your choosing and in my eyes are sound. I hold reverence for all who have commented on this thread, you put forth the energy for some answer and place it here for all to read. You have my thanks.

3. well, discussing about science and souls and feelings is all very different from person to person. personally, i believe in science and that there isn't really a purpose existence, other then existing. We as a human species believe that we are intelligent, not because we're good at surviving, but because we're good at asking questions. There ere a lot of experiments with monkey's, who have proven to be very 'intelligent', they are SO intelligent we have even succeeded in learning them to communicate with us using sign language, however, even though they can communicate, no monkey on earth that can do this ever asked us a single question. they don't care about "why" they feel certain things, they just feel them. we as a species have gotten to a point where we don't need our natural instincts anymore, and thus we wonder why we ever did needed them.

4. I just exist. -image-

5. @builder7555 Basically what I'm thinking lol

6. Edited 7 years ago by Abbasilol

Well, dats good you think dat way, yea i dont believe in the word of *animal* too, each creature is unique, we should even compare them with each other, and everything have its purpose for existance, even the dust under your feet, we have some persian poems dat says you should shake the dust from your hand with respect, cus God created it, like how he created you.
    And who said dat soul is supernatural, these thing are pure natural, but ppl mostly say *Supernatural* to things dat they dont have enough knowledge about, just imagine you time travel to 1000 years ago, and try to tell somebody dere about a black hole, imagine the conversation, probably if he is cool and wise he`ll tell you to keep your head outa of the clouds and dont think about supernatural things, and if he is not cool, then he simply kick you outa of his room. and also i agree with scientifc stuff about some senses, cus its even mentioned in Qu`ran by God, i study physics and mathamatics (Astronomy) myself. but we should remember dat soul and body are two seperate things, and soul is not Consciousness but Consciousness is one of the effects of soul, for example one of the things that our science cannot tell yet, is why and how we can see future in our dreams when we are asleep, witch acoording to Qu`ran and prophet muhammad and imam ali words, our soul seperates our body when we are asleep, and time and space dosnt affect our soul and it`ll move through time and you may see a part of the future in your dreams, and ye they mentioned dat most of the dreams happen in your memory and brain, but for a person who didnt lost his soul yet, probably he will see more dreams with certain meanings, also we loose consciousness from our body for the same reason when we are sleep.
    idk how you think dat there is no purpose for life, as i said everything has a meaning and purpose, and according to Qu`ran and Ali and muhammad words, this life is just a test for us, well we cannot understand the meaning of everything`s life but we have to understand meaning of our lives, God said in Qu`ran dat this World is nothing but a test, a game, witch you join and when you die you leave it, our true life is somewhere else, we are on an adventure, witch we may fall or we may rise, probably when we return to our home, we will not be the same as Gandalf said :D. and our true form is our soul not our body, our body is like the rest of creatures, there may be aliens (and yeah EVEN aliens are mentioned in Qu`ran) dat have more powerful body than use, more powerful brain and everyhing, for example God mentions dat jhins are more power than humans, far more powerful, but yet he said that we are the Greatest Creation,(Witch lead a good jhin to turn into devil). as God says is Qu`ran, he gave Adam and havva( i dunno her name in english but yeah the first humans) from his own essence. witch is crazy, Life is not without purpose and no one is animal, every creature has its own purpose and creation, comparing these things with each other is stupid and as i said up there, God mentions dat our senses come out of our body witch is called desires, dats why we shouldnt act and rely on them, cus they are nothing but some chemical and physical reactions, but yet God gave them to us , so they are nor bad neither good, you should control them and in its place, everything is good, We are all on an adventure (Acoording to Qu`ran) :) .

7. This

@Ealdwine_Drasax What is it that makes us happy? Well then we should then look at the definition of happy, only one definition endures in our society. it is the absence of discomfort and a state that presents pleasure and comfort. With this in mind, how many here are happy with their actual lives? What is it that generates your happiness? Is it achievement, relationships, or perhaps, our meaning the motivation that erects us from our bed and drives us through the day. Yet, you might feel alone, angry, sad, or you just lose your solidarity, you think you are insignificant and truly don't matter.
    Yet, when you do those things that generates your happiness these feelings still return in time allowing you to feel something that is not happiness. So I ask with this unending cycle, what is Happiness and what makes you truly happy?

Off topic. I sense a lock coming.

Back to what was being talked about, my point of abstraction formulating different views of the universe still stands. I prefer to believe what it is for what it is. A human is a person. Humans are also made with the same stuff as other things. So on and so on. In a sea of many beliefs that pass and go with th tides of time it's best for you to simply see what isn't swaying with the waves as you sit having the waves lap at you

8. Edited 7 years ago by Abbasilol

Humans are also made with the same stuff as other things

@GrinningBobcat MY friend, i have to tell you EVEN dat is mentioned in Qu`ran xD. God said dat everything dat is visilbe to us, humans,animals,stars,planets etc, are made out of dust, we all have the same essence according to Qu`ran and God said this essence as *Dust*, this word is used there mysteriously witch makes you think for a while whenver you see it in the book.
    also its no Off topic, since Ealdwine asked *What is Happiness?*.
    and wut we were talkin wos this xD

how many here are happy with their actual lives?

dat one is a good question, probably ppl can help those kind of ppl who are not happy somehow, idk lel.

9. I still prefer to not see anything in religious views and prefer scientific.

I still believe happiness is an effect of evolution, and we shouldn't try to complicate it with human-created ideas. (Some would argue that religion itself is a human creation, believe it or not)
    Not that religion isn't a great way of viewing the world, it's just not for me.

Anyway, what makes me happy is accomplishing something and showing what I'm capable of. It releases some pretty neat chemicals.

10. I just wished to create a sense of Mindfulness. How many of us focus, analyze, or even give ourselves a second look? We take the world for granted. Its an extraordinary thing, people do not realize that we march like automations not taking in the pleasures of life. When I talk to anyone about their lives I find dissatisfaction in all of them. from those who are the proletariat to the bourgeoisie its quite fascinating.

11. Well apparently what makes you guys happy is philosophy and existential questions.

12. @OtherGreenGamer Well apparently what makes you guys happy is philosophy and existential questions.

Do you propose that we exist only to question the unknown and nondefinate?

13. lol @BaronBattleBread Where you the devil's advocate in your college classes?

14. Edited 7 years ago by GrinningBobcat

@BaronBattleBread Do you propose that we exist only to question the unknown and nondefinate?

You give it your own purpose. We prefer curiousity as the way to give it purpose.

@Ealdwine_Drasax I just wished to create a sense of Mindfulness. How many of us focus, analyze, or even give ourselves a second look? We take the world for granted. Its an extraordinary thing, people do not realize that we march like automations not taking in the pleasures of life. When I talk to anyone about their lives I find dissatisfaction in all of them. from those who are the proletariat to the bourgeoisie its quite fascinating.

Sums up what makes me happy. Curiosity being what else can I take in.

@Abbasilol everything is dust can be taken as a fine compound made atoms. The dust referred by you can be considered as atoms being dust since if you have enough of an element it is called (element name here) dust. Interesting to see how religions reference this. Maybe it was because they witnessed the decay and erosion of things for long enough and assumed it was crumbling dust.. dunno but cool to know the Qur'an supports that argument

how many here are happy with their actual lives?

I can say I am but its more of a content feeling if anything because continuously being happy is a struggle unnatural feeling. One isn't simply ALWAYS happy. Emotioms shift from negative to positive and that's what keeps me from saying happy and instead saying content

15. @Ealdwine_Drasax I just wished to create a sense of Mindfulness. How many of us focus, analyze, or even give ourselves a second look? We take the world for granted. Its an extraordinary thing, people do not realize that we march like automations not taking in the pleasures of life. When I talk to anyone about their lives I find dissatisfaction in all of them. from those who are the proletariat to the bourgeoisie its quite fascinating.

you sound like the stage director from Our Town by thornton wilder.
    props to you
    and anyone who's read that great book

or Sign Up to reply!