Render distance?

1. 7 years ago
    Deleted 6 years ago by Compos
  2. Edited 7 years ago by r4iscool1

While such a thing would be theoretically possible I think, given Crafties panel tracks players it's a bad idea for a number of reasons I think.

3 Hours is a long period, the server population can easily double or triple which combined with a large render distance could easily crash the server or make it unplayable. We would be compromising our up-time for possible but probably minimal play benefits.
    The render distance last time I checked is set to 5 anyway.

Another thing to note is that mob spawning problems are often not to due to render distance issues although they certainly contribute but Mojangs shoddy implementation of mob caps and various other bugs contributing. Setting the render distance higher would not impact on spawning rates hugely.
    For example when you log on in GMT afternoons where there tends to be 20 or less players the spawn rates tend to be very very good.

The VIP+ idea is pretty bad too since the times we have the most VIP's online is the busy periods where having a high render distance would impact on the performance dramatically, it could also potentially violate the EULA.

It is a nice idea however it's just the current level of restarts and Mojang bugs make it untenable.

3. It's a good idea but I think the rate at which it could update (3 hours) is just too slow. The server could find itself in a situation where it has way too many players and too much of a render distance. Or it would find itself with no players and a tiny render distance.

It would also cause confusion when players ask what the render distance is and they get possibly up to 8 different results in a day.

Ram is not an issue (we are using less than 1/10th of our ram) and tps calculation is quite a spammy process that fills the logs. A fluxation of tps at the wrong time could cause it to select the wrong render distance and cripple the server.

4. Deleted 6 years ago by Compos
  5. @JKELLER4000 "It would also cause confusion when players ask what the render distance is and they get possibly up to 8 different results in a day."

I am not familiar with command blocks . are they able to use variables? can you have the command that tells the render distance to be dynamic also?

well ok the reason why i want the higher render distance is

http://minecraft.gamepedia.com/Spawn#Despawning

"A mob will immediately despawn if there is no player within 128 blocks of it. "

so if we set chunk render distance to 128/16= 8 all mobs that are no longer active will despawn! and then we will not ever reach the mob cap!

right now we have render distance of 6? (6*16)^2 or a total of 9260 sqaure meters.

pi*128^2= 51445 square meters.

therefor only 9/51 *100= 17% of mobs are elegiable for despawn so after ~5 rounds of mob spawning and despaneing no new mobs will spawn because we will have hit the mob cap :(

(I used bad math because mobs do not despawn if they are withing 32 blocks of a person so the math comes out a bit worse than the math i have shown if we remove 2 chunks from render distance :( )

http://minecraft.gamepedia.com/Spawn#Mob_cap

I guess if it is possible to raise the mob cap. if we are not going to allow mobs to despawn. then raising the cap would allow for a high mob count and a more time equally number of mobs. instead of just the 15 mins after a restart?

if we are not running into ram or internet problems or hard drive bottle necks. then having millions of mobs stored off map not moving will not cause any cpu usage as they are not moving nor loaded!

Render distance is stored in the server.propeties and cannot be changed by command blocks.

It would still be a confusing concept to have the server give a different answer for what the render distance is up to 8 times per day.

While we are not running low on RAM, we are 99% of the time maxing out our CPU and recently I just hit 88% usage on our SSD (causing me to split apart the RAID to get more space).

The biggest contributor to lag right after chunk generation is entities (especially the ones with AI and logic). I purposely set the render distance low to enforce the mob cap.

It's either a low render distance and mob cap or a player limit of 20 players. You can't have both 50-60 players and a render distance of 8-10, it's just not possible with the current performance of Minecraft and our server. I would like to upgrade to the "7700k @ 5.0ghz, NVMe SSD" once they come out of beta, but for now, I'm not sure it would be a good idea to rais the render distance/mob cap.

6. Also, at the times that it would have enough extra resources to dynamically increase the render distance, the mob cap is almost not an issue. When there are only 10-20 players, mob rates are about 100%

7. @JKELLER4000 right now we have render distance of 6?

I don't know where this rumour keeps coming from. It's still 5, and you can test it very easily in game using redstone or entities.

Also your maths is a bit off - you've calculated how much of a circle with radius 128 can be filled up by a square with a side length of 96. What you actually need to do is calculate how much of a square with a side length of 112 is no inside a circle with radius 128. Which is 0%

Why is the square side length 112? Minecraft only processes entities like mobs if they're inside chunks that have at least a 5x5 area of chunks loaded around them (i.e. 2 chunks out in every direction). This means that although the render distance is 5, entities only get processed up to 3 chunks away from the player. Which makes a 7x7 chunk square around a player that processes entities (counting the chunk you're in).

Mr Pythagoras makes it easy to see entities never get to beyond 128 blocks from a player:
    approx furthest away from player entities can be processed = √(64^2+64^2) = 90 ish blocks

@CraftyMyner When there are only 10-20 players, mob rates are about 100%

I'm really surprised by this (I also don't really understand what you mean or how you got this number) because any player standing still or not moving around much will accumulate mobs around them over time that can't despawn, but fill up the mob cap. I guess with so few players on people don't afk enough for this to matter.

8. Deleted 6 years ago by Compos

or Sign Up to reply!