Strange Meanings

1. 7 years ago

So I have seen various cases of people being banned/kicked for having certain slang words that are considered by some to be rude or effensive in their names. First of all I am legitimately curious to know where you guys (staff) learned all these slang words and their alternate meanings. Secondly I am almost certain that the vast majority of players on CraftyMynes do not know the meanings of these words. So I must ask... Is it REALLY necessary to make such a fuss about these words if no one is getting offended by them?

2. Edited 7 years ago by FishW

Not to argue but to be fair players from all over the world play, so if lets say the word potato means simply the vegetable to me and you, but it means something much worse to someone else, and not just them but anyone from their reason, then I think it'd be simple enough to simply ask that the word be used in moderation or simply not in the profane context. No use in alienating people over some word as to which could easily be replaced by any number of other words in our language. Now as for what you ask, does the use of a certain word or words upset people. I can't really comment I guess, and I could see an arguement for some words to be used even if they have a bit of an edgy meaning. Provided they weren't used in an offensive way.
    I think you can find a good deal of stuff like slang and all on the internet, and on communities such as Craftymynes, which in a sense is what they are trying to elminate. Kinda a vicious cycle in a way. Some of it is region specific though.
    I don't think anyone should be punished if they use a word in a legit unharmful way and it has a more profane meaning, but staff should have the right to respectfully ask the word be refrained from or such. And if the player doesn't like it then they also have the option to respectfully ask a higher level staff or crafty himself, and all the staff can look into it. All respectful of course.

I didnt really answer anything you asked/said I guess... kind of a side thing that I thought of lol.

3. staff are a largely diverce group of people in both age and location. we know alot, together.. we can pretty much swear at you in 6 different languages and 3 generations. XD

its not always about what people as a whole know.
    When people bring up names that are "grey", as in they could mean something, or not- as long as they dont directly relate to drugs, sex, politics or a varity of social nonsense, we let it slide. if they can get away with it for an ammount of time before someone (and someone always does eventually) complains, we leave it be.
    But we've been doing this a long time now. and despite some staff with more.. agressive styles, we all notice the people who'll turn out to be rotten when they first join.

4. Staff use reasonable judgement as to whether a word could be interpreted in an insulting or otherwise offensive manner. Like Baron said in the case of grey areas to which you seem to be referring, we usually let it slide unless someone complains. In which case we usually ask them to change depending on the nature of the complaint. We don't always side with the complainer but we do look at other sources to help decide on whether their name could be reasonably interpreted as offensive or controversial by players.
    It's absolutely necessary to maintain the chat moderation so I don't know why you are asking that.

5. The reason I brought it up is that some players may have had their usernames for a long time and in my opinion it is not reasonable to ask them to simply change it because it may or may not be offensive to one person out of hundreds

I'm not saying there should not be chat moderation, I just believe that it should only be enforced when absolutely necessary

6. Edited 7 years ago by r4iscool1

@_Haxington_ The reason I brought it up is that some players may have had their usernames for a long time and in my opinion it is not reasonable to ask them to simply change it because it may or may not be offensive to one person out of hundreds

I'm not saying there should not be chat moderation, I just believe that it should only be enforced when absolutely necessary

I'd be surprised if they have had a name a long time without someone else disputing it.
    The situation above does not exist however, like baron said if the reference is vague enough and no one complains we usually let it slide however if we receive complaints which we often do then it's perfectly reasonable to ask a name to be changed. Everyone else has to follow the rules after all and ensure that chat is an inclusive, non offensive and child friendly place.

We tend to have a stricter chat moderation standard than certain other vanilla servers since we cater to a large audience and have a lot of children and families playing the game.
    Therefore lightly moderating chat and only touching when absolutely necessary isn't really an option.

7. Most children probably would not know the meaning of certain slang words but I get your point, fair enough.

8. This issue with @iDogeTwinkie and "knobhead" is a good example

I didn't know knobhead was slang for dickhead until today :)

This leaves me with a question:

Who the fuck sits on their fat ass and comes up with these pointless slang words? The "streetwise lingo" that people use sounds like something a damn 3 year old would come up with.

9. Edited 7 years ago by r4iscool1

@_Confederacy_ This issue with @iDogeTwinkie and "knobhead" is a good example

I didn't know knobhead was slang for dickhead until today :)

This leaves me with a question:

Who the fuck sits on their fat ass and comes up with these pointless slang words? The "streetwise lingo" that people use sounds like something a damn 3 year old would come up with.

It really depends on location, where I'm from calling someone a knobhead would be a common enough insult.
    That's the issue with slang it's often fuzzy and hard to define, it evolves with trends.

10. It seems to me it is often not exactly what the word is but how you use it.

As for knobhead i only recently learned its vulgar meaning but i asked my other half and he said of course it means that and it is in common use.

I also think some people use so much vulgar language that they become desensitised to it and dont realise how unpleasant being around them can be. Staff try to strike a balance on this server over what is and isnt acceptable for a server that caters for all ages and quite frankly it is surprisingly difficult. Even having been on the staff for several months now, it is still not easy deciding on the run what is and isnt ok for chat and for player names.

11. If confused ask urban dictionary

or Sign Up to reply!