Lack of Hostile Mob Spawning Lately

1. 7 years ago

Hey guys,

It seems as though lately, the rate at which hostile mobs spawn at night and in caves as gone down drastically. Many players including myself have had problems with it and I would imagine this is linked with the increased population on the server as of late. One of the moderators or admins (I forget who it was) explained to me that there is a general worldwide limit on the amount of hostile mobs that can be spawned at any given time and that a larger amounts of loaded chunks causes few if any mobs to spawn in if the cap is reached. I would imagine that this problem is exacerbated by the amount of XP grinders that many players have on the server.

This issue renders many of the aspects of the game virtually unplayable especially with the new update making gunpowder a commodity. I personally have been trying to get a zombie villager to start my village for almost 3-4 IRL days now but to no avail. I have also tried playing at times when fewer players are online (3-4AM), but this seems to only marginally increase the spawn rates.

If what I was told is correct, would there be a way to increase the server-wide hostile mob cap without causing a tremendous amount of lag to accommodate for the higher server population? Perhaps there would be a way to increase the cap depending on how many players are online (with a limit of course). Hopefully there is a foreseeable solution. Cheers

- Mike_n_ike4

2. Edited 7 years ago by gilbertboys

I'm pretty sure they can increase the hostile mob cap in /gamerule.

3. @gilbertboys I'm pretty sure they can alter the hostile mob cap in /gamerule.

I don't think so... I've used /gamerule on single player to stop mob spawning but I haven't seen anything to throttle spawn rates.

If you want increased spawn rates you can always use an alt. If you don't have an alt then hunt mobs with friends and make sure to do this when the general population is lower than usual

I use an alt to increase spawn rates on my enderman farm when there are people in the end.

4. do you mean that if more players are in an area more mobs spawn?

5. i noticed it too. not enough creepers and zombies for me haha

6. I've noticed there haven't been many spawns lately, I have seen 2 creepers over this week and my slime farm doesn't work at all.

7. I saw 3 creepers right next to each other yesterday and I thought it was a miracle.

8. Quoting myself here:

Ok guys here is some (Pseudo) Minecraft Code for ya

The game saves something called 'Local Difficulty'

TLDR The longer you stay in a specific area, the more mobs spawn. You can view this in F3. IE when you first come to an area, not much will spawn. After more than 50 hours in one area, the difficulty will suddenly begin to rise quickly.

To quote the Minecraft Wiki:

The “inhabited time" of a chunk increases for each tick a player spends with the chunk loaded. This is a cumulative measure of time—if 50 players spend a single hour in a chunk, it counts the same as if one player spent 50 hours there. The effect of inhabited time on regional difficulty is capped at 50 hours.

Total play time in the world also contributes to regional difficulty. This effect doesn't begin until after the first hour of play time and is capped at 21 hours.

TotalTimeFactor, ChunkFactor, and RegionalDifficulty are floating-point variables MoonPhase is as in the table above. if ( TotalPlayTime > 21 hours ) TotalTimeFactor = 0.25 else if ( TotalPlayTime < 1 hour ) TotalTimeFactor = 0 else TotalTimeFactor = ( TotalPlayTimeInTicks - 72,000 ) / 5,760,000 if ( ChunkInhabitedTime > 50 hours ) ChunkFactor = 1 else ChunkFactor = ChunkInhabitedTimeInTicks / 3,600,000 if (difficulty is not Hard) multiply ChunkFactor by 3/4 if ( MoonPhase / 4 > TotalTimeFactor ) add TotalTimeFactor to ChunkFactor else add MoonPhase / 4 to ChunkFactor if ( difficulty is Easy ) divide ChunkFactor by 2 RegionalDifficulty = 0.75 + TotalTimeFactor + ChunkFactor if (difficulty is Normal) multiply RegionalDifficulty by 2 if (difficulty is Hard) multiply RegionalDifficulty by 3 return RegionalDifficulty

9. Lol I've got a farm. not to mention I am hunting for these guys, if anyone wants mob loot pm me. I'll be doing these in order first come first serve. it's affecting me badly so I am just getting a trickle of drops

10. I have noticed on multiple occasions that more mobs tend to spawn in deserts...

11. @_Haxington_ i noticed that too.
    It may be due to many people going through those deserts to gather cactus or other resources, ntm deserts are repetitive and expansive, players may go over an area twice if they get turned around.

12. @_Haxington_ I have noticed on multiple occasions that more mobs tend to spawn in deserts...

Flat area+low entity count=high hostile mob spawning

Deserts usualy have no mobs and at best have rabbits so makes sense

13. @_Haxington_ I have noticed on multiple occasions that more mobs tend to spawn in deserts...

I've also recently noticed this within 5 minutes of building round my base and there's 4 or so husks at my door despite the area being decently lit up

14. @mike_n_ike4 there is a general worldwide limit on the amount of hostile mobs that can be spawned at any given time and that a larger amounts of loaded chunks causes few if any mobs to spawn in if the cap is reached

If anyone's interested the mob cap depends on the number of loaded chunks. So the more chunks are loaded the higher the cap.

The two main reasons why spawns appear to be so low are:

1. Mob caps are shared between everyone. If you're killing mobs around you but other players aren't, over time mobs will tend to accumulate around players who aren't killing them. Building up to the cap and basically blocking spawns around you.
    2. The render distance is low to improve performance. Unfortunately this means that the mob cap is naturally low because few chunks are loaded around each player.

@_Confederacy_ If you want increased spawn rates you can always use an alt

This is a good idea - but (stinky but) it's only really practical in the nether and end (like you said). Different dimensions have their own mob cap. Generally there's so many people in the overworld it won't make any difference, but in the end it doesn't even matter it might work. Just make sure nothing can spawn around your alt.

@Tez1010 do you mean that if more players are in an area more mobs spawn?

It's kinda the opposite. Mob caps depend on the number of chunks loaded, so if players are more spread out more chunks are loaded so the mob caps are higher.

@TheBlizWiz Local difficulty does bugger all to affect mob spawn rates or caps, except for slimes in swamps

If anyone wants any more bedtime reading to send them to sleep this old thread might be interesting :)

or Sign Up to reply!