Rule Sticklers

1. 7 years ago

It's all too often i see in chat, even when staff are on to enforce the rules, people flood the chat with "caps" "watch the spam" etc.

I get it, the rules of the chat should be followed even when staff aren't on, but when 20 people all say "caps" in chat all it does is spam. Also here's a scenario I see way too often:

New_player1337: ANYONE WANNA BASE WITH ME!?!?!
    Lieutenant_Mitch: caps
    candystepcat: caps
    Bone_Cook3r: caps
    BK_Novice: caps
    Like 10 other people: caps

There's a few things wrong with this. First of all, you're just spamming the chat. Second, when all you do is say "caps" to a new player, you're not actually specifically telling them that caps aren't allowed, so what you said in chat is redundant. You should probably say something like "Hey New_player1337, all caps are against the rules" because it is specific and gets the point across to the player.

Then there are the people who feel the need to say "caps" when staff are on to handle the situation. They're staff for a variety of reasons, and one of them is to help moderate the chat. What you're basically saying is that staff can't do their jobs well enough that you have to jump in and attempt to handle it. Well if I were a new player I sure as hell wouldn't listen to you if you weren't staff. So if a staff member is on, just let them handle it, it's their job.

2. I thought this was going to be a new faction :/

3. Edited 7 years ago by r4iscool1

So what ?
    Are you proposing we just scrap the rules when staff arent on ?
    People need to be warned and sometimes messages are redudant buts thats fine and better than the alternative.

As for saying "Caps". Its well known shorthand on the internet and minecraft servers, its also very self explanatory.
    If the player needs further explanation they can ask, but the vast ammount of the time they won't and more importantly our time isnt wasted.

I myself find it useful when people answer questions and inform players of the rules when Im on.
    Provided its reasonable i see no issue.
    You should obey the rules regardless of who tells you, i trust most of our VIPs to know the rules.

Complaints like these aren't very useful unless we have a suggestion on how to rectify it.

4. I can agree sometimes that it will be spammy if everyone says "caps". But I disagree that you are saying then that staff can't do their job.

5. Deleted 7 years ago by Blackened_Dawn
  6. Edited 7 years ago by SharpSerac

@R4iscool1 Are you proposing we just scrap the rules when staff arent on ?

That's not what I said at all, just that I believe that 20 people don't need to say the same thing back to back for one person breaking a single rule. 1 person can easily say something to them and be done with it.

@R4iscool1 As for saying "Caps". Its well known shorthand on the internet and minecraft servers, its also very self explanatory.
    If the player needs further explanation they can ask, but the vast ammount of the time they won't and more importantly our time isnt wasted.

I played Minecraft quite a bit and this is the only server I've seen where people say "caps" and nothing else following it. Maybe I just didn't look hard enough but still I've only seen it here.

@R4iscool1 I myself find it useful when people answer questions and inform players of the rules when Im on.
    Provided its reasonable i see no issue.
    You should obey the rules regardless of who tells you, i trust most of our VIPs to know the rules.

Yes, answering questions is useful whether or not you're staff, but I said that enforcing rules is a staff thing. Also a new player wouldn't know if others (like VIP's) know the rules or not, therefore having staff tell them will get the point across better. Sometimes staff aren't on, but one should inform the person that it is against the rules instead of telling them to stop doing it because simply telling them to stop doesn't inform them that it is against the rules.

@CactusOwnage I can agree sometimes that it will be spammy if everyone says "caps". But I disagree that you are saying then that staff can't do their job.

I don't really understand what you mean by that, but if I'm reading it right then here's my response. I didn't say that staff can't do their job, but by saying "caps" in chat you are implying that staff can't enforce the rules themselves.

7. Umm why was this post made even? You didnt propose a solution just kinda complained.... It is just gonna make people not like you... But the only possible thing to fix this would be to have every single player united under one thing. I mean as a player if I used caps and several players said "caps" I'd be embarassed and I wouldn't use caps again. Then again I never use caps to begin with. You have a good thought, though maybe you should've talked to crafty ingame or an admin. Please don't hate me I mean no disrespect :)

8. but by saying "caps" in chat you are implying that staff can't enforce the rules themselves.

In what context does saying "Caps" imply that staff can't enforce the rules?

Also here's a scenario I see way too often:

New_player1337: ANYONE WANNA BASE WITH ME!?!?!
    Lieutenant_Mitch: caps
    candystepcat: caps
    Bone_Cook3r: caps
    BK_Novice: caps
    Like 10 other people: caps

I personally think by multiple people warning a player, it implies that not just staff is bothered by it.

Then there are the people who feel the need to say "caps" when staff are on to handle the situation. They're staff for a variety of reasons, and one of them is to help moderate the chat. What you're basically saying is that staff can't do their jobs well enough that you have to jump in and attempt to handle it. Well if I were a new player I sure as hell wouldn't listen to you if you weren't staff. So if a staff member is on, just let them handle it, it's their job.

And what if staff aren't on? What if staff is AFK? What if they're ignoring staff members?

All these questions are unanswered.

I also want to add that people warning others should in no way bother you, and if it does it's a problem with you not the community.

9. @SharpSerac That's not what I said at all, just that I believe that 20 people don't need to say the same thing back to back for one person breaking a single rule. 1 person can easily say something to them and be done with it.

I played Minecraft quite a bit and this is the only server I've seen where people say "caps" and nothing else following it. Maybe I just didn't look hard enough but still I've only seen it here.

Yes, answering questions is useful whether or not you're staff, but I said that enforcing rules is a staff thing. Also a new player wouldn't know if others (like VIP's) know the rules or not, therefore having staff tell them will get the point across better. Sometimes staff aren't on, but one should inform the person that it is against the rules instead of telling them to stop doing it because simply telling them to stop doesn't inform them that it is against the rules.

I don't really understand what you mean by that, but if I'm reading it right then here's my response. I didn't say that staff can't do their job, but by saying "caps" in chat you are implying that staff can't enforce the rules themselves.

How can we prevent them then ?
    People don't know someone else is going to say caps until they say it, especially with chat lag.
    I'd rather overkill it than underkill it.

It's common jargon and self explanatory.
    Evidenced by the fact most people understand it instantly.

Yes and when staff aren't here, its up to the players to inform us of problems and try to prevent them ocurring.
    A new player wouldn't even know if a VIP isn't staff tbh and if they have an issue then they can direct that to the staff. However like in most cases they will recognise the rule regardless of the player that informed them and stop violating it.
    Generally they are told it's against the rules so far as I am aware.

No you aren't implying that, you are implying that you want to help staff do their jobs and make their lives easier.
    What I meant however is you haven't provided any suggestions on how to solve this supposed issue.

10. Solution: if staff are on wait for them to say something, if they are AFK then say something, if someone else says something, don't say something or inform them of the rule instead of re-stating what was already said.

11. I do not agree with you on this Sharp. It's up to the players to inform staff of people that are breaking rules when they are not on.

12. Then inform the staff, I just don't think that 20 people need to say the same to get the same result. You can easily hit escape and stop typing if you see someone warn them of the rules

13. Players responding to caps only show that they care enough for the server and our rules to uphold them if they are able to. Yes it can get spammy when everyone does it but it outweighs the alternative of everyone ignoring him and the player thinking caps are okay
    Also, to start with how does the player know who staff are? Even though they can see the list at the very start, most will ignore it. Having our players respond to violations like that is not harm, and doesn't hurt anyone

14. I don't see how spam is not as bad as caps. Spam actually disrupts the flow of the chat, while caps are only a minor annoyance (I personally am not annoyed by caps). I don't see a difference between one person spamming and multiple people spamming, it is the same effect. So if they do care about the server, they would see that someone has already responded to the player that broke the rule and would not repeat what has already been said.

15. Complainy thread is complainy. Sorry SharpSerac but you're complaining about something you cannot control.
    Do you suggest staff tell players to stop saying "Caps.". Won't happen, It's normal like the ravens love of shiny things and the penguins love of mackerel.
    Caw. Caw.

16. Deleted 7 years ago by r4iscool1
  17. Deleted 7 years ago by r4iscool1
  18. Deleted 7 years ago by r4iscool1
  19. Edited 7 years ago by r4iscool1

@SharpSerac Solution: if staff are on wait for them to say something, if they are AFK then say something, if someone else says something, don't say something or inform them of the rule instead of re-stating what was already said.

What if im busy ?
    I generally dont want to drop everything and type out a message everytime someone uses caps.
    Its nice to have people to help somewhat.
    It also helps us to find those willing to help the server.

The problem with that is, no one knows who will say what and with chat lag, all the caps messages appear almost instantaneously.
    Therefore by the time someone sees it was said they have already sent theirs.

20. @SharpSerac Then inform the staff, I just don't think that 20 people need to say the same to get the same result. You can easily hit escape and stop typing if you see someone warn them of the rules

Chat lag.

@SharpSerac I don't see how spam is not as bad as caps. Spam actually disrupts the flow of the chat, while caps are only a minor annoyance (I personally am not annoyed by caps). I don't see a difference between one person spamming and multiple people spamming, it is the same effect. So if they do care about the server, they would see that someone has already responded to the player that broke the rule and would not repeat what has already been said.

Except they dont see it, since with chat lag they will have already sent the message by the time someone else does.

21. Newer ›

or Sign Up to reply!