Rule Sticklers

1. ‹ Older
  2. 7 years ago

Then inform the staff, I just don't think that 20 people need to say the same to get the same result. You can easily hit escape and stop typing if you see someone warn them of the rules

3. Players responding to caps only show that they care enough for the server and our rules to uphold them if they are able to. Yes it can get spammy when everyone does it but it outweighs the alternative of everyone ignoring him and the player thinking caps are okay
    Also, to start with how does the player know who staff are? Even though they can see the list at the very start, most will ignore it. Having our players respond to violations like that is not harm, and doesn't hurt anyone

4. I don't see how spam is not as bad as caps. Spam actually disrupts the flow of the chat, while caps are only a minor annoyance (I personally am not annoyed by caps). I don't see a difference between one person spamming and multiple people spamming, it is the same effect. So if they do care about the server, they would see that someone has already responded to the player that broke the rule and would not repeat what has already been said.

5. Complainy thread is complainy. Sorry SharpSerac but you're complaining about something you cannot control.
    Do you suggest staff tell players to stop saying "Caps.". Won't happen, It's normal like the ravens love of shiny things and the penguins love of mackerel.
    Caw. Caw.

6. Deleted 7 years ago by r4iscool1
  7. Deleted 7 years ago by r4iscool1
  8. Deleted 7 years ago by r4iscool1
  9. Edited 7 years ago by r4iscool1

@SharpSerac Solution: if staff are on wait for them to say something, if they are AFK then say something, if someone else says something, don't say something or inform them of the rule instead of re-stating what was already said.

What if im busy ?
    I generally dont want to drop everything and type out a message everytime someone uses caps.
    Its nice to have people to help somewhat.
    It also helps us to find those willing to help the server.

The problem with that is, no one knows who will say what and with chat lag, all the caps messages appear almost instantaneously.
    Therefore by the time someone sees it was said they have already sent theirs.

10. @SharpSerac Then inform the staff, I just don't think that 20 people need to say the same to get the same result. You can easily hit escape and stop typing if you see someone warn them of the rules

Chat lag.

@SharpSerac I don't see how spam is not as bad as caps. Spam actually disrupts the flow of the chat, while caps are only a minor annoyance (I personally am not annoyed by caps). I don't see a difference between one person spamming and multiple people spamming, it is the same effect. So if they do care about the server, they would see that someone has already responded to the player that broke the rule and would not repeat what has already been said.

Except they dont see it, since with chat lag they will have already sent the message by the time someone else does.

11. Chat lag is less than a second, maybe a second at most.

12. Edited 7 years ago by r4iscool1

@SharpSerac Chat lag is less than a second, maybe a second at most.

Not really, it all depends on the client.
    Also thats all it takes for me to tap out caps.

Really though I don't see how this is an issue either.

13. Deleted 7 years ago by r4iscool1
  14. Edited 7 years ago by AP0C4L1P53

@Everyone

When you join the server you appear in the New Player's Room, you get your starting kit and a Guide Book, which clearly says some of the most important rules with the [Accept] or [Deny] the rules.

TBH 99.999999999999999.... % of players they don't care about the rules and just want to play. Even with the signs all over the room saying what to do in order to play, to click the book, read the book and accept if you want to play, if not, you will be in New Player's Room for ever.

I've noticed that players and staff often warn the players who are breaking the Caps rule. Which clearly says in the rules section on the top of the CraftyMynes forum web page:

Practice good chat etiquette - Don’t use caps, don’t spam, don’t discuss controversial, sensitive or offensive topics (e.g. sex, sexual identity or preferences, race, politics, religion, drugs, etc.), no advertising, no links, no trolling. Please only use the minecraft font and English in global chat. Also part of chat etiquette is having an appropriately named character since your name appears on the player list and in chat. If your name is inappropriate you will be asked to change it. You will likely be banned until you do.

I know it can be sometimes excessive, recursive and without doubt it can spam from different players, the fact that a lot of players who clearly know the rules, make a comment about caps to someone who is using them.

I agree that staff should be the one handling the situation in a better way, and adding the "why" to caps. Personally, I tend to put a why to it and ask to avoid caps in different ways. Because believe it or not, the amount of players using caps surpasses way way way more than people cheating in a day, so it becomes a little annoying and typing recursively the same thing over and over and over... and over again. It just comes to "caps" or "caps pls" or "no caps" "avoid caps" "keep it lower case" "we invite you to read the rules section please, and learn that caps are forbidden in the server".

Imagine typing that every single time some1 uses caps (which is a lot!). Thats why we have rules.
    But, (there is a but) in certain situations staff might be online, but busy in projects within the server, helping/attending/assisting some other player in need of help, etc, they (we, staff) can be busy, or afk; or simply due to our busy lives, there are no staff online.
    So that section of the rules are "enforced" by our regular players that clearly know about it. So it's a thing we might have to look at more in detail, but believe me, its in the rules and every player should and must read the rules properly so there are no surprises.

Think about it that staff has to pay the price every single time a player just clicks [Accept] to play and does nothing to know about the server, then something happens and then Ban Appeals start to appear in the forum's section and all because the players almost never read the rules completely.

So the answer to all of this and future problems is to read and understand every single rule that we have, because 100% of the time that there is a problem it's because a player broke a rule.

Its simple, follow the rules and there will be NO problems at all.

So, we invite you to read and understand our rules here once and for all.

15. @SharpSerac I don't see how spam is not as bad as caps. Spam actually disrupts the flow of the chat, while caps are only a minor annoyance (I personally am not annoyed by caps). I don't see a difference between one person spamming and multiple people spamming, it is the same effect. So if they do care about the server, they would see that someone has already responded to the player that broke the rule and would not repeat what has already been said.

This mostly seems answered already but i wanted to add one last point. How would you suggest fixing the issue of everyone answering with "caps" at once then? How do you possibly set the standard? There's a funny phenomenon actually about scenarios like this, there is an actual term referring to them regarding social psychological interactions but it escapes me at the moment, let me put it simply:

You're annoyed that everyone is answering at once, okay that's understandable, but there are many variables you have to take into account first...

First up, what you seem to suggest is that "everyone should just wait a few seconds to see if someone responds first" then it wont get spammy. Alright that sounds like a good suggestion... but lets put it into action:

HEY WHO WANTS TO BASE WITH ME?
    (Everyone on the server waits a second to see if anyone responds...)
    (ok well nobody else is gonna say it)

@SharpSerac Lieutenant_Mitch: caps
    candystepcat: caps
    Bone_Cook3r: caps
    BK_Novice: caps
    Like 10 other people: caps

well shit that didnt work at all, everyone waited about the same amount of time and the very scenario you sought to avoid still occurred... just later

Next im sure you would say, "well thats impossible, someone would've answered sooner than everyone else..."

which is actually quite likely yes, but the point is, over time... the accepted norm would be to wait a few seconds to respond to messages like this... so the majority of regular players would become accustomed to waiting, but at the same time they would now realize that everyone else may be waiting... but wait! everyone else is thinking the same thing now too! so everyone answers at once again... trying to be "the one" that goes first...

Therein lies the problem... theres no way to fix this, and thats without even factoring in chat lag. Beyond the psychological dynamic there are even more factors...

You want to correct the issue as fast as possible so as to prevent any further infractions by the player using caps, other players may or not know whether or not staff is on or not... and maybe they checked a few minutes ago and there werent any, BUT, staff is on now but they missed them coming online so they answer anyway... or staff is afk and people wait for them to handle it... but the player keeps spamming and staff do nothing...

There are millions of possible scenarios all a thousand times more complicated and frustrating than 3 or 4 people saying "caps" at the same time.

16. Edited 7 years ago by AP0C4L1P53

Just asking then, how would you stop spamming the chat with every1 typing "wb <player1>" "welcome back!", "wb" etc, etc, etc.

Well the issue here can be resolved professionally:

1. by reading the rules.
    2. understand the rules
    3. type staff? (to see if there is an actual staff member in the server)
    4. let staff handle the situation

4.1 Staff will generally handle the situation if there are not afk.
    4.2 (when there is staff but afk) you dont say anything. You take a screenshot and show it to staff once he/she's back. Just be sure its a screenie worth of taking, you are not taking a screenie with only AFK, or NO, or YES, or LOL, etc only in the chat once. I mean that can slide (but not using it deliberately all the time).
    4.3 (when there is no staff) same thing as 4.2 and you can use the forums starting a thread in the Report Players section. Please make sure to take also the date, time and IGN of the offender. Just exactly as you will do as reporting a player in the forums for any other suspicious hax.

Staff always reads the Forums and this is a very helpful tool to every1 and we thank Crafty for all his work and effort he's been giving to this server.

End of thread, because its solved 100%.

17. I agree with SharpSerac people spamming caps is very annoying. However It's going to happen. The only possible solution is if staff members are online let them deal with it. That's what they are here for. If they don't address the situation and it keeps happening. Then feel free to warn the player. But at least give the staff a chance to deal with it. 90% of the time a staff member will warn a person first. Then you will have a bunch of players giving warnings afterwards. This can be easily avoided if we followed the above solution. Even if every player did follow this solution, we would still have the same outcome. Eventually two or three people will feel like it's not getting addressed by staff and give a warning at the same time as everyone else. This is inevitable.

18. Deleted 7 years ago by r4iscool1
  19. Deleted 7 years ago by r4iscool1
  20. Deleted 7 years ago by r4iscool1
  21. Thread locked

Nysic

or Sign Up to reply!