Structures Protection

1. 7 years ago

Hi all,

I'm not even sure if this is possible, then again, I'm not a command block crafty wizard! :D
    I know that many players, myself included, have tried building public structures that inevitably get destroyed by griefers. Some of these builds are highly creative construtions that most of us would love to take a look at, or just to use during gameplay.

My suggestion is this: whenever a player builds a structure that can bu usefull for the community, he/she could use this forum or PM an admin or any other wayl you can think of, to request protection to the specific coordinates.

Of course it would have to be investigated and aproved by the staff.
    Then, in case you guys deem the build worthy, you could apply your crafty magic and some how protect that building/area from griefers and publicly release the coordinates.

People will still have a hard time getting there, but it would be cool to build something that the entire community could benefit. As I said, i don't even know if this is possible or if makes sense considering this is vanilla survival.

Anyway, this is my idea...
    What do you guys think?

(by the way, i'm not a native english speaker, so sorry in advance for any language mistakes)

2. Its been suggested before and even implemented to an extent but this testing shows it cant be done, it either still gets greifed or would be unusable in adventure mode

3. @PenguinMytyMJ Its been suggested before and even implemented to an extent but this testing shows it cant be done, it either still gets greifed or would be unusable in adventure mode

Thanks!
    thats a shame...

4. https://forum.craftymynes.com/325-1-9-base-protection
    Its come up before in a diffrent form. Personally i couldnt see this happen in this way as it could take away from the raiding and griefing part of the server. I could also see a new player getting confused when finding one of these, and complain that we lied about allowing griefing.
    A lot of our playerbase would probaly be against it too

5. This is just my opinion on this matter.

There is no point in protecting a public build.
    Take the public end grinder for example: It is used by multiple people but still gets griefed, so people started repairing it and killing those who went in to destroy it. Having no protection teaches you the lesson that you can't trust everyone, which I think is useful on this server as your teammates / allies at any point may turn on you and if you have let them see classified info (builds, coords, etc.) then you can guess what they will do with that.

6. As you guys pointed out, this as been discussed before (i'm new to the server and didn' read all the posts), so i won´t press the subject (much :D).

@_Confederacy_ (...) It is used by multiple people but still gets griefed, so people started repairing it and killing those who went in to destroy it.(...)

ok, but when a griefer destroys a spawner block, there is nothing to repair...

@Dannysharks (...) Personally i couldnt see this happen in this way as it could take away from the raiding and griefing part of the server. I could also see a new player getting confused when finding one of these, and complain that we lied about allowing griefing.
    A lot of our playerbase would probaly be against it too

Thanks for the link.
    As I see it, it wouldn't take nothing away from the server, only add.
    Only a very selected, worthy structures should be selected. Maybe only the owner would be able to aprove. I dunno.. but 98% of the structures would still be "griefable".
    maybe only apply protection on the spawner block so that the structure itself could be repaired...

New players... nothing that a few signs around the area would't explain, or a quick server message or something like that

Anyway, it's done, it was already thought about...
    Case closed.
    Thanks

7. End grinders don't use spawners, they use endermites to attract hordes of ender man to a pit, just so you know.

8. i know, but all the others... in that specific case, no need to apply the protection then! it can be fixed. I dunno man, it was just a suggestion.
    I understand raiding, it's the griefing part that upsets me!

9. Edited 7 years ago by TheForgotten20

endermites do that? wow i didnt know how it wrked actully!
    p.s. yes griefing is bad raiding is ok.......its sad to see months of work go to waste in a few minutes

10. really the only thing you can do to protect yur build is to make it too big to grief or so good that others feel crappy about griefing it

11. Don´t get me wrong, it's not my buildings i'm worried about.
    But I've came across a few that I would love to have seen in it's full glory, instead of a pile of blocks.
    In my mind griefers can't build, hence they grief!
    Even if they feel crappy about it! :D

I really like this server as it is, but there's always room for improvement, amirite?

12. yep and unfortunately those with grief protection have plugins and reset frequently

13. Edited 7 years ago by Blackfish_

@TheForgotten20 yep and unfortunately those with grief protection have plugins and reset frequently

It doesn't need plugins (i guess). Land protection can be run with command blocks.

14. no it cant lets tag crafty to see if it can be done @CraftyMyner

15. @TheForgotten20 no it cant lets tag crafty to see if it can be done @CraftyMyner

So you think grief protection at spawn using plugins huh?

16. With the new way I have done the command blocks on the 1.9 server, it is very easy for me to tag a player or a group of players to allow only them to mine in an area. This is not full protection, it's adventure mode, this means that players can still access chests, only your buildings are safe

Quote from Crafty

17. @Blackfish So you think grief protection at spawn using plugins huh?

I can set up an easy spawn protection system. (Crafty might do something different) This might have a few code mistakes as I haven't done commands in a long time.

This command should be active at all times:
    /gamemode @a[r=200,team=Spawnpoint] 2

So should this one:
    /execute @a[r=200,team!=Admin] ~ ~ ~ /scoreboard teams join Spawnpoint

Now everyone but admins wherever these are placed are put on team Spawnpoint, which is in adventure mode.

Change the color of the name (grey) with this:
    /scoreboard teams option Spawnpoint color gray

18. Edited 7 years ago by CraftyMyner

@_Confederacy_ I can set up an easy spawn protection system. (Crafty might do something different) This might have a few code mistakes as I haven't done commands in a long time.

This command should be active at all times:
    /gamemode @a[r=200,team=Spawnpoint] 2

So should this one:
    /execute @a[r=200,team!=Admin] ~ ~ ~ /scoreboard teams join Spawnpoint

Now everyone but admins wherever these are placed are put on team Spawnpoint, which is in adventure mode.

Change the color of the name (grey) with this:
    /scoreboard teams option Spawnpoint color gray

This way would not work at all with the system I have setup, however, I can place square, round or any shape imaginable, protection for all, all but staff or a few players or just one player, I can have protection in any dimension, I can protect an area from just griefing and/or pvp. The limitations are, players can still interact with blocks, access chests, push buttons and use glitches to send flying machines into the area. As far as protecting something like an end grinder, it would be easy. The issue is that players might complain that I'm picking and choosing who to protect. Someone makes a build and asks for it to be protected, but I say no to it, we get the argument that "why does johnny get his shit protected and not me".

So technical limitations are non-existent, the issue is how do we implement it so that it's fair for everyone.

19. Edited 7 years ago by ardoasms

@CraftyMyner This way would not work at all with the system I have setup, however, I can place square, round or any shape imaginable, protection for all, all but staff or a few players or just one player, I can have protection in any dimension, I can protect an area from just griefing and/or pvp. The limitations are, players can still interact with blocks, access chests, push buttons and use glitches to send flying machines into the area. As far as protecting something like an end grinder, it would be easy. The issue is that players might complain that I'm picking and choosing who to protect. Someone makes a build and asks for it to be protected, but I say no to it, we get the argument that "why does johnny get his shit protected and not me".

So technical limitations are non-existent, the issue is how do we implement it so that it's fair for everyone.

an easy way to do that would be to put staff to a vote and if they approve it then put it upto the community. that way you know that the majority of the community is also approving it

20. @ardoasms an easy way to do that would be to put staff to a vote and if they approve it then put it upto the community. that way you know that the majority of the community is also approving it

Indeed, or just let the entire community vote like they did for the pvp-cooldown. It would be an easy way to see if a structure is really wanted/needed by the community

21. Newer ›

or Sign Up to reply!