What is ip ban?

1. 7 years ago

I know what a ban is, but how does ip ban work?
    Does it ban the emails used to create the accounts?
    Does it ban the computer?
    Or does it ban related names?

2. if I'm correct, and tell me if I'm not, the IP that is banned is assigned to your modem by your ISP (internet service provider). It's like a signature for your connection. There is also an IP specifically for your computer, but I believe that is separate and mostly used in LAN connection. There is probably a lot more to it, I'm no expert but that's my very vague and possibly incorrect understanding.

3. Edited 7 years ago by BluePlauge

P.s. I would not recommend trying to get around an IP ban, I imagine it will end very badly for whomever tries.

4. So it bans your wifi router?

5. I just typed your convo title into google and got this
    What is an IP ban?
    IP address blocking prevents connection between a server or website and certain IP addresses or ranges of addresses. IP address blocking effectively bans undesired connections from hosts using affected addresses to a website, mail server, or other Internet server.

again though i would not try to dance around an IP ban. I feel we are both going to be watched for any funny business for even talking about it.
    My advice is follow all the rules, don't make huge waves, play nice and you should never experience an IP ban.

6. Edited 7 years ago by Captain_Mitchell

Why, are you afraid you're gonna be IP banned?

7. >:D

8. Ugh you nubs seem confused. An IP is an adress linked to your wifi router, and more specifically your computer. An IP ban will ban your account, and also ban the address that your router/computer has, so you cannot join with another account without a proxy. A proxy is a thing that will change your ip and make it appear to be another IP. Now is everyone good??? :D

(Sorry for helping if this thread was considered dead)

9. @Cutebot Ugh you nubs seem confused. An IP is an adress linked to your wifi router, and more specifically your computer. An IP ban will ban your account, and also ban the address that your router/computer has, so you cannot join with another account without a proxy. A proxy is a thing that will change your ip and make it appear to be another IP. Now is everyone good??? :D

(Sorry for helping if this thread was considered dead)

For the avoidance of misinformation in going to correct this.
    An IP is connected to your router or more specifically your modem. It is not connected to your computer, if you take a computer and move it to a different Internet connection it will bypass the ban.
    Nor does it auto ban an account if it's IP banned.

A proxy can conceal your IP but it isn't really suited for Minecraft either.

10. so I was kind of right the first time, not bad for a guess. Still wouldn't advise trying to get around one though. I can just imagine what Dawn might do to you if she found out. I've been advised that Dawn can be mean to cheaters. :P

11. If you google "ip address", google will show your public IP address. Every website you visit and Minecraft server you play on sees a connection from that IP address. Someone who is IP banned from Craftymynes can't connect to the server using that IP address regardless of what Minecraft account they use. This stops people from simple buying a new account and rejoining the server after they are banned. Now some people try to get around this using Proxies and VPNs. These services substitute their IP address in for your IP address. Proxies and VPNs will cause lag so it's better to just connect from your real IP address. Another risk is that these IP addresses may already be banned, so before you go playing around with free internet proxies, know that you can get yourself banned that way. Conversely if your real IP is banned and you are using a proxy to connect from the same account you just burned that IP address, and If you make a new account, connect on an un-banned IP address and for whatever reason your connection to the proxy fails and your computer falls back on your real IP you might have just burned both the clean IP address and the fresh Minecraft account. Moral of the story is just to follow the rules in the first place.

12. What i was trying to say by computer, was that a different computer on the same router is allowed in.

13. @Cutebot What i was trying to say by computer, was that a different computer on the same router is allowed in.

That's wrong though.
    A different computer on the same connection will still be banned.

14. @R4iscool1 That's wrong though.
    A different computer on the same connection will still be banned.

R4 is correct. Routers allow multiple computers to share a connection. Easy to test, just check your public IP from multiple devices and you can see for yourself :)

or Sign Up to reply!