Changing how we set home

1. 7 years ago

As the title says, I suggest changing the sethome from using the book to using a bed. This way, the home of each player will be physically visible even if they are offline. This has some advantages, particularly those unwanted TPA griefer/raider to your base will need to set a bed making it harder for them to lay their evil plans. This avoids some known scenario where people accidentally tpa to them an unwanted player and this player set home in their base.

2. Edited 7 years ago by r4iscool1

I really don't see any reason for this other than to complicate the system even further and take away from the portability of the TP system. We'd still need the book after all.
    I don't see the need for them to be able to see it with their eyes tbh and if an unwanted griefer tp's to your base then it would be much harder to find a specific and often unmarked 3x3 space than a bed to destroy or spawncamp.
    If Tp someone untrustworthy to your base, it's compromised, bed or no bed they have your coordinates and unless you have an army to defend it you are finished.

3. If they have my base coordinates because of unwanted TP, then at least I want them to work on getting to my base by walking or any sort of travel. The way I see it, there are some noobs in the game where they just request tpa to you hoping you make a mistake. (Good thing I havent fallen to that kind of shitty trap, but I know some who fell from it) With beds I can see where they set home and I could just break it and theyll work hard to get to my place.

4. Edited 7 years ago by r4iscool1

It's just such a small usecase for something that could potentially cause more stress and make it easier for greifers to spawntrap and raid.
    I think most players including myself prefer the portability of not having to carry a bed arround which also happens to take up floorspace and is subject to easy breakage.
    If there are noobs that accept TP's then you should really reconsider having them in your base, the problem with this solution is it doesn't actually fix or mitigate the problem described, only provides a false sense of security and greater inconvenience.
    In the end you are raided, whether or not it takes them 30 minutes to reach you or not.

It'd be good to hear more players opinion on this.

5. I used to use a bed as my set home. I'd tp home and it took me to where I'd get out of bed. I see the point for making it completely bed related, but figuring out how to keep the tp system without a particular sethome function might be hard, then again I know nothing of commands.

6. I agree with Drach, the book takes the challenge away from surviving your first night

7. @R4iscool1 how does it complicate it? to go home all you do it jump through a end portal and all you do to set home is 3 wool and 3 wood, thats not too hard is it? also, beds are within vanilla codes so no commands are needed, what o you mean it complicates it

8. Just realized that exploring the end complicates things a lot. To get home, you have to backtrack all the distance you just went to get back to a portal to go home, or die. Without a tp system to take you home, that would be a massive pain

9. Edited 7 years ago by r4iscool1

@TheForgotten20 @R4iscool1 how does it complicate it? to go home all you do it jump through a end portal and all you do to set home is 3 wool and 3 wood, thats not too hard is it? also, beds are within vanilla codes so no commands are needed, what o you mean it complicates it

It just one more thing a player has to carry arround which makes it inconvenient for them.
    So I can't see why we would make the game any more inconvenient for the players for something that has limited to no use case.
    We have a hard enough time explaining just the book to new players.

Perhaps if you could elaborate on a specific situation where this was required?

10. I have explained before but I will again, set home and tpa is what made this server successful, without it players would just leave. The entire reason I created this server was to create a set home system in vanilla minecraft

11. And you did a terrific job.

12. Edited 7 years ago by CraftyMyner

When players join, they expect /sethome or something equivalent, changing that will confuse players

13. I know it'll confuse me. Hey, it's your server. You run it how you like :)

or Sign Up to reply!