Controversial Terms

1. 6 years ago
    Edited 6 years ago by Venetorem

Controversial words and what makes them controversial.
    This message is targeted more or less to the admins/mods of the server. What makes a word controversial and what words are they? I seem to have a misunderstanding of what words can be considered controversial. Apparently I just learned that the *** word is controversial. Now I didn't expect it to be a controversial term of course because we don't live in the dark ages anymore. That word doesn't carry insult but more celebration and happiness. Since when has a person been called that out of insult and anger? It's not 2005 anymore, and no one is insulted by this. Of course if you are insulted by this I apologize but I don't think this word is controversial. Please have a conversation with me to discuss what makes this word and other words controversial.

2. Here's generally what to avoid:

Racial slurs, Sexual orientation slurs, Gender slurs, Political topics, etc. And anything the pertains to Race, Sexual orientation, Gender and Politics etc. (That includes anyone who's been in politics, and/or is politically controversial). Any news stories that could start an argument.

Anything that's over the line you will get warned for. And yes, a kick is a warning.

3. Edited 6 years ago by tobor79

That doesn't entail me anything that I asked...
    edit: well atleast the most important part.

4. Edited 6 years ago by r4iscool1

Hi, we forbid discussion of a number of topics that can cause controversy and arguing since it's an in game chat not a debate forum.
    As such topics such as Human sexuality, politics/world affairs, religion and crime/drugs are forbidden, although this list is not exhaustive and staff may add to this on the spot if they feel its necessary to maintain chat order and harmony.
    Therefore words such as gay which relate to them are generally forbidden.

We aren't here to discuss whether or not a word is controversial as staff we have decided from experience words such as that tend to cause arguments due to differing views and have therefore banned them. While I understand in your personal view it may not be controversial it is to others which causes arguments and we therefore do not tolerate it.

5. Edited 6 years ago by Valgys

By controversial it means using a word that IRL elicits a response or reaction, intentional or not, that takes the conversation into "real life problems" Where people feel strongly one way or another about the word.

Gay - when used to describe something or something done (usually inferior or undesirable things) has been just one example, where people who personally associate with the word, are left feeling inadequate or less than average. Who wants to play on a server where players casually use words they don't like for stuff like that?

It's all about context. If I suddenly started saying "tobor79'd" to describe a huge mistake or something dumb (which I never would), staff would shut that down the moment you tell them the context. There's very little tolerance for bullies and IRL controversy.

It's understandable that sometimes people who don't relate to the history of controversial words use them without understanding how that makes others feel. "N"-words, "G"-words, ect have been used in the past to keep certain groups of people feeling inferior. You may not understand why it hurts people, but believe the staff when they tell you it offends someone - they work to keep an overall positive environment for everyone. You can play the game without having to use controversial words.

This is a game, and the mods/admins work to keep conversations as civil as possible to keep it an environment welcome to as many players as possible.

6. If by "***" you mean "gay" then you are wrong to say it isn't a controversy and that nobody is insulted for being homosexual.

Homosexuality is still considered wrong by many people and is a target for persecution in some areas of the world.

Because of this, and the arguments talking about it will make in public chat, there is a ban on talking about it.

If the topic you choose to talk about is considered controversial, then it has sparked worldwide argument/debate and has the potential to start firestorms in chat.

Firestorms are annoying, so the staff here do not allow talking about something that could very easily start one.

7. @_Confederacy_ If by "***" you mean "gay" then you are wrong to say it isn't a controversy and that nobody is insulted for being homosexual.

Homosexuality is still considered wrong by many people and is a target for persecution in some areas of the world.

Because of this, and the arguments talking about it will make in public chat, there is a ban on talking about it.

If the topic you choose to talk about is considered controversial, then it has sparked worldwide argument/debate and has the potential to start firestorms in chat.

Firestorms are annoying, so the staff here do not allow talking about something that could very easily start one.

essentially nothing that may affect an individual or a group of people and nothing that will start and argument e.g. this party is better than this party

or Sign Up to reply!