1. 6 years ago

I am curious as to the full effect of what we are seeing in the forums. I am interested in creating a survey and asking individuals about CM. Completely discreet and no one would know of your participation. If interested let me know and I will post it.

2. Go ahead, but just as a warning, results will likely be tampered with by taking the survey multiple times. I don't believe that's avoidable.

3. True. I think I can stop the same URL from taking the same Survey.

4. link text
    Here is the Test Survey, It if works we will actually conduct a full survey.

5. Player made surveys are likely to be tampered with and even blocking ips from entering again won't help.

You must remember that there is only about 2.2k players who have even signed up for the forum compared to the 300k players that have played on the server. While the forum does represent a large amount of the recurring players, it doesn't represent a majority or even a fraction of half the player base. Many players don't come to the forum to enter their opinion.

6. Very true ^

I don't see any way a survey could work. I wish it could, but I don't think it's possible.

7. I will present my findings and make it clear of the potential short comings of my survey and the potential survey. Like any survey it will present a rough estimate.

8. minesy

15 Aug 2017 Suspended

I took it post it on here idc

9. Why don't crafty make a survey on here with results all can view. The checking to make sure they don't do it twice is you have to be logged into an account

10. @Jams__ People with alts get to do it more times, then.

11. @NerdieBirdieYT @Jams__ People with alts get to do it more times, then.

It would still be superior to this however I do think anyone is going to invest their time In doing something that statically will be fundamentally flawed and therefore the results useless.

I mean sure it someone was really dedicated they could make a survey, have the questions reviewed for bias.
    Broadcast them picking a random sample of users on the server from a random generator then asking them.
    To which you would get an accurate one but I doubt anyone will do that and it's results wouldn't be that useful unless very in depth.

12. My Survey is not necessarily as flawed as you suggest. I was able to ban IP and extra devices. Allowing for one and only one take of the survey. This is however just a test run. Did any of you study stats in college?

13. Also I would never attempt to tamper with the survey. Unlike other people on the server ( Some Staff or Players) Like I said I am objective and shall present the actual survey when it is finished and meets my inquires parameters in the appropriate manner.

14. @Ealdwine_Drasax I like what you are doing and don't mean this to offend you but if you study statistcs you learn about bias surveys can be a result of a uncontrolled sampling method. In this case your survey would be biased because it is voluenteer based.

15. Edited 6 years ago by Ealdwine_Drasax

Yes, I know @Grassling however sadly when it comes to this situation I am creating a new system to get the appropriate response for this survey so both sides are equally represented. If myself or CM attempt to take a survey it will always have bias. We can not effectively remove the bias. That is why you use your parameters and discuss the limitations of the study. I am just trying to get an idea of what kind of beast we are facing here. In order to slay the beast you must first know it's nature.

16. @Ealdwine_Drasax My Survey is not necessarily as flawed as you suggest. I was able to ban IP and extra devices. Allowing for one and only one take of the survey. This is however just a test run. Did any of you study stats in college?

IP addresses can be easily faked unfortunately, I have two IP address at home myself alongside many on my mobile data and the Vpn. It's sadly an issue, we've encountered here before, we were considering making a system linked to the forums but even they would be vulnerable to similar manipulation. Even multiple devices doesn't do anything since that based on recognising the browser which means people can change or clear the browser and vote under a new IP infinitely.

It's also been noted before that the people on the forums don't really represent those on the server.
    I think you should really consider these factors.

17. I am, hence why the test run is here my friend.

18. Per mc account? Although, I don't know how you'd be able to do something like that.

19. What about a manual, in game survey? It will be hard but we can help you if needed. We can ask the questions in the test run survey to players in game and collect all answers with a list of players that answered the questions. Alts and manipulation won't be a problem. Might take a week or even a month but it's worthy trying imo.

20. Manual in game could still be swade by alts, if you ask them with msg, I doubt you will get true answers.

21. Newer ›

or Sign Up to reply!