1. 8 years ago

is there a way to melt down gold and iron armor? could we sell used armor to a villager ?

2. This has been discussed before here https://forum.craftymynes.com/372-1-9-bugs-and-missing-features
    It's not really viable nor something that should be added.

3. @Janisdg is there a way to melt down gold and iron armor?

Not without a mod, which is against the rules.

4. Well then let's get a mod online to assist us.

5. @Captain_Mitchell Well then let's get a mod online to assist us.

If that were to happen, the server wouldn't be vanilla anymore. Which is a problem for a server that claims 100% Vanilla.

6. @R4iscool1 This has been discussed before here https://forum.craftymynes.com/372-1-9-bugs-and-missing-features
    It's not really viable nor something that should be added.

You were the only person who said that it wouldn't work

7. @BaronBattleBread villagers don't have a durability trade notion except when giving you something with less durability. you can trade anything to them no matter the durability as long as they accept it as an item.

Do you have magical way to rig it up Flashflood ?
    Thought not.

8. @R4iscool1 Do you have magical way to rig it up Flashflood ?
    Thought not.

I did post an example trade and value system in the other thread you quoted that from. Do I personally know how to make it? No, I would have to look into it, see if villagers can indeed offer the item, and so on. All I know is it is possible. I also asked you to come to the trading post so I could personally show you that villagers require full durability items for the existing trades now and that I believe it would roll over to the proposed salvaging mechanic if a villager was made for it. You left shortly after I asked you to come to the trading post. I don't "have magical way to rig it up," but I know of places where I could do the research to create a custom villager trade if you would like an example and would mind not being ugly about it.

9. Edited 8 years ago by BaronBattleBread

yess it is possible, we have the technology, but no it wont be implemented. There are plenty of resources out there still and no need to recycle armor back into raw material.

you build it, you use it. :P unless its buttons. poor people that make 50 buttons XD

10. Edited 8 years ago by pand1024

@BaronBattleBread yess it is possible, we have the technology, but no it wont be implemented. There are plenty of resources out there still and no need to recycle armor back into raw material.

Rip Armor Salvaging/Scrapping/Smelting. I'm saddened to see that Baron and I are not on the same page about this.

11. Edited 8 years ago by r4iscool1

@FlashFood I did post an example trade and value system in the other thread you quoted that from. Do I personally know how to make it? No, I would have to look into it, see if villagers can indeed offer the item, and so on. All I know is it is possible. I also asked you to come to the trading post so I could personally show you that villagers require full durability items for the existing trades now and that I believe it would roll over to the proposed salvaging mechanic if a villager was made for it. You left shortly after I asked you to come to the trading post. I don't "have magical way to rig it up," but I know of places where I could do the research to create a custom villager trade if you would like an example and would mind not being ugly about it.

So you don't know a method for overcoming the issue ?
    And you don't have any reason to implement it either ?
    In which case my and baron's point stands.

12. @pand1024 Rip Armor Salvaging/Scrapping/Smelting. I'm saddened to see that Baron and I are not on the same page about this.

There is no need to make the game easier.
    The map is essentially infinite.

13. @R4iscool1 There is no need to make the game easier.

Easy vs Hard is one metric that we could use when evaluating the value of villager trades. It's far from the only factor. Clearly any villager trade we introduce is going to make the game easier. For instance, I think the 3 emerald for 1 diamond exchange is making the game easier than it needs to be, and all the same arguments like the map being effectively infinite apply.

Another way we could look at villager trades is in terms of what kind of emergent game play they promote. For instance, a player might start by mining for diamonds, but later find that they can get more diamonds if they create a carrot/potato farm, and trade in vip for diamonds. Not satisfied with this they might make one of many automated farms or breed their own villagers to get better trades. Thus creating a 3 emerald for 1 diamond trade didn't just make the game easier it encouraged players to play with more complex and challenging aspects of the Minecraft World.

Applying this to the discussion at hand, the system could be set up so that players with the perfect villager could turn emeralds into diamonds via diamond chest plates at a slightly better rate than with the direct trade, or players could setup mob grinders to auto kill armor-less mobs but leave the leather clad ones to be killed using a looting sword.

A third way to look at villager trades is in how they make items that are otherwise trash useful. Anyone with a zombie/skeleton grinder gets lots of armor that is effectively useless. Many of us then horde that armor because we can't bear to throw it away. Being able to trade it for even a minuscule amount of something useful would be so satisfying even if it's not rational.

14. @pand1024 Easy vs Hard is one metric that we could use when evaluating the value of villager trades. It's far from the only factor. Clearly any villager trade we introduce is going to make the game easier. For instance, I think the 3 emerald for 1 diamond exchange is making the game easier than it needs to be, and all the same arguments like the map being effectively infinite apply.

Another way we could look at villager trades is in terms of what kind of emergent game play they promote. For instance, a player might start by mining for diamonds, but later find that they can get more diamonds if they create a carrot/potato farm, and trade in vip for diamonds. Not satisfied with this they might make one of many automated farms or breed their own villagers to get better trades. Thus creating a 3 emerald for 1 diamond trade didn't just make the game easier it encouraged players to play with more complex and challenging aspects of the Minecraft World.

Applying this to the discussion at hand, the system could be set up so that players with the perfect villager could turn emeralds into diamonds via diamond chest plates at a slightly better rate than with the direct trade, or players could setup mob grinders to auto kill armor-less mobs but leave the leather clad ones to be killed using a looting sword.

A third way to look at villager trades is in how they make items that are otherwise trash useful. Anyone with a zombie/skeleton grinder gets lots of armor that is effectively useless. Many of us then horde that armor because we can't bear to throw it away. Being able to trade it for even a minuscule amount of something useful would be so satisfying even if it's not rational.

Amazingly put. This is at the heart of why I would love to see this put in, it gives people options with their gameplay and doesn't restrict them to just one way of gathering resources. All new features of the game aren't necessarily something that might make the game "better" for everyone, but variety is bliss. Something like ocean monuments, beetroot, nether fortress and end city loot, make a different way for someone to go about gathering resources in the world. People enjoy different methods of play, and the more ways there are for people to do that, the more attractive the server is to new players. That's why I suggested it, I've thought its just another form of ulterior crafting Minecraft has been missing for years.

@R4iscool1 So you don't know a method for overcoming the issue ?
    And you don't have any reason to implement it either ?
    In which case my and baron's point stands.

I don't understand what method you are referring to, are you asking me to make the command myself? Pand's reasoning for implementing it was pretty solid in my opinion. You haven't really made a point yourself other than you think it would be too "easy" for your personal playing style and that you don't want it in the game because of that.

15. Perhaps a player could provide the service?

16. Edited 8 years ago by BoneChi11er

I can definitely see the pros and cons of this idea being implemented into the game, but the pros out-weigh the cons. R4iscool1 argue that implementing this feature would start making the game "too easy". In that case, we should get rid of the 3 emmy to 1 diam deal in the trading post, as any VIP could easily profit from this with a farm of potatoes and carrots, as pand1024 mentioned above. We don't even need a full refund on the armor that gets put in, maybe a quarter of a refund?

This idea is a good one, with the potential to get players more involved in the game, be even more creative with grinders, and possibly create a new form of commerce amongst players. And honestly, besides stating that it would make the game too easy or it might be too complex, R4iscool1 and BaronBattleBread haven't really made a good standing point against it. I support this idea.

17. It's a terrible idea. The amount of gold and iron armor I get from my zombie grinder is insane. I get about a double chest full of it before I can hit lvl 30. If you could smelt down or sell broken trash armour, it would ruin the dynamics of the game. Which is why it's not a part of the game thank god

18. Wow this is long. Even with the points you guys make and there respective pros and cons, you're still missing a fact. We are a vanilla server, 100%. That means no plug ins or mods but it also means that we're not really going to create a new feature that's not available in vanilla minecraft. Some of the villenger trades are too much in my opinion (no offence baron XD) but that's all they are. Most of the trades are based off normal villenger ones and even the ones that are not don't give anything too powerful or game breaking. The problem with this smelting.idea, is that it physically doesn't exist anywhere within vanilla minecraft. There's no vanilla trades remotely close to it. And it's exactly as endelikt said, they're would be infinite resources for those who have a grinder. In my eyes it is a terrible idea and wouldn't be good to implement

19. Edited 8 years ago by r4iscool1

@pand1024 Easy vs Hard is one metric that we could use when evaluating the value of villager trades. It's far from the only factor. Clearly any villager trade we introduce is going to make the game easier. For instance, I think the 3 emerald for 1 diamond exchange is making the game easier than it needs to be, and all the same arguments like the map being effectively infinite apply.

Yes but the 3to1 trade has basis in the real game.
    Its not an entirely new feature.

Yes that is why we have the Farmer and 3to1 trades in spawn. It encourages play outside the normal realm.
    Your reasons below do not.

Neither of your reasons hold up.
    Crafting a chest plate for a better diamond to emerald ratio isnt adding to the game experience only making it easier. It doesn't encourage new play just gives you extra benefits from the same materials.
    Same applies to grinding, people dont need extra encouragement to grind, its already a rewarding mechanic, no real reason to make it more profitable.

Trash doesnt need to be made useful.

@FlashFood Amazingly put. This is at the heart of why I would love to see this put in, it gives people options with their gameplay and doesn't restrict them to just one way of gathering resources. All new features of the game aren't necessarily something that might make the game "better" for everyone, but variety is bliss. Something like ocean monuments, beetroot, nether fortress and end city loot, make a different way for someone to go about gathering resources in the world. People enjoy different methods of play, and the more ways there are for people to do that, the more attractive the server is to new players. That's why I suggested it, I've thought its just another form of ulterior crafting Minecraft has been missing for years.

I don't understand what method you are referring to, are you asking me to make the command myself? Pand's reasoning for implementing it was pretty solid in my opinion. You haven't really made a point yourself other than you think it would be too "easy" for your personal playing style and that you don't want it in the game because of that.

Grinding isnt a different method of play.
    In fact its hardly play at all, just automatic play.
    By introducing this, you do the opposite of what you espouse and reduce variety by enabling someone to grind all their resources instead of playing the game in a variable way.

Yes im asking you to supply the command and then we can explain why its unsuitable.
    Pandas reasons dont hold up to the light.
    If you read my previous posts in the other thread, i oppose this because it makes the game easier with no benefit to playing and its stretching vanilla.

@BoneChi11er I can definitely see the pros and cons of this idea being implemented into the game, but the pros out-weigh the cons. R4iscool1 argue that implementing this feature would start making the game "too easy". In that case, we should get rid of the 3 emmy to 1 diam deal in the trading post, as any VIP could easily profit from this with a farm of potatoes and carrots, as pand1024 mentioned above. We don't even need a full refund on the armor that gets put in, maybe a quarter of a refund?

This idea is a good one, with the potential to get players more involved in the game, be even more creative with grinders, and possibly create a new form of commerce amongst players. And honestly, besides stating that it would make the game too easy or it might be too complex, R4iscool1 and BaronBattleBread haven't really made a good standing point against it. I support this idea.

Read my post above.

As panda noted the farmer and 3to1 trades encourage new play, grinding does not.

We aren't here to make it easier for Grinders.
    They are already rewarded with items and Xp, adding other items too this does not encourage better play in fact it does the opposite discouraging other play and will flood the market with cheap diamonds and iron.

20. Deleted 7 years ago by r4iscool1

or Sign Up to reply!