1. 7 years ago

Ever consider expanding the world border, is there any reason to have a world border other than to limit the amount of memory the server takes up?

2. Why expand ? Worlds already big enough :P

3. I guess vanilla Minecraft would probably have a hard time running a 30M block world. Although I have seen some servers with the 30M border, they are not vanilla.

4. It generaly has to do with lag, the server tends to hold alot of ppl on a daily baises. And if the server has to generate more land, on top of what it already does, it would go kaput.

5. Read this thread, https://forum.craftymynes.com/2349-increasing-world-border

The vast majority of land probably over 95% given the reset has not been loaded once.
    The current map is big enough by far and changing that would only increase the space take up, making it harder to backup and slower to load.

6. I was on this server when it had 30m border and I can tell you it was the laggiest motherfucker of a server alive and even with the best options when it comes to gear for the server. Crafty bought the best of the best stuff and it decreased lag. Let's not mention how many people were online each day.

If it was for the increasing, I'd suggest to increase it 200k on each direction. I think server could go with almost same lag as it is now. If not, let it be as it is. :)

7. Edited 7 years ago by Valgys

@iDogeTwinkie I was on this server when it had 30m border and I can tell you it was the laggiest motherfucker of a server alive and even with the best options when it comes to gear for the server. Crafty bought the best of the best stuff and it decreased lag. Let's not mention how many people were online each day.

If it was for the increasing, I'd suggest to increase it 200k on each direction. I think server could go with almost same lag as it is now. If not, let it be as it is. :)

Lol yeah I remember it. The perma-block lag during peak times isn't something I miss. Plus, of the folks I asked, most if not all, never bothered to venture out farther than 100k except me and a couple others. So that tells me we can comfortably live in the space currently allocated, even building above ground without detection.

Don't get me wrong I want a server border so large I can't reach it, but the reality is it's a reduction of gaming quality so bad it's not worth it. If the borders can get bumped up with little to no impact to lag, I'm all for it. Until that time I think this space right now works.

8. @iDogeTwinkie I was on this server when it had 30m border and I can tell you it was the laggiest motherfucker of a server alive and even with the best options when it comes to gear for the server. Crafty bought the best of the best stuff and it decreased lag. Let's not mention how many people were online each day.

This server never had a 30 million border, it has been 100k since day one. It was because we were on a shared host with 512mb of ram.

9. A fully generated 100k world is about 1tb per dimension. Our current world takes up 32gb, thats 3.2% of the total world that has been generated so far (keep in mind that up to 10k is fully generated already, accounting for 8.6gb of that 32gb)

10. @CraftyMyner This server never had a 30 million border, it has been 100k since day one. It was because we were on a shared host with 512mb of ram.

I'm not sure if we're talking about the same thing. When we say server, I think we're referring to the IP rather than the actual hardware.

I recall the border of CM was immense awhile back (talking 18+ months back). I know my base was at something like 400k from Spawn. Back then when I asked the size of the border the response was that it was "virtually infinite" from the staff. There was even a player reported living over 1 million blocks away. Before TPs, TPAs, warps, and the common use of the nether roof for travel and most of the other luxuries players have now.

And to my original point, there weren't rampant raids or base discoveries back then even when players self-imposed their own travel borders to around 100k from Spawn.

11. @Valgys I'm not sure if we're talking about the same thing. When we say server, I think we're referring to the IP rather than the actual hardware.

I recall the border of CM was immense awhile back (talking 18+ months back). I know my base was at something like 400k from Spawn. Back then when I asked the size of the border the response was that it was "virtually infinite" from the staff. There was even a player reported living over 1 million blocks away. Before TPs, TPAs, warps, and the common use of the nether roof for travel and most of the other luxuries players have now.

And to my original point, there weren't rampant raids or base discoveries back then even when players self-imposed their own travel borders to around 100k from Spawn.

Ahh yeah, it was 1million come to think of it, I remember that I had to relocate some people when I downsized the border.

12. Edited 7 years ago by _Haxington_

On this one server I used the nether portal bug to get to 30 million blocks out! No one on the entire server is as far out as me, and no one ever will be because they patched the bug in 1.11 :P

13. Edited 7 years ago by 2Chill

@_Haxington_ On this one server I used the ender portal bug to get to 30 million blocks out! No one on the entire server is as far out as me, and no one ever will be because they patched the bug in 1.11 :P

If you are referring to the portal glitch with the e pearl , it still works not patched o.o
    Unless you mean they patched it on that server.

14. Edited 7 years ago by _Haxington_

Pretty sure they patched it... I tried it and it did not work anymore.

I used a different version of the glitch. Basically instead of using ender pearls I made a nether portal just above 128 height (cloud level) and went inside it and just before I got the loading screen I force quit my game. When I logged back in I was now at the same coordinates that I was in the overworld but in the nether. (Since I was at over 128 I am on the nether roof) I then proceed to repeat the glitch about 5 to 6 times until I reach the world border. No ender pearls needed! And it also works vice versa so you can travel back

or Sign Up to reply!