1. 6 years ago

Hey guys. I was wondering something.

Whenever you get into an argument, or start one. Do you seek out to be right, to win the argument?,
    or to find the truth, solve the problem and go about it in the most reasonableness way, even if you don't win?

The first one might feel good in the short term, it might give you that desire to be the best, to have the feeling of dominance. But it doesn't solve the problem, nor the argument. It'll just give you pain later down the road.

The other one doesn't feel so good, it might give you that feeling of failure, the failure of not being the best. But the problem has been solved, or been planed to be solved. It helps you in the long run and solves the argument.

2. It's not a matter of being right vs. solving the problem. Usually things are a tiny bit more complicated than that. Thing is you do have the choice in any argument to ask yourself whether it matters to you that you are right more than it matters to you that you are happy. If you decide that you don't want to waste a long time of your day having that argument and then feeling like shit for the rest of the day regardless of if were right or wrong, then you can just decide to leave. Of course, that does not in any way mean that you have the right to be an ass and just ignore them when they want to talk to you. Although I really enjoy a nice, quiet and peaceful time, I also do enjoy debating, and sometimes even start finding myself bitching about random shit, (I want to apologize to @CodyJProductions and everyone else I spent some time with on this server that had to go through my bullshit).

With that said, I think you should always remember if an argument is meaningful in any way to you (most of the times it's not) and act accordingly.

3. An argument by definition is not productive. There’s usually at least one underlying issue that sparks and sustains an argument: feeling entitled to something that wasn’t given or given properly. This can respect, money, love, the right of way, etc

What you are asking is a person’s priority in an argument. The answer is it depends. The same argument you have with a peer may be different from one with a spouse and again different from a random stranger off the street. That’s entirely dependent on your investment in said person. In general you’re more likely to admit fault even when it’s not yours and problem solve with someone you’re invested in, and try to prove you’re right with a peer, and with a stranger try and prove they are wrong.

Problem solving would be ideal but arguments are typically driven by emotion, which inhibits rationale thought. You’re swimming against the current when you try to problem solve in the middle of an argument.

That’s why it’s far better to avoid the argument and talk when things have calmed down and maybe even express your concerns/feelings before asking to table a topic leading into an argument.

The short answer to your question is I prefer to avoid and/or problem solve.

4. i'm always right so my goal is to let the other person know they're wrong

5. @SharpSerac @R4iscool1

6. Deleted 6 years ago by Fingerbib
  7. Deleted 6 years ago by 2Chill

or Sign Up to reply!