Mining Techniques

1. 7 years ago

When the reset happens, I'm gonna focus more on my singleplayer and I was wondering if you guys could give a few tips on diamond mining? I've seen people make strip mines that go on for a long time at y=11 but I was wondering if there were any better techniques?

2. Here's the method I've been using for a while, if you need a picture just say so:

Start on y=11, make a one block wide tunnel. Mine forward until there is no light from the start / last torch you placed, place a new one. Go back to where you started / placed the last torch. From there dig a 5 block hole into the side of the tunnel, each one you dig make sure it has a 2 block gap in between it and the last hole. Do this on both sides. Dig only into the upper part of the side, not the bottom unless there is ore inside and you need to get to it. With a fortune III pickaxe I got over a stack within an hour of mining just by doing one long tunnel. This lets you make an 11-block long tunnel (as all the ore that would be exposed by mining all the stone there will still be seen) and minimalize the use af your pickaxe. Connect these tunnels into a grid and get loads of ore. Also bring flint and steel with you to dispose of the excess stone as that will fill your inventory rather quickly.

3. could I have a picture, plz?

4. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=lXVo_Q6ZozE
    This video explains the basics pretty well. Skip to around 2 minutes if you're only interested in the poke holes bit

5. thx!

6. Best method of mining of craftymynes is going random teleport and dig a 1x2 tunnel at y= 11until your inv is full. Go into your options.txt file im your mc folder and turn your gamma past 1000 so that you dont have to place torches cause that wastes time

7. Same as darktyui. I just dig straight at y=11. If you have optifine, just enable dynamic lighting in your settings and put a torch in your off-hand. Throw unwanted cobble or stone.

8. I do it at depth 12

9. @darktyui Go into your options.txt file im your mc folder and turn your gamma past 1000 so that you dont have to place torches cause that wastes time

Isn't that kind of cheating? you are setting an option to a level it is not supposed to be

10. No that's perfectly fine, as is the offhand torch lighting with optifine. Honestly I can't mine anymore without the offhand torch lighting, I've become so reliant on it the last few months

11. @darktyui Best method of mining of craftymynes is going random teleport and dig a 1x2 tunnel at y= 11until your inv is full. Go into your options.txt file im your mc folder and turn your gamma past 1000 so that you dont have to place torches cause that wastes time

how exactly is that done? (making the gamma very high)

12. What do I do is just dig out the entire area.

13. @Captain_Mitchell What do I do is just dig out the entire area.

Haste 2 beacon for the win XD I've been doing that the past month

14. I don't use Beacons lol

15. Edited 7 years ago by Yelloms

@cepheid

Xisumavoid, is my go-to on all things minecraft. He thinks logically and loves putting way to much time into figuring out the mechanics of this game. He's also weird, and I consider that a fantastic quality.

16. I just go and do the tunnel thing. I only hate it when I stuble upon a damned cave.
    I even end up at the cave where I started the mining lol.

17. I mine at y10 along chunk borders

18. hes returned!

19. Also check around lava. And behind Redstone.

20. @Captain_Mitchell Also check around lava. And behind Redstone.

Actually, lava and red stone have nothing to do with where diamonds spawn, although it is a common myth. Just because lava red stone and diamonds all spawn at low Y levels doesn't mean diamond ore generates closer to red stone ore or lava pockets

21. Newer ›

or Sign Up to reply!