Post a Reply

Allowing cheaters to play on alts?

1. 7 years ago

It's not different. Trust me on that one. It's same because they are basically ban evading and you guys are allowing that to happen.

I was an admin and server mod on a server but it was a different game. Funnily enough - these morons on the game where I was an admin and server mod they literally had temporary and for hackers. From 3 to 6 month bans.

You guys are basically letting them to ban evade. They can repeat the same thing all over again. Cleaning out their bases won't stop them to continue hacking on different accounts. You're aware that morons like that are stupid enough to waste time and hack people's MC accounts.

Even an IP ban won't stop them unless they have a static IP, you know, it doesn't change every 24 hours or when you restart the router your IP changes.

We both have different experiences in this kind of thing hence different opinions. All I'm saying is that Crafty and others should take this into consideration and discuss about it.

2. @Blackened_Dawn Oh, what's that? You're telling be to ip ban them even though you already stated ips change all the time?

Jee, seems like it's come full circle!

Blackened Dawg pls dynamic IP's change every 24 hours not static lol :P It all depends on their shitty internet provider. :)

3. I'll go right back to the start then.

Scenario 1

Player A hacks and gets caught.
    Player A posts a ban appeal on forum.
    Admins tell Player A that s/he is free to come back with an alt.
    Player A buys an alt account on ebay for around $5 dollars.
    Player A keeps playing with his/her alt like a normal player for few hours.
    Player A decides to hack again.
    A is more cautious this time. S/he does his/her best to not get caught again.
    A successfully gains a huge advantage over other players.
    After some while, A gets caught while hacking again.
    A gets IP banned.
    A changes his/her IP address and buys a new alt.
    A is angry because s/he got banned twice. S/he does his/her best to spam the shit out of the server.
    As always, A gets banned again. Again, and again.

Scenario 2

Player B hacks and gets caught.
    Player B gets IP banned.
    Player B posts a ban appeal on forum.
    Player B is told that hackers are not tolerated, his/her appeal is denied (for real).
    Player B decides to hack in another server instead.

Which one sounds more reasonable?
    Staff, why the extra work?

I did my best to explain the real problem. If this gets avoided too, well, there is nothing I can do about it.

4. @Cileklim I'll go right back to the start then.

Scenario 1

Player A hacks and gets caught.
    Player A posts a ban appeal on forum.
    Admins tell Player A that s/he is free to come back with an alt.
    Player A buys an alt account on ebay for around $5 dollars.
    Player A keeps playing with his/her alt like a normal player for few hours.
    Player A decides to hack again.
    A is more cautious this time. S/he does his/her best to not get caught again.
    A successfully gains a huge advantage over other players.
    After some while, A gets caught while hacking again.
    A gets IP banned.
    A changes his/her IP address and buys a new alt.
    A is angry because s/he got banned twice. S/he does his/her best to spam the shit out of the server.
    As always, A gets banned again. Again, and again.

Scenario 2

Player B hacks and gets caught.
    Player B gets IP banned.
    Player B posts a ban appeal on forum.
    Player B is told that hackers are not tolerated, his/her appeal is denied (for real).
    Player B decides to hack in another server instead.

Which one sounds more reasonable?
    Staff, why the extra work?

I did my best to explain the real problem. If this gets avoided too, well, there is nothing I can do about it.

Your example shows exactly why an ip ban won't outright work 100% of the time, exactly as the current system isn't 100% flawless.

"A gets IP banned.
    A changes his/her IP address and buys a new alt. "

MANY people do that anyways, regardless if they had a second chance or not. the GTA guy for example. he's been ip banned COUNTLESS times and he came back again and again. An outright IP ban won't help anything more than what we're already doing. only so much you can do, and it's being done already.

5. Doesn't this seem like maybe we're trying to find issues where there isn't one? Hackers come, they get banned they go. If they come back (alt or otherwise) if they cheat again they get banned again. I have always been impressed with how quickly staff responds to hackers, trolls and nuisance players. I think we can all agree, if someone REALLY wants to come back, they will; but, as long as the staff continues with the same diligence (voluntarily I might add) I don't see this as the problem this thread seems to be making it.

I want to make clear, I praise the staff on this server solely because there dedication truly impresses me, I have come and gone from this server many times, but the core staff have always been dedicated enough to provide a service 24 hours a day, for almost 3 years now, and the only time that service has been interrupted is when someone manically malicious, decided they needed to bring it down, and the only thing they ended up accomplishing was making the server community tighter.

6. Edited 7 years ago by r4iscool1

@Cileklim Well said!

That doesn't really seem like an improvement to me.
    At craftymynes we want to encourage people to reform when possible and become active members of our community. There is no mixed message there, we would be happy to have any good players back if they made a single slip up.
    The kind of people with malicious intent towards our server already know they can rejoin on an alt for the most part. What we are doing by this message is giving people who seem to be legitimately apologising a second chance of sorts. Sometimes this doesn't work and we curse the rule but the success stories are far to prominent to deny and the benefit the community gains is far greater than the extra time we invest on the occasion they hack.

The majority of people you are blocking with something like this are legit players.
    Staff have seen from our position that the benefits of doing this far outweigh the risks.