cepheid’s thoughts #1: state of the server and possible reset

1. ‹ Older
  2. 7 years ago

Don't misunderstand me, I would lose a significant amount of wealth too with a server reset. I've put in countless hours working on my massive underground base, and even more hours mining and obtaining wealth. Even just iron, I've mined over 65,700 ore on this server (just over 114 stacks of iron blocks). I don't currently have that much, but I still have well over a dub of iron blocks. I'm not "bored with my current base" and asking for a reset so that it would benefit me, I'm arguing that it's necessary for the server economy to be able to progress in any workable form looking far ahead. I honestly believe that, if done right, this reset would future-proof the server and prevent a reset in 5-6 months as the situation only gets worse

3. Edited 7 years ago by cepheid

@ghostassasin81 why do you people type to much!!

Obviously a server reset is an important and controversial topic that affects everyone on the server. If you (or anyone else that sees this, for that matter) want to have any say in the matter I'd suggest stating your arguments or point of view as well

4. i agree with a reset but some people also disagree so i dont have much to say

5. An actual bank where players can store just currency is an interesting idea...

6. I agree with cepheid. I also believe that if it is designed to be rare then the player should work hard on it. Diamond is rare so it should be hard to acquire, so is shulker shells etc. Then from there let the economy of the server, which should be based on supply and demand dictate the conversions to other resources. The server is vanilla survival, rank 1. It hurts me to see its becoming creative by giving creative items (eggs, spawn villagers with imbalance trades)

7. Edited 7 years ago by Cileklim

2 months ago, I always thought I was the only one worried about how fucked up economy was. It seems like I'm not alone...

Emerald/diamond conversion, pumpkin villager, and now shulker eggs... 1.11 was the last bullet to our economy. I completely agree with @cepheid 's thoughts and I can imagine how absurd this may sound to a casual player but in order to balance and fix everything, we need to start with a clean slate.

Also, I would like to say that using admin heads to replace spawn eggs in Craftycrates is a brilliant idea! I believe that it will prevent the removal of spawn eggs from hurting the VIP+ sales in the future.

8. I'll make myself some baguettes and think about all this shit and come back but I'm still against server reset. I had enough of it. Even tho it's fun to start over can't lie about that one.

9. Edited 7 years ago by PenguinMytyMJ

but this is minecraft, isn't everything infinite anyway? somebody is bound to have loads of everything, if it's not diamonds it'll be emeralds and this is how much they'll end up being worth:
    http://www.naughtynathan.co.uk/minecraft/prices.htm
    tbh im just adding another point of view, im happy no matter what happens and for what it's worth i do agree with you ^_^

i'll change my name to contradictingMytyMJ :P

10. Based on what I saw so far there's two Main options to fix this and one of them is involving the reset, not gonna lie I see more people rooting for a reset rather than against it and even some people who dislike the idea rooting for it but maybe a poll would do us some good? In all honesty I don't even think a reset would have negative impact on the server itself if it's resetting with the new update. A new update a new adventure, A better economy, etc. if you all wanted to make something permanent a pvp/raidable/and griefable Minecraft server isn't the place. I know that's a personal opinion when the topic of a wipeout comes to mind but other people literally leave from getting raided all the time lol. Some even come back. Cause it all can be made better and replaced.

11. @Pimpcy Based on what I saw so far there's two Main options to fix this and one of them is involving the reset, not gonna lie I see more people rooting for a reset rather than against it and even some people who dislike the idea rooting for it but maybe a poll would do us some good? In all honesty I don't even think a reset would have negative impact on the server itself if it's resetting with the new update. A new update a new adventure, A better economy, etc. if you all wanted to make something permanent a pvp/raidable/and griefable Minecraft server isn't the place. I know that's a personal opinion when the topic of a wipeout comes to mind but other people literally leave from getting raided all the time lol. Some even come back. Cause it all can be made better and replaced.

you need to consider the p2p aspect of the server before considering a reset

12. Wether there is a reset or not, this conversation is making me feel very depressed.

13. Edited 7 years ago by Sofatroll

I would love to see a map reset. Trust me, I can tell how it feels to lose a great base, I lost a lot. Loxodon, Vilverin, Phyrexia, The Citadel and Strangers Rest. All of them were great places and my heart broke everytime when I had to move on. But I also learned that CraftyMynes is not the server to be on when you plan your buildings to last forever. It's always a matter of time. And if sb would raid and grief SC-Island now, then I wouldnt even be mad because it's the community that survives every loss, and everytime we grow stronger and better then we were before. And I think this also applies to the entire CM community, I was also here during 1.8. I saw the community developing and I feel like it is now way more advancd then it was back during 1.8, and I feel like a reset would blow some fresh air and energy in the community to develop even better. Also it would ofc fix a lot of problems regarding the fucked up economy. Seriously, I didnt really do a mining trip for months now because I simply dont need to. We have a giantic full-auto pumkin farm on our island. Almost 2 thousand pistons produce enough pumpkins to make us incredible rich, even if the villagers at spawn would be removed right know, we would still have dozens of stacks of Emmy blocks n our faction bank, enough to provide us with all we need forever. I really love to build, but rn I feel like I build out of boredom, I would't know what else to do.

14. How long did this take you to type?

15. I fully agree with a map reset. I've been a member here over a year but most of y'all know I don't frequent the server hourly (I do other things besides gaming and school) so I don't really spend time on building a base, currently my base is little more than a hole in the side of a hill and a stack of diamonds. I don't see the importance of a spawn egg so I don't think they are needed. I found a VIP+ CraftyCrate that a noob had (all too obviously) buried in a hill and got 2 squid eggs, one I gave away and one I swapped my zombie spawner with thinking I would get the zombie egg, which I didn't and so I don't use the squid farm. The only thing I use is the minerals to emeralds and emeralds to diamonds trades because I don't frequent and am too lazy to go and mine.

A full reset along with the elimination of spawn eggs and the OP trades would be fine with me. I would still play here.

16. @Sofatroll I would love to see a map reset. Trust me, I can tell how it feels to lose a great base, I lost a lot. Loxodon, Vilverin, Phyrexia, The Citadel and Strangers Rest. All of them were great places and my heart broke everytime when I had to move on. But I also learned that CraftyMynes is not the server to be on when you plan your buildings to last forever. It's always a matter of time. And if sb would raid and grief SC-Island now, then I wouldnt even be mad because it's the community that survives every loss, and everytime we grow stronger and better then we were before. And I think this also applies to the entire CM community, I was also here during 1.8. I saw the community developing and I feel like it is now way more advancd then it was back during 1.8, and I feel like a reset would blow some fresh air and energy in the community to develop even better. Also it would ofc fix a lot of problems regarding the fucked up economy. Seriously, I didnt really do a mining trip for months now because I simply dont need to. We have a giantic full-auto pumkin farm on our island. Almost 2 thousand pistons produce enough pumpkins to make us incredible rich, even if the villagers at spawn would be removed right know, we would still have dozens of stacks of Emmy blocks n our faction bank, enough to provide us with all we need forever. I really love to build, but rn I feel like I build out of boredom, I would't know what else to do.

Yep thats what I feel also.

17. Throwing in my 2 cents... first up, I just want it to be said that balancing a real world economy is incredibly difficult, if not impossible, even with thousands of people working together. Managing a Virtual one is no less difficult, simplified as it may be, its still prone to drastic shifts and unpredictability.

The biggest issue i think we can all agree stemmed from the emerald to diamond conversion. It should be noted that in 1.8, this was a healthy, necessary villager trade that had a truly positive effect on the economy. Before the inclusion of mending, there was no way around eventually having to replace armor and tools, god gear came and went quickly because it all sooner or later was unable to be repaired. There was a much higher need for diamonds for personal use. So naturally in going forward for 1.9 the trade was kept. Nobody had any idea how drastically mending would effect the vanilla experience and the inflation of diamonds. The diamond trade wasn't a blatent mistake made by staff completely ignoring players as a fair few seem to think, it was an existing trade that had worked well for some time that felt natural to move into the next update.

In hindsight, mending really messed up the economy. What I dont understand is why everyone thinks pumpkin / crop farms are issues. I have a farmer villager in my base that actually has a better deal on carrots than the villager in spawn, and hes got a 10 pumpkin / melon per emmy trade as well, and thats straight vanilla, Emeralds are meant to be easy to come by. I realize this compounds the problem set by the emerald to diamond trade, but the farms themselves arent an issue whatsoever. The argument also can't be made that having personal access to villagers is too OP. While the 1.11 change to zombie spawners certainly makes access to zillagers much more difficult, this is a problem unique to Craftymynes, as mob griefing is off, if it were on like in a standard survival world, villagers would be stupid easy to breed, even with the 1.11 update. Even all things considered, with enough time, its still relatively easy to breed villagers and create your own market.

But enough with the econony problems, we all know they're there and we're basically repeating ourselves, we need to focus on our options.

Everyone seems to be clamoring for a map reset but that introduces a policy issue. Players need to be reassured to some degree that another map reset isnt just around the corner with every update. Thjs map isnt even that old, it was just created in february or march if i remember correctly. Just to clarify, Id be okay with a map reset, Id wager I have one of the larger bases on the server and having to start over would be fine. But I think we should look to other online gaming economies for a solution.

My personal reccomendation for a fix would not be a map reset, or a diamond wipe, but a currency conversion / payout and then eliminate the jeweler villager altogether. World of warcraft has done this frequently in the past with marks of honor / honor points / arena points. They changed the currency and coverted everyones existing "old currency" to the current market equivalent in gold coins.

Now it would work for us like this. Admins and Crafty would determine an acceptable base limit on diamond. Say 20 diamond blocks for the sake of example. Any players with more than that would be stripped of any and all excess and paid a conversion of emeralds... think imminent domain here. FOr the good of the server were taking all your excess diamonds away, but youll be paid fairly in emeralds for them.

This is the most fair and least invasive way to "reset" the server economy. It doesnt call for a complete map reset, and there isnt a massive disparity of inconvenience based on how long youve been playing. IF you have less than that 20 diamond block limit when the "imminent domain payout" happens, you wont even be affected. If youve amassed like 900 diamond blocks, youll be paid their worth in emeralds. Likewise if youve only got 100 diamond blocks, you be paid less emeralds, but the same rate as everyone else.

This would not damage the economy or start it off unequally whatsoever, as emeralds are easy as hell to come by in vanilla already and are meant to be available in these quantities, the people who have so many diamonds have that many because they farmed that many emeralds available to them in a vanilla setting. They would have that many emeralds had the diamond conversion never existed.

From the buyout point onwards, remove the jeweler altogether. From there, it could then be decided whether or not to revert all spawners back to normal or not but i feel thats another issue altogether.

This makes more sense than a reset. If we reset youll lose all your diamonds, gear, building progress anyways. This way everyone gets to keep their bases and gets compensated equally and fairly based on their current level of wealth.

18. Deleted 7 years ago by Kinkybobo
  19. Edited 7 years ago by Cileklim

My main concern about this idea is tracking the diamond blocks. Is there any way to precisely know how many diamond blocks does a player have? I mean they could just lie about it...

20. I'd like for you to expand this idea a bit further. As I see it, the logistics of this would be even more of a pain for the admins than making a new server, as (1) players could lie about how many diamonds they have and (2) inactive players wouldn't have their diamonds "cashed out" and would return to still have an inflated supply of diamonds. Essentially you're asking for a pseudo-reset in player wealth without a map reset, and maybe this would be ideal but I fail to see the logistics of it.

side note: even in a successful reset like you're asking emeralds would have close to 0 value since there would be so many of them on the server. I think that there is an emerald to diamonds (or pretty much any item to diamonds) ratio that can work, but it should be determined naturally by players trading with each other

21. You have a nice point there KinkyBobo and I agree with most of what you said particularly the diamond-emerald villagers in spawn. In fact, one of my suggestions which was ruled out is the removal of those villagers. Now about the cashing out, I dont agree with that as pointed by cepheid, its a logistic nightmare. In any case, reset or not, I think the staff or crafty should get some idea on what is root of the problem from all the discussion and debate from this thread (and from other related thread).
    I would love to hear what the staff or crafty's opinion on this.

22. Newer ›

or Sign Up to reply!