can i usea vpn on craftymyes

1. 6 years ago

I recently got aVPN and have had some login issues with mojang. After turnig it off everthing worked fine. It may just be a setup thing I am still learning how to use it ,but I wanted to know if using a VPN is allowed on craftymynes or is it possible to use on craftynynes?

2. This is just my guess but I think that VPNs would be allowed but not for the following reasons:

1. Bypassing an IP ban.
    2. Voting multiple times to get an advantage.
    3. Some other unfair/unintended bypass to a rule.
  3. my reason for a VPN is improved personally internet security and access to overseas programming. I am really into UK tv shows lately and some Australia stuff.

4. In that case I doubt there would be a problem using a VPN, but it's best to wait and let a staff member respond before enabling it.

5. Mojang has banned VPN's for unkown reasons. if you log in with one it will log you out and in some cases changes your password. so if you dont have your login details to get your account back, i do not suggest you use a VPN

6. @Cankicker8 Mojang has banned VPN's for unkown reasons. if you log in with one it will log you out and in some cases changes your password. so if you dont have your login details to get your account back, i do not suggest you use a VPN

I've actually played mc on a VPN before, but that was almost a year ago so this is still news to me. Weird choice on mojang's half but I guess it has to fall in the bypassing category if anything.

7. whats VPN

8. @STRANGER_ This is just my guess but I think that VPNs would be allowed but not for the following reasons:

Bypassing an IP ban.
    Voting multiple times to get an advantage.
    Some other unfair/unintended bypass to a rule.

Exactly right!

9. @Retrochewy whats VPN

Virtual Private Network is one of a few ways that you can reroute your internet traffic.

@Cankicker8 Cankicker8 2 hours ago
    Mojang has banned VPN's for unkown reasons. if you log in with one it will log you out and in some cases changes your password. so if you don't have your login details to get your account back, i do not suggest you use a VPN

I don't think you are correct. I don't want anyone to be discouraged from making improvements to their privacy/security, because they think they will loose their account. Off the top of my head here are some things you would want to keep in mind about a VPN:

1. Free VPNs most likely sell your information to advertisers, which may not meet your privacy needs.
    2. If you use a shady VPN provider you may be exposing yourself to a man in the middle attack.
    3. If you use a VPN you may end up using an IP address that has previously been used by an IP banned player. That could include people banned on the server as well as the voting websites.

Assuming you get VPN service from a reputable source, you should not have any issues beyond a slight additional lag.

10. Edited 6 years ago by STRANGER_

@pand1024 Virtual Private Network is one of a few ways that you can reroute your internet traffic.

I don't think you are correct. I don't want anyone to be discouraged from making improvements to their privacy/security, because they think they will loose their account. Off the top of my head here are some things you would want to keep in mind about a VPN:

1. Free VPNs most likely sell your information to advertisers, which may not meet your privacy needs.
    2. If you use a shady VPN provider you may be exposing yourself to a man in the middle attack.
    3. If you use a VPN you may end up using an IP address that has previously been used by an IP banned player. That could include people banned on the server as well as the voting websites.

Assuming you get VPN service from a reputable source, you should not have any issues beyond a slight additional lag.

After some research, I believe that Mojang actually does ban accounts using a VPN, kind of. However I think that setting up security questions and logging into the account after changing IPs would be okay, as they only make players (from what I read) change password and security info. I believe they do this to keep players' accounts safe as it appears that someone that does not seem to be you (The different IP) logging into your account and potentially compromising your personal info. However they could arbitrarily ban anyone for "security reasons." The main thing to take from this is that nowhere in the EULA/ToS Mojang provides does it say that VPNs are not allowed. I personally see no issue using a VPN but be sure to do the following things to ensure you don't get backlash (Hopefully):

1. Log out of minrcraft before enabling your VPN.
    2. Set up securityy questions for mojang.
    3. Don't do anything that would draw attention to you, it's basically not wanted but they can't enforce it if you follow these steps.

Don't quote me on any of this is you do get told to change your account, I'm not sure if Mojang keeps track of past IPs and this is just my thoughts.

11. @STRANGER_ After some research, I believe that Mojang actually does ban accounts using a VPN, kind of. However I think that setting up security questions and logging into the account after changing IPs would be okay, as they only make players (from what I read) change password and security info. I believe they do this to keep players' accounts safe as it appears that someone that does not seem to be you (The different IP) logging into your account and potentially compromising your personal info. However they could arbitrarily ban anyone for "security reasons." The main thing to take from this is that nowhere in the EULA/ToS Mojang provides does it say that VPNs are not allowed. I personally see no issue using a VPN but be sure to do the following things to ensure you don't get backlash (Hopefully):

1. Log out of minrcraft before enabling your VPN.
    2. Set up securityy questions for mojang.
    3. Don't do anything that would draw attention to you, it's basically not wanted but they can't enforce it if you follow these steps.

Don't quote me on any of this is you do get told to change your account, I'm not sure if Mojang keeps track of past IPs and this is just my thoughts.

After some more reading, using a VPN may cause some issues like not being able to log in on the VPN and having to change your password 3+ times. However, it seems people in Asia get the most of these issues (or at least people using an IP in Asia, but still it's a gamble. Also (don't worry we know you aren't a troublemaker) I'm not sure if condoning using a VPN would be a good plan since hackers could potentially be immune to IP bans, but I have no idea if you can even do much to enforce that, similar to the texture pack drama.

12. Edited 6 years ago by r4iscool1

From my own extensive experience of using VPN with minecraft Mojang does not ban accounts or IPs except in exceptional circumstances they do however Rate limit logins meaning they will only allow a certain amount of logins or attempted ones before refusing anymore on an IP.
    This seems to be less prevalent however with IPs already associated with the account. After 24 hours they do seem to remove this limit.
    Im pretty sure they do not ban public vpns either however the IPs on these servers are used often to try crack accounts meaning they can often be limited and they may manually ban some IPs for suspected accounting stealing.

So in conclusion using VPNs is fine but you may need to swap around IPs to find one that works, you could also buy a VPN which provides a unique static address to for more permanent security that would always work.

13. I will turn off my VPN to play minecraft. I already encountered the Mojang thing and had to reset my password. For future reference can I get a clear yes or no answer to whether or not VPN use is allowed on craftymynes. Perhaps staff could add this answer to the rules list for anyone else has this question n the future.

14. @CraftyMyner Exactly right!

Well Crafty did give a two word answer but it was kind of burried in there. Acording to Crafty this was exactly correct.

@STRANGER_ This is just my guess but I think that VPNs would be allowed but not for the following reasons:

1. Bypassing an IP ban.
    2. Voting multiple times to get an advantage.
    3. Some other unfair/unintended bypass to a rule.
  15. They are allowed as long as you don't use it ro bypass an ip ban or vote multiple times.

I use a vpn when I play in different servers and have never encountered any issues. I do pay for mine though. The switching to a different ip will immediately cause you to relog but thats it. It isn't hard to remember your login info.

16. Yes whenever i visit my parents or play from a different ip on holiday it always requests me to login again.

17. Yea, to make what I said more clear, using a VPN has no bad consequences on the server (unless you do one of thee 3 things I listed above). People were saying that people could/couldn't use a VPN without being banned, I doubt you will get banned but you may experience "side effects" such as needing to change password if you switch too many times, but nothing permanent should happen. :)

or Sign Up to reply!