Question for staff about 1.11

1. 7 years ago

Hi guys,

Just wondering about the new game rule maxEntityCramming.
    Is it tweaked or are you going to leave the default value of 24 (i think)?

Thanks in advance

2. I will be leaving it at 24.

3. That's gonna take some getting used to.
    Thanks again for the swift answer Crafty.

4. Wait what does the gamerule do even lol

5. It sets how many mobs (also players) can be in a 1x1 space before they "crush" each other to death.
    With the default of 24 you can have up to 25 mobs in a 1x1 safely (each one collides with 24 others)
    If you have 26 mobs they will all take suffocation damage until one dies.

Gamerule is great for increasing performance because it can save the game having to calculate too many collisions. The choice of 24 for the default seems a bit odd to some

6. Ok thank you!

7. It's a funny death message too. "______ was squished too much."

8. Wow, I need to redesign some of my grinders

9. Didnt even know about this -.- no more xp for me

10. this is ez to solve, instead of making a 1x1 kill zone, make it 1*x, e.g. 1*5 .. this gives them walking room and from object collision they will automatically spread out

11. @TheForgotten20 this is ez to solve, instead of making a 1x1 kill zone, make it 1*x, e.g. 1*5 .. this gives them walking room and from object collision they will automatically spread out

Mobs also tend to bunch up in the corners, so a 2x2 will actually fit more than a 1x4. a 2x2 should also be plenty for 100 mobs (i.e. server limit) so there's no need to go any bigger.

12. What about for mob grinders for entities with larger hitboxes? For example I have a spider grinder. All of the spiders are shoved into a 2x2 area, so I'd have to make that area 4x4? I'd have to redesign the whole thing....

13. Edited 7 years ago by NutjobBob

@PurpleMare Ah yes, spiders are going to be a pain to use in xp farms. I tried a 2x3 sapce but you can only get up to maybe 40-45 before they start dying. I'd say just avoid using spiders for xp farms now, unless you actually want to redesign the grinder for a 4x4 area. Cave spiders should still be usable though.

The upside is if you just want the drops making a grinder is now so much easier!

One one other possibility for any mob is have several separate chambers and use the iron weighted pressure plate to count to 21 mobs (or 25 if you push some armour stands into the block).

14. @NutjobBob @PurpleMare Ah yes, spiders are going to be a pain to use in xp farms. I tried a 2x3 sapce but you can only get up to maybe 40-45 before they start dying. I'd say just avoid using spiders for xp farms now, unless you actually want to redesign the grinder for a 4x4 area. Cave spiders should still be usable though.

The upside is if you just want the drops making a grinder is now so much easier!

One one other possibility for any mob is have several separate chambers and use the iron weighted pressure plate to count to 21 mobs (or 25 if you push some armour stands into the block).

@NutjobBob could you expand on the iron weighted pressure plate idea for me? I have not heard of such a mechanism before. A link would be much appreciated.

15. @PurpleMare
    I'll do my best :)
    Briefly, iron pressure plates give a signal strength of 4 when there's 31 mobs on them. If you push 6 armour stands into the block the pressure plate is on they are counted, but cant be moved. The pressure plate will then count 25 mobs on top of it.

1 caveat:

You cannot use the sword swipe on mobs, It will 'kill' the armour stands.

Here's a brief demonstration of how I would use this:

Starting with a hopper minecart to pick up drops
    -image-

Break the rail and drop 6 armour stands onto the hopper
    -image-

Push blocks into the minecart/armour stands
    -image-

Remove extra blocks and add the pressure plate
    -image-

Now you're good to go! I used a cauldron for a little more compactness. Here the torch (top left) will turn off when there's 25 mobs on the pressure plate
    -image-

A example of how you might chain them together. Add crusher/drop shaft as you like.
    -image-

16. I like the 1x25 rule, I don't have to worry about mob grinder getting backed up to kingdom come if I have to go AFK longer than expected.

17. I agree with you @TimmyBoyT

or Sign Up to reply!