Clarification on Rules?

1. 6 years ago

I got kicked for saying "thats retarded" in regards to low wages for servers in southern states on the basis that it falls under controversial words or terms. I see no section in the rules that I violated however, as it is not a curse word,
    I was not speaking about a controversial topic, and it isn't hate speech.

I don't really care about the kick, I just want to know where the boundary is. If I knew that I could possibly be banned for talking about my mentally retarded cousin then I would have not used the term in the first place.

If I am wrong and I did violate a rule I'd love to know because the staff I was speaking to had only that to say to me and I honestly did not know how I violated a rule other than because the staff member did not like the term that I used.

Response to when I asked what rule I broke:
    -image-

2. The term could easily offend people, especially if they are close to someone who is mentally retarded. It can be seen as extremely rude to use it in terms unrelated to the mental condition.

I'm not staff, obviously, but that's my take on it.

3. I find if you keep the conversation in game related to gameplay there are fewer problems. Every time someone starts talking about politics people end up getting kicked and sometimes banned.
    Which is fine by me because I turn to gaming to escape politics.

4. Edited 6 years ago by WBlaine

The rules that encompass the subject with which you are concerned are the following:

Be respectful to other players - Don’t use extremely derogatory terms or epithets...

Practice good chat etiquette - Don’t use caps, don’t spam, don’t discuss controversial, sensitive or offensive topics (e.g. sex, sexual identity or preferences, race, politics, religion, drugs, etc.)...

The word that you are speaking of is often used in a derogatory manner that is offensive some and insensitive to people who are affected by such conditions. If we were to form a list of all subjects and words that are not acceptable, it would be bound to be incomplete as some subjects would unintentionally be neglected, allowing people to use the absense of some offensive terms from the list as a defense for discussing them. Thus, we leave it intentionally vague to accommodate for all cases. If you are told by a staff member to drop a subject, it is for a reason. If you need further clarification, the best approach is to simply move on and send a personal message to the staff member involved so as to get your answer without continuing to disturb main chat. Avoiding a word that others find offensive will not harm your gameplay, while making the server more welcoming for all.

I hope this helps

5. @WBlaine The rules that encompass the subject with which you are concerned are the following:

Be respectful to other players - Don’t use extremely derogatory terms or epithets...

Practice good chat etiquette - Don’t use caps, don’t spam, don’t discuss controversial, sensitive or offensive topics (e.g. sex, sexual identity or preferences, race, politics, religion, drugs, etc.)...

The word that you are speaking of is often used in a derogatory manner that is offensive some and insensitive to people who are affected by such conditions. If we were to form a list of all subjects and words that are not acceptable, it would be bound to be incomplete as some subjects would unintentionally be neglected, allowing people to use the absense of some offensive terms from the list as a defense for discussing them. Thus, we leave it intentionally vague to accommodate for all cases. If you are told by a staff member to drop a subject, it is for a reason. If you need further clarification, the best approach is to simply move on and send a personal message to the staff member involved so as to get your answer without continuing to disturb main chat. Avoiding a word that others find offensive will not harm your gameplay, while making the server more welcoming for all.

I hope this helps

I totally understand, I was a staff member many times before. I can't stand servers that attempt to name every conceivable situation and do not allow for interpretation.

My only issue was that I was not using it in a way to harm a person or attack a topic that fell into those categories named by the online staff and failed to properly explain what I had exactly broken. The area that they referred to does not exist in the terms they used to describe it.

And like I said, I wouldn't have said it had I known I could be kicked for using it in a seemingly passive way. Based on what you said, if I use retarded in any sentence regardless of context I could be punished, which I understand but I do believe that clarification by staff members or the rules could be improved.

Thanks for the response. I don't do this to break balls, I just was honestly curious as to the real reason why. I just wanted a real explanation other than a "drop the subject because you asked a question."

6. Edited 6 years ago by r4iscool1

@SeantasticSean My only issue was that I was not using it in a way to harm a person or attack a topic that fell into those categories named by the online staff and failed to properly explain what I had exactly broken. The area that they referred to does not exist in the terms they used to describe it.

Well since I was present, chat is not the place to ask for lengthy clarification of the rules, if you have an issue PM or take it to the forums like now. Arguing about it in the chat is not tolerated so I would ask you to not do so in future. The area we referred to does exist in the rules too, retarded is a controversial term which I informed you in chat and it is mentioned in the rules.

@SeantasticSean And like I said, I wouldn't have said it had I known I could be kicked for using it in a seemingly passive way. Based on what you said, if I use retarded in any sentence regardless of context I could be punished, which I understand but I do believe that clarification by staff members or the rules could be improved.

I'm sorry but as I said chat is not the place for that sort of discussion, if you have a concern or you feel clarification is inadequate take it to here not argue it in chat. I think you'd find not arguing would also help people give you clarification.

@SeantasticSean Thanks for the response. I don't do this to break balls, I just was honestly curious as to the real reason why. I just wanted a real explanation other than a "drop the subject because you asked a question."

I'm glad that you are using the forums this way now but you were provided a number of explanations even more lengthy than the ones above in chat but you wanted to argue instead, no one ever asked you to stop because you were asking a question, we asked you to stop because you kept arguing and ignoring what we said. Therefore asking you to take it to forums.

7. @R4iscool1 Well since I was present, chat is not the place to ask for lengthy clarification of the rules, if you have an issue PM or take it to the forums like now. Arguing about it in the chat is not tolerated so I would ask you to not do so in future. The area we referred to does exist in the rules too, retarded is a controversial term which I informed you in chat and it is mentioned in the rules.

I'm sorry but as I said chat is not the place for that sort of discussion, if you have a concern or you feel clarification is inadequate take it to here not argue it in chat. I think you'd find not arguing would also help people give you clarification.

I'm glad that you are using the forums this way now but you were provided a number of explanations even more lengthy than the ones above in chat but you wanted to argue instead, no one ever asked you to stop because you were asking a question, we asked you to stop because you kept arguing and ignoring what we said. Therefore asking you to take it to forums.

I wasn't, arguing, I was asking. I didn't question the punishment just the charge. I never once hinted to the idea that I thought I shouldn't have been kicked. I didn't realize that it was against the rules to ask why I was kicked and what rule I broke.

I was told I mentioned a word that is controversial which is against the rules. I said that that wasn't in the rules, it only mentions controversial topics being against the rules and using hate speech or excessive swears against other players as being against the rules. So I asked what rule I broke then. Then I was told to drop it, which I did.

And I still cant find it in the wording that says I can't use controversial words. I understand its not the kindest word. But there is a huge difference between not being able to discuss controversial topics and using controversial words that is being overlooked. There is a difference between using the word retarded and talking badly about retarded kids.

8. @SeantasticSean I wasn't, arguing, I was asking. I didn't question the punishment just the charge. I never once hinted to the idea that I thought I shouldn't have been kicked. I didn't realize that it was against the rules to ask why I was kicked and what rule I broke.

I was told I mentioned a word that is controversial which is against the rules. I said that that wasn't in the rules, it only mentions controversial topics being against the rules and using hate speech or excessive swears against other players as being against the rules. So I asked what rule I broke then. Then I was told to drop it, which I did.

And I still cant find it in the wording that says I can't use controversial words. I understand its not the kindest word. But there is a huge difference between not being able to discuss controversial topics and using controversial words that is being overlooked. There is a difference between using the word retarded and talking badly about retarded kids.

You were arguing, you were constantly insisting that you were right and it was indeed not under the topics we listed. It's not against the rules to ask why you are kicked, it's against the rules however to constantly argue with staff when they are explaining why.

It was multiple times told to you, that retard is a controversial topic it even says it in the screenshot you posted. Clearly you must not have read them then.
    Actually it was only the second time I asked you to drop it, you complied.

Words related to controversial topics and topics that offend people leads to discussion of those topics most of the time, ergo to head off that sort of discussion we forbid such words.
    It's not a hard relationship to understand.

9. in context nothing wrong with the word
    re·tard
    verb
    past tense: retarded; past participle: retarded
    riˈtärd/

a delay or hold back in terms of progress, development, or accomplishment.

10. Edited 6 years ago by CreeperLord170
    Be respectful to other players - Don’t use extremely derogatory terms or epithets. Don’t insult or personally attack others in excess. If someone asks you to stop, then stop.

Don’t use excessive or extremely offensive profanity - Cursing is allowed in moderation, but don’t go overboard or get shockingly offensive with it. Staff will warn you if you’re crossing the line.

Practice good chat etiquette - Don’t use caps, don’t spam, don’t discuss controversial, sensitive or offensive topics (e.g. sex, sexual identity or preferences, race, politics, religion, drugs, etc.), no advertising, no links, no trolling. Please only use the minecraft font and English in global chat.

The rules against your offense.

Look at this abstract from the ddo of Hong Kong.

CAP 487 DISABILITY DISCRIMINATION ORDINANCE Section 46 Vilification

(1)It is unlawful for a person, by any activity in public, to incite hatred towards, serious contempt for, or severe ridicule of, another person with a disability or members of a class of persons with a disability.
    (1A)For the purposes of subsection (1), it is immaterial whether a person is actually incited, by an activity, to—
    (a)hatred towards;
    (b)serious contempt for; or
    (c)severe ridicule of,
    another person with a disability or members of a class of persons with a disability. (Added 29 of 2008 s. 99)
    (2)Nothing in this section renders unlawful—
    (a)a fair report of an activity in public;
    (b)an activity in public that—
    (i)is a communication or the distribution or dissemination of any matter; and
    (ii)consists of a publication which is subject to a defence of absolute privilege in proceedings for defamation; or (Replaced 29 of 2008 s. 99)
    (c)an activity in public done reasonably and in good faith, for academic, artistic, scientific or research purposes in the public interest, including discussions about and expositions of any matter.
    (3)In this section and section 47, activity in public ( 公開活動 ) includes—
    (a)any form of communication to the public, including speaking, writing, printing, displaying notices, broadcasting, screening and playing of tapes or other recorded material;
    (b)any conduct (not being a form of communication referred to in paragraph (a)) observable by the public, including actions and gestures and the wearing or display of clothing, signs, flags, emblems and insignia;
    (c)the distribution or dissemination of any matter to the public.

And this from Canada.

Publication of discriminatory notices, etc.

12 It is a discriminatory practice to publish or display before the public or to cause to be published or displayed before the public any notice, sign, symbol, emblem or other representation that

(a) expresses or implies discrimination or an intention to discriminate, or

(b) incites or is calculated to incite others to discriminate

if the discrimination expressed or implied, intended to be expressed or implied or incited or calculated to be incited would otherwise, if engaged in, be a discriminatory practice described in any of sections 5 to 11 or in section 14.

Marginal note:Harassment

14 (1) It is a discriminatory practice,

(a) in the provision of goods, services, facilities or accommodation customarily available to the general public,

(b) in the provision of commercial premises or residential accommodation, or

(c) in matters related to employment,

to harass an individual on a prohibited ground of discrimination.

Marginal note:Sexual harassment

(2) Without limiting the generality of subsection (1), sexual harassment shall, for the purposes of that subsection, be deemed to be harassment on a prohibited ground of discrimination.

Marginal note:Retaliation

14.1 It is a discriminatory practice for a person against whom a complaint has been filed under Part III, or any person acting on their behalf, to retaliate or threaten retaliation against the individual who filed the complaint or the alleged victim.

The Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities

Article 17 - Protecting the integrity of the person
    Every person with disabilities has a right to respect for his or her physical and mental integrity on an equal basis with others.

Using the word under that circumstances is not only controversial but also an offensive harassment and is a criminal offence for irl laws as this is considered as disability discrimination that shall be prohibited to protect people with disabilities.

11. Just the fact there is a 20 page conversation on this means it's controversial, and not allowed.

or Sign Up to reply!