1. 7 years ago
    Edited 7 years ago by Sofatroll

Hey ho fellow Craftymyners,
    As the title says I suggest CraftyMynes to get their own Discord server.
    Discord is like the child of Teamspeak and Skype, it's creators successfully combined the advantages of both devices, making it the perfect platform for communicating. The SC is using it's own Discord server for a while now and we never had any problems with it.
    Let me tell ya some advantages:

• while there is a downloadable version for PC and phone, it can also be used via the browser (for the lazy players among us)
    • it's freeware
    • it's 100% free from ads
    • has a nice and userfriendly interface
    • invite links drop you directly into the server, making it perfect for shedule messages ingame
    • ranks and permissions are easy to manage while leaving lot's of space for customization
    • just as in TS, unlimited voice channels can be created and adjusted to permissions and ranks
    • same for text channels, making it lot's of easier to use and less spammy then Skype
    • you can add friends, see when they are on and send them private messages
    • you are always just a single mouseclick away from switching to another Discord server or your private messages
    • it supports so-called webhooks, for those who dont know what it is, it's basically a connection to a website, for example this forum. They can be adjusted so that when a special event happens in the website the webhook is gonna give out a specific notification in the discord. Someone wrote a personal message to a staff member? The webhook can give a notification in staff's private chat, to just name an example. Dont get me wrong, my subject area is social sciences and not programming, I dont know shit about how that really works and how much work it is to implent, but I see lots of potential in this regarding what I've read and tried with my noob knoweldge.
    • check this link for a full list of features

This could be a way to get more people to connect to our lovely community, since for the users it's absolutely idiot-proof and easy to handle. So why don't we give it a try?
    -Sofatroll

2. We have one, I just haven't put any effort into it because managing email, skype, teamspeak, panel, forum, vips, buycraft, minecraft and discord is a lot of work.

3. Then ask some of your staff to do the basic setup :P

4. It's quite weird that you mentioned this since we literally just had this conversation.
    Most of the staff prefer discord as it's interface is better and it doesn't involve the IP sharing security issue.
    However there's issues related to those with high pings having poor voice quality and the fact that most of our contacts are on Skype for the foreseeable future so like crafty said it just becomes one more thing to check.

5. @R4iscool1 It's quite weird that you mentioned this since we literally just had this conversation.
    Most of the staff prefer discord as it's interface is better and it doesn't involve the IP sharing security issue.
    However there's issues related to those with high pings having poor voice quality and the fact that most of our contacts are on Skype for the foreseeable future so like crafty said it just becomes one more thing to check.

Indeed quite weird lol , i don't mind ethier skype or discord , but teamspeak will always be my bae #Teamspeak Ambassador

6. @R4iscool1 It's quite weird that you mentioned this since we literally just had this conversation.

In my experience using discord, I have only suffered ping issues 1 time. (from Minnesota to east coast discord server) . It is fairly reliable in my experience. There is also the argument of operating cost savings due to teamspeak costing money (prices shown in image linked below, all in USD) whereas discord is free.-image-

7. @ardoasms In my experience using discord, I have only suffered ping issues 1 time. (from Minnesota to east coast discord server) . It is fairly reliable in my experience. There is also the argument of operating cost savings due to teamspeak costing money (prices shown in image linked below, all in USD) whereas discord is free.

Costs nothing for me, I already have the server.

8. Edited 7 years ago by r4iscool1

@ardoasms In my experience using discord, I have only suffered ping issues 1 time. (from Minnesota to east coast discord server) . It is fairly reliable in my experience. There is also the argument of operating cost savings due to teamspeak costing money (prices shown in image linked below, all in USD) whereas discord is free.-image-

We have a number of staff who are not based in the US however Me, Creeper, Nysic, Danny, Mabz, Tezzer and I'm probably forgetting someone too. What I and others have found is that the voice quality is poorer than TS3 over long distances, particularly since you cannot pick a codec.

9. @R4iscool1 We have a number of staff who are not based in the US however Me, Creeper, Nysic, Danny, Mabz, Tezzer and I'm probably forgetting someone too. What I have found and others is that the voice quality is poorer than TS3 over long distances, particularly since you cannot pick a codec.

My potatoe irish wifi would probably mean youd never hear me again xD

10. Edited 7 years ago by CactusOwnage

Like r4 said, the voice channels will lag for people that are not in the US. I was once on Discord with Dawn and I couldn't hear her at all. And with TeamSpeak I don't have any trouble.

11. that's why i specified my situation rather than saying "uhh it works fine for me". It also seems to work fine for many people around the world as ive spoken to people in Italy, Germany, Portugal, and Malaysia with no issues with understanding on either end. One possible cause of the understanding issue is that Discord may have automatically set their volume too low, which can be fixed by right clicking then name and adjusting that person's volume on your end. There are also ways to make Discord easier to run with a weak connection to it by simply reducing the bitrate which is done by clicking the little gear by the server name and moving a slide bar thing.

@CraftyMyner Costs nothing for me, I already have the server.

I was under the impression that teamspeak had a monthly fee as ive never purchased one of their servers.

12. Edited 7 years ago by r4iscool1

Our observations seem to differ, Ts3 in general seems to out perform over a distance from the limited testing.

I believe the TS3 may come with the hosting free, they aren't hard to manually host either on one of the back end servers.

13. @ardoasms that's why i specified my situation rather than saying "uhh it works fine for me". It also seems to work fine for many people around the world as ive spoken to people in Italy, Germany, Portugal, and Malaysia with no issues with understanding on either end. One possible cause of the understanding issue is that Discord may have automatically set their volume too low, which can be fixed by right clicking then name and adjusting that person's volume on your end. There are also ways to make Discord easier to run with a weak connection to it by simply reducing the bitrate which is done by clicking the little gear by the server name and moving a slide bar thing.

I was under the impression that teamspeak had a monthly fee as ive never purchased one of their servers.

Hm werid. It could have been my connection tho. I have good internet but its pretty unstable and I need to reset it often. I live in the Netherlands and everytime I connect to the Discord voice channels on the CraftyMynes server I have a ping of around 175 ms. And I saw this everytime I connect. I also tried Discord with my friend and chose the server in Amsterdam and then it worked perfectly.

14. i think we should switch for discord. Discord can do everything that ts can o except better.
    better layout, easier text messages etc...

15. Edited 7 years ago by Sofatroll

About the issue with the long distances, while I can not argue with technical data, I gotta say that our team is spread out over the entire world. We had conversations with people from the US, Europe, east Asia and Australia at the same time. So far the only person who ever had any issues was ghost who lives by far the nearest to our Discord serer's location at the US east-coast.

16. Never had one problem with the inter connection, and my connection isn't surely the best so, easy!

or Sign Up to reply!