Fix Invisibility Potions

1. 7 years ago
    Edited 7 years ago by SharpSerac

Previously I do not think you were not able to go truly invisible to other players on the same team, but I was messing with teams and I found the "seeFriendlyInvisibles" option which, when set to false, will not show friendly invisible players. This option can be used on a team by team basis, so you don't have to enable it for the spawn team so you can prevent players from secretly RTP'ing with another player.

Usage: /scoreboard teams option (Team Name) seeFriendlyInvisibles false

2. It's quite hard for staff to catch invisible players, if the usage of invisible pots becomes mainstream then that represents a big issue.
    There is also huge potential for spawn camping with this too which is something to be discouraged.
    I'm interested to see what the non pvp community says though.

3. If the staff is in spectator mode, invisible players and mobs will look translucent to them.

4. That's an alright suggestion, but I'm not entirely sure what you mean. Are you saying that seeFriendlyInvisibles should be turned off? This should stay on, at least for the spawn team.

(Also, I imagine that CraftyMyner would know this command already. xP)

5. @R4iscool1 It's quite hard for staff to catch invisible players, if the usage of invisible pots becomes mainstream then that represents a big issue.
    There is also huge potential for spawn camping with this too which is something to be discouraged.
    I'm interested to see what the non pvp community says though.

My 2 cents: For non-pvp I would see an increase in demand for gold as its crafting ingredient which would diversify the player economy (especially since the potions are one-use), but it'd turn pvp, griefing, and raiding into something I see as frightening.

The problem with it being minecraft is that many are playing without the intention of pvp. A change like this would largely benefit those very few who actively on prey on players, who would then in turn be forced to use it to protect themselves while away from their base.

I would say the use of the invisibility potion across the server would largely depend on how much the pvpers use it. Which is probably going to be a lot of use.

As much as I like the trading aspects to it, as a player I anticipate more harm than good to the server from this and would vote against it.

6. @Valgys I anticipate more harm than good to the server from this and would vote against it.

Pretty much sums my viewpoint up, I think the current implementation maintains the benefit of PVE use such as attacking mob armies but at the same time not providing an ideal opportunity to camp and cause trouble.

@_Haxington_ If the staff is in spectator mode, invisible players and mobs will look translucent to them.

The issue is most staff don't have access to spec.

7. @R4iscool1 It's quite hard for staff to catch invisible players, if the usage of invisible pots becomes mainstream then that represents a big issue.

I don't think you got the point of my post. Currently if you drink an invisibility potion you are only invisible to people who are on a DIFFERENT team than you are. This means that if we are outside of spawn and I drink an invisibility potion, you won't be able to see me, but someone who is a normal player who hasn't gotten VIP or a staff rank will be able to see me.

@R4iscool1 There is also huge potential for spawn camping with this too which is something to be discouraged.

As stated in the OP, this can be activated on a TEAM BY TEAM BASIS, meaning that the spawn team will be UNAFFECTED by the change. This will only change when you are outside of spawn and on the same team (AKA you are both VIP or you are both normal players).

@Valgys The problem with it being minecraft is that many are playing without the intention of PVP. A change like this would largely benefit those very few who actively on prey on players, who would then in turn be forced to use it to protect themselves while away from their base.

I would say the use of the invisibility potion across the server would largely depend on how much the PVPers use it. Which is probably going to be a lot of use.

As much as I like the trading aspects to it, as a player I anticipate more harm than good to the server from this and would vote against it.

Invisibility potions do have drawbacks, you can see the potion particles around someone if they are invisible, the player still makes sounds while walking around, and you can't wear armor or hold items if you want to completely be invisible. They won't make too much of an impact on PVP, but they will definitely be useful. Also, this could actually even help the people looking to avoid PVP. In trouble? Chug an invisibility potion and run for your life.

8. Edited 7 years ago by SharpSerac

Since I feel like most of you missed the point of this post entirely, I'll make this really simple.

Player A is a normal player (White name)
    Player B is also a normal player
    Player C is a VIP

Player A goes invisible
    Player B can still see player A
    Player C CANNOT see player A

Basically, if you are of the same rank in-game, you can see each other if you are invisible. I want to make it so you are also invisible to players of the same rank.

And for those of you thinking it would encourage spawn camping, you can make specific teams see each other if they are invisible so if you're both in spawn you can see each other, but as soon as you go out into the wilderness you are now invisible.

9. ah yes, most of all. all 3 of them.

10. Edited 7 years ago by r4iscool1

@SharpSerac I don't think you got the point of my post. Currently if you drink an invisibility potion you are only invisible to people who are on a DIFFERENT team than you are. This means that if we are outside of spawn and I drink an invisibility potion, you won't be able to see me, but someone who is a normal player who hasn't gotten VIP or a staff rank will be able to see me.

I feel as if you didn't read my post at all. It's poor taste to accuse someone of misunderstanding something when you didn't actually read what they say.
    I am well aware how the invisibility potion works here, the tag you listed is not a new revelation, I don't think anyone was unclear on how it works either.
    Your very point admits what I'm describing is a problem, it makes it very easy to spawncamp noobs who currently as soon as they exit spawn can see you and retreat easily.

@SharpSerac As stated in the OP, this can be activated on a TEAM BY TEAM BASIS, meaning that the spawn team will be UNAFFECTED by the change. This will only change when you are outside of spawn and on the same team (AKA you are both VIP or you are both normal players).

Why is this relevant to the point I was making ?
    The point about camping and it being something that could cause more potential harm than good still stand, everyone knows it's can be set on a team basis but it's irrelevant to the points being raised.

@SharpSerac Invisibility potions do have drawbacks, you can see the potion particles around someone if they are invisible, the player still makes sounds while walking around, and you can't wear armor or hold items if you want to completely be invisible. They won't make too much of an impact on PVP, but they will definitely be useful. Also, this could actually even help the people looking to avoid PVP. In trouble? Chug an invisibility potion and run for your life.

Or we could just remove the potential advantage/disadvantage and keep everyone lives simpler ?
    I find it extremely unlikely that you would be suggesting this unless there was some potential advantage you would gain from it. Which there clearly is when you consider the camping potential.

The one place I would support enabling is in the Arena via the arena team but I don't think it would add to the Craftymynes experience outside the spawn.

I think you would be much better of describing what benefits you think disabling this gives the server as opposed to simply just describing stuff that is already common knowledge.

11. Edited 7 years ago by SharpSerac

@R4iscool1 I feel as if you didn't read my post at all.
    I am well aware how the invisibility potion works here, I don't think anyone was unclear on that.
    Your very point admits what I'm describing is a problem, it makes it very easy to spawncamp noobs who currently as soon as they exit spawn can see you and retreat easily.

Well camping spawn is already against the rules, so if people do use it to camp end or nether spawn then they are breaking the rules.

To address the rest of your response, it can't be an advantage if everyone has access to it. Also, if you want to be fully invisible you can't wear armor, so just look at where the sword is hitting you and hit them (because they would have no armor).

The developers intended the invisibility potion to make you invisible to other players, they put limitations on it so that it would not be overpowered.

The benefit would be that invisibility potions wouldn't be completely useless unlike how they are now.

12. @R4iscool1 I feel as if you didn't read my post at all. It's poor taste to accuse someone of misunderstanding something when you didn't actually read what they say.
    I am well aware how the invisibility potion works here, the tag you listed is not a new revelation, I don't think anyone was unclear on how it works either.

Why is this relevant to the point I was making ?
    The point about camping and it being something that could cause more potential harm than good still stand, everyone knows it's can be set on a team basis but it's irrelevant to the points being raised.

Or we could just remove the potential advantage/disadvantage and keep everyone lives simpler ?
    I find it extremely unlikely that you would be suggesting this unless there was some potential advantage you would gain from it. Which there clearly is when you consider the camping potential.

The one place I would support enabling is in the Arena via the arena team but I don't think it would add to the Craftymynes experience outside the spawn.

I think you would be much better of describing what benefits you think disabling this gives the server as opposed to simply just describing stuff that is already common knowledge.

A problem with one of your arguements is that I can still spawn camp whether this is on or off. Right now if I wanted to (Which I do not) I could invis pot and only VIP+'s could see me. People with white names and who are newbies would come out of spawn and not know I was there. If it were off the same thing would happen either way. Plus it IS already against the rules to do so anyways so it doesn't matter.

Also in the regular CM world it can be used to raid more effectively, so there is another use.

13. @SharpSerac Well camping spawn is already against the rules, so if people do use it to camp end or nether spawn then they are breaking the rules.

To address the rest of your response, it can't be an advantage if everyone has access to it. Also, if you want to be fully invisible you can't wear armor, so just look at where the sword is hitting you and hit them (because they would have no armor).

The developers intended the invisibility potion to make you invisible to other players, they put limitations on it so that it would not be overpowered.

The benefit would be that invisibility potions wouldn't be completely useless unlike how they are now.

That is true I was more concerned with actual spawn but there's absolutely no reason to make the job harder and encourage it either for that matter.

Then why implement it at all if it provides no advantage according to you ?

The developers intended for teams to not be able to invisible to each-other hence why it's default set to true.

Invisibility pots are far from useless, in a PVP context yes they are less useful than in certain other servers but they are a great tool for raiding monuments and End ships easily. It doesn't really make sense to claim they don't provide an advantage to those that use them and yet do add to the actual usage.

14. @OtherGreenGamer A problem with one of your arguements is that I can still spawn camp whether this is on or off. Right now if I wanted to (Which I do not) I could invis pot and only VIP+'s could see me. People with white names and who are newbies would come out of spawn and not know I was there. If it were off the same thing would happen either way. Plus it IS already against the rules to do so anyways so it doesn't matter.

Also in the regular CM world it can be used to raid more effectively, so there is another use.

That is true, however like I said there's no need to make it harder and camping the overworld spawn is actually allowed technically, it was an issue back in 1.8 with the bridges, thankfully most of it has been mitigated by RTP.

The question is more along the lines of do we want to make raiding and pvp more effective ?
    I personally do not and I feel a large contingent of the server would agree with that sentiment too.

15. @R4iscool1 The developers intended for teams to not be able to invisible to each-other hence why it's default set to true.

There are no words to describe the amount of facepalm in this quote here. Mojang created teams for team-based gamemodes that people would want to make. Seeing as how teams on this server are used only for player ranks, I think it's safe to say that survival is not a team-based gamemode and therefore you should not be allowed to see other invisible players.

@R4iscool1 That is true I was more concerned with actual spawn but there's absolutely no reason to make the job harder and encourage it either for that matter.

As stated above by @OtherGreenGamer he can camp the spawns anyways since he's VIP+. There's a ton of VIP players on this server so they could all camp the spawns.

If you meant actual overworld spawn, people could just use RTP. Besides, the amount of directions you could choose to walk outside of spawn make it unlikely that you could camp outside.

@R4iscool1 Then why implement it at all if it provides no advantage according to you ?

I said it didn't provide an advantage in a sense that one player gets the advantage while others do not. The only advantage it gives in PVP is that you can't be seen by the other players if you have no armor and are not holding an item, but even then you can still see particles.

@R4iscool1 The question is more along the lines of do we want to make raiding and pvp more effective ?
    I personally do not and I feel a large contingent of the server would agree with that sentiment too.

You'd know you're being raided if stuff in your base is being broken, and if they're completely invisible you can hit them with a sharp 5 sword and damn near 1 shot them. If you're being raided in the first place you haven't done a very good job of keeping your base a secret, therefore it would be your fault.

I have a question for you. Why are you so against PVP on this server? You seem to be against everything that encourages PVP for no apparent reason.

16. Edited 7 years ago by Blackened_Dawn

Break it up ladies, it's just a suggestion. Or it gets locked to be revised later.

17. Edited 7 years ago by r4iscool1

@SharpSerac There are no words to describe the amount of facepalm in this quote here. Mojang created teams for team-based gamemodes that people would want to make. Seeing as how teams on this server are used only for player ranks, I think it's safe to say that survival is not a team-based gamemode and therefore you should not be allowed to see other invisible players.

There is no need to get rude.
    That is completely your own opinion, so please don't state it like a fact, the wiki states its intended for Mapmakers and operators to keep track of players in myriad ways which describes our own usage quite well.
    The whole argument of what the DEV's intended is irrelevant anyway which was kinda my point.

@SharpSerac As stated above by @OtherGreenGamer he can camp the spawns anyways since he's VIP+. There's a ton of VIP players on this server so they could all camp the spawns.

If you meant actual overworld spawn, people could just use RTP. Besides, the amount of directions you could choose to walk outside of spawn make it unlikely that you could camp outside.

It really isn't that uncommon a thing to have spawncamping and there's no need to make it any easier than it currently is to hunt players but it wasn't really the main focus of the discussion either.

@SharpSerac I said it didn't provide an advantage in a sense that one player gets the advantage while others do not. The only advantage it gives in PVP is that you can't be seen by the other players if you have no armor and are not holding an item, but even then you can still see particles.

You'd know you're being raided if stuff in your base is being broken, and if they're completely invisible you can hit them with a sharp 5 sword and damn near 1 shot them. If you're being raided in the first place you haven't done a very good job of keeping your base a secret, therefore it would be your fault.

I'm going to correct that, you didn't say that, you just intended to say that which is kind of different, anyway
    If it doesn't give an advantage in PVP then why change the value from default at all ?
    It doesn't really follow.
    Personally I think the ability to sneak up on people and track them does provide an advantage in a fight and that its not something I would like to make more effective.

@SharpSerac
    I have a question for you. Why are you so against PVP on this server? You seem to be against everything that encourages PVP for no apparent reason.

I'm not against PVP, I'm against what you consider to be PVP which seems to be fighting anyone and everything for the edgyness of it as opposed to fighting those who wish to for the sake of actual PVP, you can play how you like of course but that doesn't mean the server has to change for you.
    Once again I question how this would benefit pvp on the server if it doesn't provide an advantage according to you either.

18. @R4iscool1 There is no need to get rude.
    That is completely your own opinion, so please don't state it like a fact, the wiki states its intended for Mapmakers and operators to keep track of players in myriad ways which describes our own usage quite well.
    The whole argument of what the DEV's intended is irrelevant anyway which was kinda my point.

You can already keep track of players by using spectator mode. If I were to go invisible I'd be invisible to everyone but normal players, so this argument you made is invalid.

@R4iscool1 I'm going to correct that, you didn't say that, you just intended to say that which is kind of different, anyway
    If it doesn't give an advantage in PVP then why change the value from default at all ?
    It doesn't really follow.
    Personally I think the ability to sneak up on people and track them does provide an advantage in a fight and that its not something I would like to make more effective.

Even though it doesn't give you an advantage in PVP, I would like invisibility potions to have an actual use, because right now they're useless, wouldn't you agree? Not everything about the invisibility potion has to do with PVP. In fact, it can be used to avoid PVP altogether, you should want invisibility potions to be fixed.

@R4iscool1 I'm not against PVP, I'm against what you consider to be PVP which seems to be fighting anyone and everything for the edgyness of it as opposed to fighting those who wish to for the sake of actual PVP, you can play how you like of course but that doesn't mean the server has to change for you.
    Once again I question how this would benefit pvp on the server if it doesn't provide an advantage according to you either.

I don't think I was the one who made this about PVP, but I definitely wouldn't use them for PVP. Player vs player means just that. You're able to fight whoever you want, when you want to. We don't do it for edginess, we do it because it's fun and exciting. I'm even suggesting an option to legitimately get away from a PVP situation without logging. My original post didn't even mention PVP, I like being sneaky and I want to be invisible, why is this such a problem?

19. I don't really get at what you are trying to say in the first segment, the point was that what you or I or anyone else suppose the devs intended isnt all that relevant. How does what you said invalidate that 9
    It's normal players that I'd be concerned about anyway is its far from irrelevant, that they can see you. The very fact you don't want them to be able to see you shows the advantages it can provide and precisely how relevant it is.

Invisibility pot is far from useless, like I said it's a great way to raid dungeons, monuments and end ships without getting detected by mobs.
    They aren't as useful as they could be but that applies to many of the rarely used potions to.
    Well surely the opposite should apply then since your team seems to be the one that complains the most about logging and people running away then surely you should support keeping it harder to escape?

Just imagine the teaming potential too, player 1 enters arena and fights an opponent then while he's distracted partners can equip armour and fight.

I think this is a problem because people don't want to be sneaked upon?

20. @Blackened_Dawn Break it up ladies, it's just a suggestion. Or it gets locked to be revised later.

* David Attenborough narration voice*

The Beast attempts to settle a despute but fails. Will she return to finish her job?

21. Newer ›

or Sign Up to reply!