Absolutely No Hostile Mobs Spawning

1. 7 years ago

I'm about 70k out from spawn. I am simply trying to fight some mobs during the night, and I go into a completely torchless area to do so. I've gone several consecutive nights so far with zero hostile mobs spawning the entire duration of the night. Is there a bug? Is it lag? What is causing such an occurrence, and how do I get around it?

2. if i had to wager a guess, its an equation of people/area coupled with caves and tunnels underneath you vs how many mobs will be near a person at any given time.

I know its not a good guess, but factor in the %chance for a mob to spawn in any lvl 7 light per area per tick, and it can be pretty slow sometimes.

3. Edited 7 years ago by 2Chill

Yes me and gibsonaxe noticed this new seemingly shit spawn rates right after the 1.11 (oldmap) update , my dark room tiled farm literally stopped working after it and gibson experienced same thing basically..

4. When I random tp'd to find some creepers the whole land was still and peaceful like I could afk within 4k of spawn

5. Edited 7 years ago by TheBlizWiz

Ok guys here is some (Pseudo) Minecraft Code for ya

The game saves something called 'Local Difficulty'

TLDR The longer you stay in a specific area, the more mobs spawn. You can view this in F3. IE when you first come to an area, not much will spawn. After more than 50 hours in one area, the difficulty will suddenly begin to rise quickly.

To quote the Minecraft Wiki:

The “inhabited time" of a chunk increases for each tick a player spends with the chunk loaded. This is a cumulative measure of time—if 50 players spend a single hour in a chunk, it counts the same as if one player spent 50 hours there. The effect of inhabited time on regional difficulty is capped at 50 hours.

Total play time in the world also contributes to regional difficulty. This effect doesn't begin until after the first hour of play time and is capped at 21 hours.

TotalTimeFactor, ChunkFactor, and RegionalDifficulty are floating-point variables
    MoonPhase is as in the table above.

if ( TotalPlayTime > 21 hours )
         TotalTimeFactor = 0.25
     else if ( TotalPlayTime < 1 hour )
         TotalTimeFactor = 0
     else
         TotalTimeFactor = ( TotalPlayTimeInTicks - 72,000 ) / 5,760,000

if ( ChunkInhabitedTime > 50 hours )
         ChunkFactor = 1
     else
         ChunkFactor = ChunkInhabitedTimeInTicks / 3,600,000
     if (difficulty is not Hard)
         multiply ChunkFactor by 3/4

if ( MoonPhase / 4 > TotalTimeFactor )
         add TotalTimeFactor to ChunkFactor
     else
         add MoonPhase / 4 to ChunkFactor

if ( difficulty is Easy )
         divide ChunkFactor by 2

RegionalDifficulty = 0.75 + TotalTimeFactor + ChunkFactor

if (difficulty is Normal)
         multiply RegionalDifficulty by 2
     if (difficulty is Hard)
         multiply RegionalDifficulty by 3

return RegionalDifficulty
  6. Edited 7 years ago by T0rsion

I've noticed the same thing.

I've also noticed an increase in the server's population of players at any given time.

I've been mining iron to make 192 hoppers for an auto smelter, I can search caves without a single torch and only find 3-4 mobs, and this is at a cave that I found almost 9 stacks of iron ore in (so it's huge)

Players have a very heavy influence on spawn rates, I know this because I live in the end, and when others are in the end my enderman grinder gets OK spawn rates when I'm alone, decent spawn rates with an alt, and incredible spawn rates with 3+ people.

In the overworld I have to run around the 10k area for most of the night before coming across a single hostile mob.

7. Isn't this a good thing? Now we don't have to worry about dying to hostile mobs!

8. @iwarriiori Isn't this a good thing? Now we don't have to worry about dying to hostile mobs!

it affects mob drops prices which make business for them to drive up. Minecraft economies suck ass

9. I noticed the same thing too when I was mining earlier.

10. @iwarriiori Isn't this a good thing? Now we don't have to worry about dying to hostile mobs!

It is a good thing to those who are trying to avoid hostile mobs.

However to those who are actively hunting them (I hunt creepers for gunpowder for example) It is a pain to try and find them when they are spawning sparsely.

Also people who are grinding mobs for XP or for mass loot it is a pain.

11. yeah im trying to convert some villagers, but it doesnt help if no zomboids spawn :/. I wonder if this is something the server peeps are looking into to potentially correct?

12. @Azarieth yeah im trying to convert some villagers, but it doesnt help if no zomboids spawn :/. I wonder if this is something the server peeps are looking into to potentially correct?

Working with multiple people and using Alts help increase spawn rates, also try to kill any entities around you so that more of what mob your looking for can spawn.
    Get online when the server population is low, that also helps.

13. The increase in players is probably because it's winter break, more people are off school/work. I find that waiting until after a restart will get you monsters in no time.

or Sign Up to reply!