Shop Question

1. 6 years ago

Hey all.

For quite a while I've wanted to start up a (small) shop, but have been busy with other things. If/when I make one, I woukd like it to be specialized in one or a few certain items, rather than the larger shops like the Swag Shop, House of Color, etc. A specialized shop like I have in mind would be better than the larger shops in terms of pricing and production of certain items, but would not have anywhere near the varity that the big shops do. Think of it in real life terms: the big shops are Walmart, I want to make a GameStop. Walmart has much more items to chose from, while GameStop would be the better place to buy videogames.

My question is this: what items would you like to see in a specialized shop like this? Crops, ores like diamonds, elytra, building blocks, etc? I'd appreciate any suggestions!

2. Sandstone

3. Sandstone, all types and red sand and red sandstone. No one is doing large quantities of this at especially the red sand and sandstone.

4. Quartz, sandstone, purpur, and other harder to get building blocks would be ideal.

5. Brick

6. Ironically enough, I was actually planning on opening something like this, probably would look stupid if I tried to open a shop of this nature now.

7. If you want your shop to do well without much hassle, look at selling things that other people aren't in their shops - even if it's just common blocks like dirt / sand in large qty. You'd be amazed what people will buy once you say you have it for sale, lol.

As soon as you start selling something that other people are, you need to consistently stay competitive in terms of pricing / availability, and it can be quite a headache. If you maintain a (mostly) unique inventory, you'll have a much easier time.

That being said, if you want to get into selling blocks, I'd take a look at what Humfry has available, and try to fill in the blanks with what he doesn't offer. It gives people a reason to shop specifically with you. If you do want to sell what he sells you'll need to make sure your pricing is competitive, or else offer other incentives like giveaways, reduced bulk pricing, etc.

Do some looking around at other current running shops before you make yours to get a good Idea for pricing and formatting ( You could just steal my formatting like 20 other shops did back in 1.9, lol )

8. As someone who has run multiple successful shops, my advice is to specialize in consumable items in bulk. For instance, at one point I was selling over 5 dubs of blaze rods a week, and that's all I sold. Things like blaze rods, netherwart, gunpowder(although this is a bit harder to farm), bones, etc are all good things to start off selling and when you get the hang of it, you could start adding other things like blocks or anything else. Just try to think of things every player at one point will probably need. Keep your prices low and do sales often and you'll get a loyal customer base.

9. SELL NN SHIELDS

10. SELL NN COORDS

11. SELL NN HEADS

Oh wait I made this thread

or Sign Up to reply!