Mob Griefing and Fire Spreading

1. ‹ Older
  2. 7 years ago

@ardoasms if there is enough interest from staff and players, couldnt crafty just set up a server thats bare bones, tp from spawn, and have spawn protected by proper lighting and a wall thats got an iron door every now and then for if people want to walk out plus the gamemode change like the main server has

ardo it would take to long to set up and he doesnt have enough time to do that stuff and possibly the right equipment to set another server up

3. @ghostassasin81 ardo it would take to long to set up and he doesnt have enough time to do that stuff and possibly the right equipment to set another server up

from what i understand they can run more servers on this hardware than they do, they have run 2 servers in the past from this hardware. (legacy server). Heck they may be running more than 2 already (ive seen crafty talking about a development server before).

4. @ardoasms from what i understand they can run more servers on this hardware than they do, they have run 2 servers in the past from this hardware. (legacy server). Heck they may be running more than 2 already (ive seen crafty talking about a development server before).

well like i said it will also take time if he did do another seeing how the legacy server was a server already but if your idea happened he would have to redo a lot of different things for this to happen

5. Edited 7 years ago by r4iscool1

@ardoasms from what i understand they can run more servers on this hardware than they do, they have run 2 servers in the past from this hardware. (legacy server). Heck they may be running more than 2 already (ive seen crafty talking about a development server before).

Theoretically it's true since Minecraft doesn't take advantage of multiple threads, we should be able to run one with no impact on performance however as we saw with the legacy server which suffered from lag issues that appears to not be the case. Even barebone's Vanilla struggles above 20 players.
    Administration is a problem as well a big one, we don't really have enough trained staff to cover two servers.
    Finally we'd pretty much be competing with a number of other similar servers.}}

Those seem to be the issues with it, assuming there is even enough interest.

The idea has merit but I don't think it's suitable at this moment of time, we aren't ready to expand imo.

6. @R4iscool1 Theoretically it's true since Minecraft doesn't take advantage of multiple threads, we should be able to run one with no impact on performance however as we saw with the legacy server which suffered from lag issues that appears to not be the case. Even barebone's Vanilla struggles above 20 players.
    Administration is a problem as well a big one, we don't really have enough trained staff to cover two servers.
    Finally we'd pretty much be competing with a number of other similar servers.}}

Those seem to be the issues with it, assuming there is even enough interest.

so im right from a certain point of view?

7. @_Drachenzorn_ I really want to hear now Crafty's opinion...

I agree...

8. Edited 7 years ago by r4iscool1

@ghostassasin81 so im right from a certain point of view?

Define "right"

I mean the idea has good sides but I just don't think any idea that involves multiple servers is particularly realistic at this point in time, in the future maybe but for now I think we would be spreading ourselves to thin among other things.
    Its the administration that would concern me more in this case, than the technical issues.

9. @Cileklim I agree...

Give him time, the issue has been discussed in staff chat and Crafty is kinda busy at the moment.

10. @R4iscool1 Give him time, the issue has been discussed in staff chat and Crafty is kinda busy at the moment.

Do you mind if I ask what staff thinks about this suggestion?

11. Edited 7 years ago by r4iscool1

@Cileklim Do you mind if I ask what staff thinks about this suggestion?

I can't speak for all the staff nor can I really discuss what is said in the chat.
    It has however been discussed here far more comprehensively and in length.

12. @FishW There is another server owned by a "keyboard layout"(Crafty might get that idk, I hope no one else does, I really don't mean to advertise) which claims "100% vanilla"

I know who you are talking about, he used to love command blocks but one day he completely turned 180 and said command blocks weren't vanilla.

13. Is there a way to only enable mob greifing outside 1000k, and preserve the nice looking spawn?

14. @TheMightyDrex No, The mobGriefing gamerule is a global gamerule. I suppose with some panel magic every restart you could reset the chunks around spawn keeping the walk out (If you choose to walk) looking nice.

15. @ItsJamieee reset the chunks around spawn

I am adding that with the shape of the spawn etc it may not be feasible with the chunk resets every restart on this server

16. Edited 7 years ago by CraftyMyner

My 2Cents

Ok, it's about time that I weigh in on this discussion. It's clear that many players want mob griefing enabled, arguing the point that it's not original vanilla and that any cons are not a big deal. I have seen that it has gone back and forth, there has been talk about making an anarchy server and talk about other game rules.

Fire Spread

I can 100% say that doFireTick will not be turned back on, it causes too much lag and many blocks in spawn (like the furnace or end spawn) would catch on fire.

Other Game Rules

We won't be discussing any other game rules in this thread, this is about mobGriefing only. I have no plans to touch any other game rules. Random tick speed causes way to much lag and having no daylight or weather cycle takes too much away from the game. While I hear players ask about keep inventory all the time, I don't think it makes any sense to have on a PVP enabled server.

Second Server

I could run more servers, I have done it before, but it takes time and the staff to make it work. Currently I fear I don't have enough time to make anything more then a plain server with no extra bells and whistles. I also fear that the amount of staff on each server would become unbalanced and cause one server to get neglected.

Mob Griefing

This is what we're all here for, mobGriefing. From a player's perspective it's easy to say "just run /gamerule mobGriefing true, it can't be that hard". From a command block perspective it's easy to say, "just make a thing that kills the ones close to spawn or change their explosion range to nothing". As a server owner, you must think about the bigger picture. Think about the staff that are cleaning, it's hard enough to keep the spawn looking half way decent. Think about all the mobs that can all of a sudden modify blocks each in their own unique way.

• Creepers
    • Zombies
    • Endermen
    • Ghasts
    • Withers
    • Ender Dragon
    • Rabbits
    • Sheep
    • Villagers

The ender dragon is the next big thing to think about, it can destroy all blocks that the end spawn is made out of. What am I suppose to do about that, make it so the ender dragon can't spawn (tell me thats not taking away a huge part of vanilla). Ghasts can light the nether spawn on fire. Players can create perfect villagers quickly creating an OP economy. The list goes on and on. The lag caused from all the edge case command blocks protecting this and that, killing mobs and setting creepers to not explode, would be huge.

Unlike plugin servers mobGriefing is either true or false, there is nothing in between, you can't set it for only certain dimensions or areas. The amount vulnerabilities that players might use to cause havoc increases immensely. You might think that you have all your bases covered but it could change in a heartbeat.

Conclusion

Now you can see my reasoning behind disabling mob griefing, as a server owner it's easier to just disable it then to struggle through all the con's. As a few people have stated (Thanks 2Chill) I'm an open guy, I like to take the communities opinion into consideration. It just doesn't make sense to disable a feature that 99% of the community wants. However, it's not 99% it's only 57% the last time I checked that poll (player generated, unofficial, susceptible to vpn manipulation). I would rather not go through the trouble of enabling mob griefing for 57% of the community when I would also piss off 43% of the community, it just doesn't make sense to me.

I plan to come up with a better poll method, maybe one using your username on the forum or ingame to get a better result. Until then, I don't think I'm going to change anything.

- Crafty

17. @CraftyMyner
    Very well said with some very crafty technical info , understood .
    (np big cheese)

18. Edited 7 years ago by _Drachenzorn_

@CraftyMyner

My 2Cents

... Think about all the mobs that can all of a sudden modify blocks each in their own unique way.

• Creepers
    • Zombies
    • Endermen
    • Ghasts
    • Withers
    • Ender Dragon
    • Rabbits
    • Sheep
    • Villagers

Thanks Crafty for sharing your opinion on this matter. I would also like to express my appreciation for clearly expressing your view from the command block/owner perspective. Though I can say that there is not yet a definitive answer from your post, I know you are leaning to the decision to just leave the mob griefing setting to its current state.

But Ill be repetitive to highlight my argument when I started this thread, from my perspective as a player (Im not saying for the whole player community), this is what Im missing, those mobs interaction/ AI that are removed because of the mobgriefing = false settings. This decreases the PVE element of the game. And as an end game player Im trying to squiz all that this server can still offer me.

And yeah maintaining the spawn area is really important to attract and be competitive especially for new players. But IMO once the player leave the spawn and create his own base and home, he will care less of the spawn area and more of his own "survival" gameplay. Again these are all my opinion as a player. And I would like to reiterate that I really appreciate what the staff are doing maintaining the spawn area and the server.

19. I really hope these changes won't happen cuz creepers already suck butt, and with mob griefing on, it's even worse. :P

20. @OpticImpulse I really hope these changes won't happen cuz creepers already suck butt, and with mob griefing on, it's even worse. :P

lol nub(dont look at ma 500 deahts)

21. I agree with Crafty... it would open up too many vulnerabilities... players could use mobs such as creepers, withers, ender dragons, etc to try and wreck spawn, and they would succeed if given enough time... while mobs can't actually destroy command blocks they could wreck repeaters, comparators, etc... RIP server.
    You could kill dangerous mobs within a certain range of spawn... but more commands = more lag

or Sign Up to reply!