Completely ludicrous idea that I came up with while browsing EAS sounds

1. ‹ Older
  2. 6 years ago

Yea

3. the commands needed to implement such a feature would be absurdly complicated, and there would have to be dozens written from scratch, since I've never personally seen something that shows coordinates like that. You would also have to implement an icon for their dimension as well, which would be another step on top of that.

4. I think it would be very hard to do with command blocks, plus I don’t think everyone would enjoy it. As well it would take away playing time from those with busy schedules if they were to not want to participate. It’s a cool idea, but I don’t think it would be the best for the server. However it’s a great idea for a server of its own.

5. Edited 6 years ago by SharpSerac

everyone who thinks this is difficult to do with command blocks is wrong, i could make something like this in just a few hours honestly, they just don't know how commands/command blocks work

6. Everyone will just log end of story no name no coords just saying !

7. Edited 6 years ago by r4iscool1

@SharpSerac everyone who thinks this is difficult to do with command blocks is wrong, i could make something like this in just a few hours honestly, they just don't know how commands/command blocks work

Given that you don't actually know how the panel interfaces with the command blocks. (It's not just a command block room, there is far more to it than that)I doubt it.

However I'm sure it's possible to do on CM but I can't see any real reason to do such a thing, which I believe the majority of the playerbase would not enjoy or appreciate.

8. @R4iscool1 However I'm sure it's possible to do on CM but I can't see any real reason to do such a thing, which I believe the majority of the playerbase would not enjoy or appreciate.

True, and even if this did happen and you knew where people were, they could just use invis potion and you wouldn't be able to find them.

9. Edited 6 years ago by SharpSerac

@R4iscool1 Given that you don't actually know how the panel interfaces with the command blocks. (It's not just a command block room, there is far more to it than that)I doubt it.

However I'm sure it's possible to do on CM but I can't see any real reason to do such a thing, which I believe the majority of the playerbase would not enjoy or appreciate.

damn you love replying to the things i say. how hard could it be really, he has some script running that interacts with the console and reads chat and enters commands in response. your "doubt" is baseless, since you don't have the knowledge about my knowledge.

also, just because you yourself don't have the knowledge to do something like this doesn't mean that i don't

10. Thank you I do enjoy commenting on the forums and I wish more on the server did so too.
    It's not just "some script" the panel handles the majority of the server work and is core to its functionality, things like homes and everything is handled by it. It's a huge project frankly and I do know that you don't know about it since Crafty is the only one working on it. Sure the concept is simple but it's a massive project which you cannot understand without reading the code.

I'm not saying it would be hard to do either just that you can't as you claimed, was kind of hypocritical to claim people have lack of knowledge without acknowledging your own.

11. @R4iscool1 Thank you I do enjoy commenting on the forums and I wish more on the server did so too.
    It's not just "some script" the panel handles the majority of the server work and is core to its functionality, things like homes and everything is handled by it. It's a huge project frankly and I do know that you don't know about it since Crafty is the only one working on it. Sure the concept is simple but it's a massive project which you cannot understand without reading the code.

I'm not saying it would be hard to do either just that you can't as you claimed, was kind of hypocritical to claim people have lack of knowledge without acknowledging your own.

i'm just calling it how it is, you reply to basically everything i say almost always trying to prove me wrong. also that's what the panel is, it's a script that interacts with a completely separate program independently and automates tasks that would otherwise be done by a human, don't know why you got upset at my usage of the word, bucko shmucko¯\_(ツ)_/¯

i don't know exactly what the code he is wrote but i could probably recreate the whole thing in not too long, i'm saying i would have the ability to implement something like this and you were claiming that i don't which is dumb xd

12. Edited 6 years ago by r4iscool1

@SharpSerac i'm just calling it how it is, you reply to basically everything i say almost always trying to prove me wrong. also that's what the panel is, it's a script that interacts with a completely separate program independently and automates tasks that would otherwise be done by a human, don't know why you got upset at my usage of the word, bucko shmucko¯\_(ツ)_/¯

i don't know exactly what the code he is wrote but i could probably recreate the whole thing in not too long, i'm saying i would have the ability to implement something like this and you were claiming that i don't which is dumb xd

I reply to nearly all suggestion threads, multiple times too. So if you post in suggestion threads a lot you will get replied too a bit. I don't think I responded more than once or twice

A script is a piece of code that is executed by another program to achieve a result, the panel is a completely separate program which runs on its own making it a program. It's almost 60,000 lines long.

You can replicate 60,000 lines of code in not too long ?
    Well you must be a very rich man then, I don't think it's dumb to doubt that however as I think it's pretty clear you don't have the knowledge of how the server operates or even how to create a basic panel.
    It's not a script, it's a serious piece of work.

13. Edited 6 years ago by SharpSerac

@R4iscool1 I reply to nearly all suggestion threads, multiple times too. So if you post in suggestion threads a lot you will get replied too a bit. I don't think I responded more than once or twice

A script is a piece of code that is executed by another program to achieve a result, the panel is a completely separate program which runs on its own making it a program. It's almost 60,000 lines long.

You can replicate 60,000 lines of code in not too long ?
    Well you must be a very rich man then, I don't think it's dumb to doubt that however as I think it's pretty clear you don't have the knowledge of how the server operates or even how to create a basic panel.
    It's not a script, it's a serious piece of work.

you didn't address the fact that you're always trying to prove me wrong lmao

i'd say that what the server does is classified as a script. 60,000 lines of code? seems a bit excessive for something that reads a console and responds. did crafty himself tell you or do you have something to back that up? (i'm going to assume the usual "i don't have to prove anything to you" or "we won't reveal private information about the server" response)

"A scripting or script language is a programming language that supports scripts: programs written for a special run-time environment that automate the execution of tasks that could alternatively be executed one-by-one by a human operator." https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scripting_language

14. Edited 6 years ago by HaloNest

60.000 code lines?
    That's massive dude!

Those lines gotta be pretty small

15. 57k lines, there is much more than just the panel. There is quite a few separate programs that handle stuff like donations/ranks, server ai, backups and ban managing/staff/forum. The panel is an interfacing program for mincraft and all the services I have created. It also has extensions that I have created to do stuff like votifier, head drops, lottery, and vote streak rewards. The panel is not just for craftymynes and contains code for UI, file management, cross compatibility and extensions for other servers. It is written in a language that doesn't contain many pre built classes and library's, therefore I have to code everything myself. The 57k lines does contain white space and computer generated UI code. It has been a project of mine for about 3 years.

A good coder working 40 hours a week with a bunch of js libraries could make something functionally and ethsticaly similar in not too much time but it would still lack a lot of the benefited of the environment I use to program in and the years of incremental improvements and performance/bug fixes.

16. When I think of the word script, I think of a small flat program with very little logic, rather than a program with complex logic and large object structure. In essence, some parts of the panel could just be small scripts but the craftymynes system as a whole is a lot more.

17. Instead of having a hunger games-esque area, could there be a few other themed pvp arenas be added? the platform above the main arena could have pressure plates that teleport players to alternate arenas for different battles, each one suited for different play styles

18. How did this get so big?

Here's my 2 cents:

Would this be possible?

Almost indefinitely yes.

Is this necessary?

No, not at all.

Would this drive players away and make the server stray miles away from regular vanilla gameplay?

Yep.

What if it was on another server?

Debatable, but will probably die when the glamour wears off.

What about on the regular server?

More lag, Drive players away, Becomes raiding/pvp server, No longer anything like Minecraft with no command blocks.

OK, but how about arenas?!

More lag, less mob spawns, economy takes another hit because of mobs.

Is this gonna happen?1!!!/?/1!?//1!?

Almost indefinitely no.

Why is this even debatable?

I have no clue.

19. cause everything is debatable :P

20. Edited 6 years ago by r4iscool1

@SharpSerac you didn't address the fact that you're always trying to prove me wrong lmao

I'm sorry you think I'm trying to prove you wrong all the time but I'm not going to stop correcting incorrect things because you ask.

@SharpSerac i'd say that what the server does is classified as a script. 60,000 lines of code? seems a bit excessive for something that reads a console and responds. did crafty himself tell you or do you have something to back that up? (i'm going to assume the usual "i don't have to prove anything to you" or "we won't reveal private information about the server" response)

Well you'd be wrong for classifying it as a script, as I explained scripts run within a program not outside one like a program.
    Nor is it a tiny thing as crafty said below its a huge project.
    Classifying it as a script just shows a lack of understanding of what a script is, countering your claim of knowing.

@SharpSerac
    "A scripting or script language is a programming language that supports scripts: programs written for a special run-time environment that automate the execution of tasks that could alternatively be executed one-by-one by a human operator."

" rel="nofollow external">https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scripting_language[/quote]

Yes that definition actually backs what I said, a special run time environment is referring to within a standalone program as opposed to the operating systems routine environment like a standalone program. It's quite a big distinction, scripts carry out routine tasks using the programs own features as opposed to their own.

21. If your coordinates are confiscated then there is no point in participating, people's locations are not listed during the movie purge for everyone to see.

Also if this is during a set time people would just leave except for new players/people who aren't informed.

If the CM panel doesn't run anything that it completely vital to the server being online, disable the panel for a few hours.

or Sign Up to reply!