Excessive Lag continues,Why?

1. 8 years ago

Ok lets talk about the Elephant in the room that isn't being fixed. Excessive lag has been and continues to be a HUGE problem. I am experiencing lag with as few as 20 players online, and at full capacity mining or building is near impossible. A fix needs to be implemented ASAP. The new server is nearly unplayable and very frustrating. I have heard excuse after excuse yet the problem persists. I love this server and want to keep playing but not like this. With mobs its like slow motion, or hits don't count do to lag, its making the game miserable.

I suggest a better server to host the site, other sites are experiencing way less lag and huge number of players.
    I no longer accept the " Its Vanilla" excuse. I could see that on 1.89 but since 1.9 its 100 times worse.

I would be willing to pay a small monthly fee to play without lag if cost is the issue, but please do something.

2. Edited 8 years ago by Mayorga

humfry , Or maybe try getting opifine when its released for 1.9 :P

3. Edited 8 years ago by Cellexya

1.9 just came out and a patch will come soon to fix their shit at least a bit, so just be patient.
    Also to note the amount of players on the server, if you play during high traffic, expect it to be bad.

4. @cookiestepdog humfry , Or maybe try getting opifine when its released for 1.9 :P

Optifine for 1.9 is available now.

5. It's not really an elephant in the room, every time I get the chance I repeat the same things over and over again nobody listens at all, resulting this stupid kind of thread.

I will say it again, repeating myself;

Mojang rushed the last 2 months of production of 1.9, so there's a lot of issues with it;
    Entities over spawning, invisible players, floating players, players that get kicked for flying for being on a horse or a boat, texture glitches, frost walker causing more lag, and so on and so forth, coupled with Mojang's complete disregard for anything that's Vanilla related (and lack of coding skills), and along with the data center issues, it's no wonder that we have a lot of lag.
    All we can really so is wait for, yet again, another goddamn update, and the server upgrade we'll be getting coming April, which was announced when 1.9 was released.

Does that answer your question?

6. tsu

29 Mar 2016 Suspended

its unplayable lol

7. Have we tried downloading more ram from downloadmoreram.com ? that might fix the problem

8. @iwarriiori Have we tried downloading more ram from downloadmoreram.com ? that might fix the problem

Always.

9. Edited 8 years ago by CraftyMyner

Its really hard to blame our host for the lag, this is the same server that allowed us to run 88 players on 1.8 with little to no lag (until our map got huge). We have the best single threaded performance that money can buy, a i7 4790k @ 4.7 ghz, 32gb 1866mhz ram, 250gb 850 evo SSD, 1gbps network. Other servers running this exact machine but with spigot have proven to run 600+ players on the same server (no bungee/proxy). Apples to Apples, same machine, the only thing different is the server jar file, even if there is something we are doing wrong, a difference of 550 players is huge. Vanilla is just not cut out to run this many players.

The reason 1.9 is "100 times worse" and the reason it could lag more with half as many players is because of this issue: https://bugs.mojang.com/browse/MC-98822 and this one https://bugs.mojang.com/browse/MC-94438

Essentially, entities do not cause lag in a linear fashion, they are exponential.
    Let's play with some numbers...

His results:
    512 : 82 FPS ; Very few lag.
    1024 : 2 FPS ; Unplayable, I can't even see the top of the debug pie.
    2048 or higher : Minecraft crash, so I can't even take a screenshot.

let's say everyone was able to keep to a 100 entity limit cap and we had 50 players on, that's 5000 entities, over double what it took to make his minecraft crash, it's a miracle that we are even able to run with more then 5 players.

You say that other servers have a huge number of players yet don't have this much lag.

#1. As far as I know, we have the most players out of any Vanilla server, so unless you are talking about none spigot servers, this is a completely unfair comparison.

#2. Most vanilla servers have had to drop their render distance to deal with the lag, some even going as as low as they can go (3 chunk render distance). If you want horse blinders then 3 chunk render distance is for you.

#3. I hear non-stop complaints about lag from other vanilla servers all the time, 1.9 has really made a mess.

Ok Crafty, now that I know we are fucked, what are you going to do about it?

Hopefully mojang will be releasing 1.9.1 soon that will come with a patch for the entity issue, they already have some pre-releases, but they haven't fixed it yet.

To fix the network issues we are moving data centers and at the same time we will be upgrading to a 6700k also at 4.7ghz, hopefully this will give us about 3% more power, and with the new way I hope to setup the server maybe even more.

Until this happens, all we can do is watch our entities, all it takes is one inconsiderate player to let their mob grinder get away from them and the server is brought to its knees.

Other solutions are decreasing our render distance, but i doubt that players would want this as we are already close to the minimum possible value.

Money wise, I did go all out on this new server, I made sure it had extra SSD and HD storage so that we don't have to waste performance writing backups to a different, slower hard drive. Knowing we had the money and donors to do this is what allows me to not compromise performance for money.

- Crafty

10. Edited 8 years ago by ShapedSundew9

Looking at the JIRAs https://bugs.mojang.com/browse/MC-94438 seems to be the one with the momentum but even that one has a fix version in the past.

There are about 3000 open issues with public visibility. The good news is this one is one of about 300 that is actually assigned.

It is about 14th on the most popular issues list. https://bugs.mojang.com/browse/MC?selectedTab=com.atlassian.jira.plugin.system.project%3Apopularissues-panel

If we want Mojang to spend time on this we need to put it in thier face. It is all about visibility. Who ever is managing this is probably only looking at the top 5, maybe 10, issues each week.b

I would suggest everyone we an muster (and Crafty I would include other Vanilla server friends you have in that) go and create a Mojang JIRA account https://bugs.mojang.com/secure/Signup!default.jspa and then vote for the issue (which is just a link on the right-hand side of the issue page). Signing up is trivial, no personal details needed other than an email address.

11. @Shapedsundew9 If we want Mojang to spend time on this we need to put it in thier face. It is all about visibility. Who ever is managing this is probably only looking at the top 5, maybe 10, issues each week.b

Yes, we need votes on this, a long time ago I created a hack (sign hack) and kept it as a private bug report. Said bug report was not even looked at for about 2 months, by this point I had already been able to "fix" it on my end by making it impossible for players to op themselfs.

About 3 weeks later, wurst came out with the hack and spigot, bukkit, vanilla, all servers were affected, spigot was patched very quickly but it took almost another month for vanilla to even touch the issue. Servers were getting destroyed left right and center.

12. I find it funny how all server types are being fixed except Vanilla.

This is just from what I've noticed and that's really unfair towards Vanilla.

13. I think what is more funny is the features that come to vanilla are almost always a shitty version of a plugin that had been made like a year before. Pistons, Hoppers (buildcraft/tekkit pipes), end island, the list goes on, the funny thing is that spigot 1.9 released the same week as vanilla 1.9, removing any early access benefit to using vanilla. I think it's safe to say that vanilla is just getting royally f**ked.

14. Doge, I agree, that's simply how it is though, vanilla has the least players.
    We're the top server and we have ~70 at peak times, add all the other servers together and the whole vanilla community probably never has more than 300 people, compared to the genuine hundreds of thousands on other types of servers.
    It's whatever will make mojang the most money really.

15. That's the thing, mojang doesn't make money off servers, especially vanilla servers. They sell the features and a shitty client, then the community cleans up their shit and makes a server that can handle more then 3 players as well as mods and youtube videos.

16. @pand1024 Optifine for 1.9 is available now.

Oh

17. https://bugs.mojang.com/browse/MC-94438
    is 13th on the list today with 165 votes 1 more than 14th and 4 less than 12th
    17 votes would get us 8th on the list

It then gets tough. 7th is about another 30 votes, 1st 600 more...
    5th would need another 120 votes.

We must have 17 votes on this server from staff & regular players...come on guys. I do this stuff day in and day out - I would not be allocating resource to bug #14.

At the end of the day it may make no difference but then again it may...its the only thing we can do and better than just whining about it.

18. Since entities are the problem, would having a regular ground entity clear help? The warning would need to go up in my mind though.

19. So now that the server is upgraded I can't use optifine again :_

20. True.

21. Newer ›

or Sign Up to reply!