1. 6 years ago

it does nothing for the server, items on their own have a 5 minute despawn timer so removing them forcibly every hour does little to no good for the server, plus out of nowhere you can lose valuables if you aren't paying attention to the chat

before you reply to this thread, think of how you can prove that it helps the server (protip, only crafty can)

2. You do realize that this item clear helps reduce lag on the server, and that you get multiple warnings of when it happens before it happens?

3. Edited 6 years ago by CactusOwnage

He's just triggered that he lost "some" stuff ;)

4. Edited 6 years ago by SharpSerac

@BoneChi11er You do realize that this item clear helps reduce lag on the server, and that you get multiple warnings of when it happens before it happens?

you make a claim, i do not see a reason as to how it helps reduce lag on the server. as i have previously stated, items on their own despawn after 5 minutes, so why would an item clear that is ONCE AN HOUR help the server? right after the clear the item count probably go right back up anyways

i would also like to add that the warning is in the chat, people may have chat turned off or they may not look at chat that often. this portion of your argument is invalid

it would also be useful for you to know that you should read the entire post before responding, it does work wonders you know because i quite specifically said, and i quote:

@SharpSerac before you reply to this thread, think of how you can prove that it helps the server (protip, only crafty can)

you failed the one and only criteria, which is prove that it has an effect on the server. better luck next time bonebro

@CactusOwnage He's just triggered that he lost "some" stuff ;)

ur bad kid

5. Edited 6 years ago by SharpSerac

here is a hypothetical situation to represent the craftymynes server:

a perfect world where no surrounding chunks have to be loaded, on a single block an item is spawned every minute

after 5 minutes, 5 items will have spawned. this is the max amount of items this contained system allows for, this is its equilibrium point

let's say every 15 minutes all items magically disappear, hooray!

except, in exactly 5 minutes, the world will be back to 5 items, and equilibrium will be achieved again

it is safe to say that in this system, the clear would be negligible to the performance of the server, especially since the equilibrium point will have been reached relatively fast after the item clear. this is most likely what happens on craftymynes, just with a lot more items, and a slower item clear (items still despawn after 5 minutes)

6. Edited 6 years ago by CraftyMyner

It does a lot more than just clear items, it also kills packed up guardians, skellies, squid and other mobs like the ones in this picture -image-

While it is true that items are supposed to despawn in 5 minutes, the reality is they don't, because the server can run as slow as half speed with lag, it can be 10-15 minutes before an item could despawn. The "item" part of the clear really doesn't do much, its just one attempt at lessening the lag on the server.

7. @CraftyMyner It does a lot more than just clear items, it also kills packed up guardians, skellies, squid and other mobs like the ones in this picture -image-

While it is true that items are supposed to despawn in 5 minutes, the reality is they don't, because the server can run as slow as half speed with lag, it can be 10-15 minutes before an item could despawn. The "item" part of the clear really doesn't do much, its just one attempt at lessening the lag on the server.

since the item part of the clear doesn't do much, i do think that it would be simple to remove it from the equation since players like myself and others who i have talked to today won't be inconvenienced by it again. hope you consider this change because people have lost valuable items to this clear since it does not discriminate between different items

8. @SharpSerac since the item part of the clear doesn't do much, i do think that it would be simple to remove it from the equation since players like myself and others who i have talked to today won't be inconvenienced by it again. hope you consider this change because people have lost valuable items to this clear since it does not discriminate between different items

Fair enough, all I was trying to do with it was to have less lag.

9. @CraftyMyner Fair enough, all I was trying to do with it was to have less lag.

i don't fault you for trying to have less lag in your server, but if as you say it barely has an effect then i would say the cons outweigh the pros

thanks for listening man, i only make these posts to try and better the server in which i and others enjoy regularly :)

10. Edited 6 years ago by r4iscool1

Personally I'd be against that, any sort of removal of lag Is a net positive. Losing items form the clear is few and far between you can even leave the chunks if you can't get to items in time.

I've personally seen players especially Team eye in fact, leave hundred of entities lying their after tnt, where they may stick around for long periods.
    Or players quarrying thousands of blocks and leaving on floor.

11. @SharpSerac i don't fault you for trying to have less lag in your server, but if as you say it barely has an effect then i would say the cons outweigh the pros

thanks for listening man, i only make these posts to try and better the server in which i and others enjoy regularly :)

Any reduction in lag far outweighs the negatives of having too avoid a chunk or pick up your items once an hour.
    Nearly everyone has no issue with that.

@CraftyMyner Fair enough, all I was trying to do with it was to have less lag.

Please don't remove this.

12. @R4iscool1 Any reduction in lag far outweighs the negatives of having too avoid a chunk or pick up your items once an hour.
    Nearly everyone has no issue with that.

Please don't remove this.

why do you disagree with every single thing i suggest to be added/changed about the server? he's the owner of the server and he HIMSELF said that the item aspect doesn't do much. he knows the stats, he knows everything about this server, so i think he's the most qualified for this kind of decision, and i think he made up his mind pretty fast

13. I don't disagree with everything you suggest, checking your threads.

Indeed he knows the stats and as you can see he made the decision on what he believes are the pro's and con's, you have said that his reading is incorrect and it's a bigger inconvenience than it's a pro, I disagree from my own experience of watching players entity counts and policing people to keep them low.

14. @R4iscool1 I don't disagree with everything you suggest, checking your threads.

Indeed he knows the stats and as you can see he made the decision on what he believes are the pro's and con's, you have said that his reading is incorrect and it's a bigger inconvenience than it's a pro, I disagree from my own experience of watching players entity counts and policing people to keep them low.

name one thing we have agreed on

entities do not necessarily equate to only items, they could have massive cow, pig, chicken, sheep farms where they don't get cleared by the server. items are different because they despawn eventually

15. I never said we agreed, just that we haven't disagreed on everything. I hope you don't have an issue with people disagreeing with you.

Yes but as Crafty says with CM's low TPS, item despawning can take a long long time during which time those items are causing lag and keeping the TPS low, to the detriment of all people on the server in the overworld dimension.
    This happens a lot, people seem to think it's fine to have stacks of blocks on the floor, from quarrying or in a bin which is just a hole.
    Item clear forces people to police themselves somewhat and serves as a useful way to remove excess.

Avoiding it is simple, just leave the chunk and unload it.

16. Edited 6 years ago by SharpSerac

@R4iscool1 I never said we agreed, just that we haven't disagreed on everything. I hope you don't have an issue with people disagreeing with you.

i don't have problems with people disagreeing with me, i have problems with people that seemingly reply to every one of my suggestions disagreeing with me seemingly out of spite for me one way or another. that's how it has felt whenever you reply to one of my threads, or even my reply on someone else's thread.

not agreeing == disagreement

@R4iscool1 Yes but as Crafty says with CM's low TPS, item despawning can take a long long time during which time those items are causing lag and keeping the TPS low, to the detriment of all people on the server in the overworld dimension.
    This happens a lot, people seem to think it's fine to have stacks of blocks on the floor, from quarrying or in a bin which is just a hole.
    Item clear forces people to police themselves somewhat and serves as a useful way to remove excess.

Avoiding it is simple, just leave the chunk and unload it.

as stated before, crafty has said that items don't contribute much to the lag at all, so i don't find this argument to be a valid one.

as for it being "simple to avoid" tell that to my shulker box of redstone supplies i lost because i forgot to look in the chat, which i'll also add, was on the ground for less than 1/4th of a second

17. @SharpSerac i don't have problems with people disagreeing with me, i have problems with people that seemingly reply to every one of my suggestions disagreeing with me seemingly out of spite for me one way or another. that's how it has felt whenever you reply to one of my threads, or even my reply on someone else's thread.

not agreeing == disagreement

I'm sorry you feel that way but I legitimately disagree with the suggestions I disagree with, perhaps it's a product of having different views on Minecraft.
    Not agreeing isn't the same as disagreeing either, someone can be netural or ambivalent.

@SharpSerac as stated before, crafty has said that items don't contribute much to the lag at all, so i don't find this argument to be a valid one.

as for it being "simple to avoid" tell that to my shulker box of Redstone supplies I lost because I forgot to look in the chat, which I'll also add, was on the ground for less than 1/4th of a second

He's never stated Items don't cause contribute much lag, just that the current system doesn't remove much. Entities are entities after all and a large number of entities definitely hurts the TPS.

Well if you don't pay attention to chat that's an unfortunate but ultimately avoidable on your part accident.

Crafty has a new Idea for Item clearing anyway which is better than just removing which I'm sure he will post soon and may deal with your concerns.

18. Edited 6 years ago by Valgys

To expand on one of the points raised - to comprehend the item clear warning, you have to have chat always running and you have to be able to read English. That may pigeon-hole the server into a more narrow scope of returning players.

Not everyone can read English or read it well. Also I know some younger kids (<10 yrs old) can't play on the server because they aren't allowed to have chat open - rules from the parents. I've told these families that item clear makes it more necessary to read chat to catch the reminder, especially if you are engaged in some task at the wrong time.

It's going to be a trade-off of pros and cons. Reduction of lag versus the discussion going on here. I don't like lag, but if an item clear is a known small positive, SharpSerac may have a point to the impact on players being a bigger deal.

A possible compromise: have the item clear only specific things like common minable blocks, and leave the other stuff alone.

19. @Valgys
    A possible compromise: have the item clear only specific things like common minable blocks, and leave the other stuff alone.

I fully support this.

20. I don't know how all this works, but I do know there's a system-only chat option that mutes players but allows server messages through. In my experience it doesn't work well, if at all, but perhaps I'm just doing something wrong.

21. Newer ›

or Sign Up to reply!