Solutions for the lag?

1. ‹ Older
  2. 4 years ago

Nah I had the same issue I went into the nether and had, according to crafty, 65 ish pigmen swarming me and even he couldn't kill them fast enough before they just respawned lol. Been agroed for the past week. Praying for 1.14.3

3. I was recently online and BRAVO to Crafty its been much better! Clearly Crafty is on the right track.

4. @humfrydog I was recently online and BRAVO to Crafty its been much better! Clearly Crafty is on the right track.

Good to hear, thanks!

5. is the server running out of ram?

In 1.12 the render distance was only ~5.

but i complained and i think it was moved to 6?

would it be worth while to reduce the render distance until the next update?

i know some times when ram gets mostly used some operating systems start to use the hard drive as extra memory which causes applications to slow down until the application is restarted. which seems to be similar to what is happening in our server?

6. Edited 4 years ago by CraftyMyner

@Jkeller4000 is the server running out of ram?

In 1.12 the render distance was only ~5.

but i complained and i think it was moved to 6?

would it be worth while to reduce the render distance until the next update?

i know some times when ram gets mostly used some operating systems start to use the hard drive as extra memory which causes applications to slow down until the application is restarted. which seems to be similar to what is happening in our server?

No issue with ram, server has 32gb allocated, it's only using 12-15gb, the server has another 32gb to cache files for speed, no swap is being used so no issues there. Render distance got moved back to 5 for 1.14.2 because of the mobs.

7. You mean 1.13.2 or 1.14.2?

8. @Xenial_Jesse You mean 1.13.2 or 1.14.2?

Yeah, 1.14.2, time flies.

9. Hey lets go the opposite because we are not running out of ram.

"A mob will immediately despawn if there is no player within 128 blocks of it."

https://minecraft.gamepedia.com/Spawn#Java_Edition_and_Legacy_Console_Edition

each chunk is 16 blocks. 128 /16 = 8

setting render distance to some where above 8. would cause all mobs to despawn immediately when a player moves about their base.

I just like to keep suggesting new things in hopes one might work. I know guessing at solutions it not a very good way to solve problems that i know nothing about.

10. @Jkeller4000 Hey lets go the opposite because we are not running out of ram.

"A mob will immediately despawn if there is no player within 128 blocks of it."

https://minecraft.gamepedia.com/Spawn#Java_Edition_and_Legacy_Console_Edition

each chunk is 16 blocks. 128 /16 = 8

setting render distance to some where above 8. would cause all mobs to despawn immediately when a player moves about their base.

I just like to keep suggesting new things in hopes one might work. I know guessing at solutions it not a very good way to solve problems that i know nothing about.

However, loading, sending, processing and saving 289 chunks per player is quite a lot more than 121. The real limitation here is CPU.

11. Edited 4 years ago by j____a____r____d

@Jkeller4000 Adding on to what Crafty said, Mojang has historically neglected the benefits of focusing on performance and (ideally, but not likely) shifting over to a multi threaded approach to the game logic. There's no way you can tweak the variables of the vanilla server to get the max performance possible without radically changing the server jar's programming (with something like nSpigot), unless you want to severely diminish the server experience.

We live in an era where we have 8 or even 16 cores in consumer grade CPUs, and for every vanilla and normal Spigot server, every single core in their CPU is twiddling their thumbs around except for one, which is busy handling chunk loading, entity processing, command blocks, chunk and world serialization, and literally every other aspect about game logic aside from chat (???). This is just old lazy code carried over from the Notch days, and Mojang, despite developing one of the biggest games of all time and having the resources to do so, still hasn't done jack to better the performance of their game.

The only practical solutions here are to wait for Mojang to get their shit together and fix the many issues they've introduced with 1.14, or replace the server software with something that actually focuses on high performance like Spigot.

12. To be fair mojang are clearly moving over to multithread use, allowing your processor to share the load, going by the last error we had and also the messages you get when starting up a server. Handshakes between processors are actually very tricky and it is no great surprise that changing over is throwing up some server crashes and other problems. Hopefully much of this will be sorted when 1.14.3 comes out.

13. Edited 4 years ago by j____a____r____d

@Tez1010 To be fair mojang are clearly moving over to multithread use, allowing your processor to share the load, going by the last error we had and also the messages you get when starting up a server. Handshakes between processors are actually very tricky and it is no great surprise that changing over is throwing up some server crashes and other problems. Hopefully much of this will be sorted when 1.14.3 comes out.

I understand that, I work with threading in C++ all the time. What I'm trying to convey is that this should have been a top priority from the very beginning because shifting a massive codebase from a single threaded serial approach to multithreading is much more difficult then just designing it to be multithreaded in the first place.

Games like Seed of Andromeda are designed with multithreading in mind, so it gets to enjoy insane water physics and gravel cascading that would be a technical marvel to see in Minecraft. I would put it past Mojang to prioritize performance over adding random things to the game.

14. @deyahruhd I understand that, I work with threading in C++ all the time. What I'm trying to convey is that this should have been a top priority from the very beginning because shifting a massive codebase from a single threaded serial approach to multithreading is much more difficult then just designing it to be multithreaded in the first place.

Games like Seed of Andromeda are designed with multithreading in mind, so it gets to enjoy insane water physics and gravel cascading that would be a technical marvel to see in Minecraft. I would put it past Mojang to prioritize performance over adding random things to the game.

Obviously the problem here is that Mojang doesn't sell Minecraft by making a stable server software, the sell it by releasing new features. Unless something was to make Minecraft run dog slow even on spigot, they will only do enough performance improvements to make up for their new features. It's a sad reality but its true.

15. Deleted 4 years ago by Pwnanite
  16. Edited 4 years ago by XenialJesse

Fun with entity bug:

-image-

-image-

-image-

or Sign Up to reply!