Solutions for the lag?

1. ‹ Older
  2. 4 years ago

@SharpSerac just switch to spigot for the purpose of reducing lag, leave everything else the same. ie just change the jar lol

That would be the plan.

3. It would still be "vanilla" if we really want to be honest about it. There is absolutely no gameplay or mechanic changes with just installing some antilag. We would still be fully vanilla gameplay, with an antilag. Save the server, get spigot imo. Mojang has already shown patch after patch that they don't give half a shit about vanilla servers, so unfortunately this is what we're left with. I'm 100% for the change and if it's either pray Mojang actually gives a shit or just install an antilag and keep everything else the same, the choice is pretty clear. Everyone knows those dirty interns aren't paid enough.

4. Kind of agree at this point. Even if 1.14.3 turns out to solve current major issues we are still left with the minor bugs and problems they wont ever prioritize or get around to. It seems for every fire mojang manages to extinguish two more pop up. Who is to say that history wont repeat itself?
    Still I am no expert so I dont know the possible negatives of spigot, but with what I understand now it just seems best all around to head for safer waters.

5. If we do change to spigot, will it be a custom written one by crafty or a third party one by some random people?

6. @FieryPhoenix64 If we do change to spigot, will it be a custom written one by crafty or a third party one by some random people?

What would be custom written?

7. @CraftyMyner What would be custom written?

I think he means like custom written plugins.

8. @FieryPhoenix64 If we do change to spigot, will it be a custom written one by crafty or a third party one by some random people?

@Th3GreenGamer I think he means like custom written plugins.

We would be using paper spigot and the panel I have already written, however, I would be making a plugin to translate the ".Commands" to "/Commands", I might also make some of my own plugins later down the line. We won't be using any off the shelf stuff like essentials.

9. @CraftyMyner We would be using paper spigot and the panel I have already written, however, I would be making a plugin to translate the ".Commands" to "/Commands", I might also make some of my own plugins later down the line. We won't be using any off the shelf stuff like essentials.

From what I see here, you cannot keep . instead of / right?
    Does that mean you got to translate the entire code you made so far?

If that's so, that is quite a load of shit to do.

10. @iDogeTwinkie From what I see here, you cannot keep . instead of / right?
    Does that mean you got to translate the entire code you made so far?

If that's so, that is quite a load of shit to do.

Nah, the code stays the same, I just need to write an interpolator to change the / into something the panel can see.

11. @CraftyMyner Nah, the code stays the same, I just need to write an interpolator to change the / into something the panel can see.

Ah that doesn't seem much of a problem - or is it? :D
    I mean, at first thought, it sounds simple, but I'm pretty sure it isn't lol.

12. @iDogeTwinkie Ah that doesn't seem much of a problem - or is it? :D
    I mean, at first thought, it sounds simple, but I'm pretty sure it isn't lol.

It's going to be work on my part as I got to relearn java and the spigot API but it won't be anywhere close too the code I wrote for the panel originally.

13. Here's what I think about it.

I don't know when I exactly joined, but I believe it was somewhere in 2014.
    I think I joined when we was on 1.8. Since then we were complaining about lag.

We fought lag like we did, we always cried about it, but Mojang didn't do shit about it.
    It's been like this until now. Crafty did as much as he possibly could on his part.

I haven't been playing since I came back from Croatia. Which is about 3 weeks.
    Mostly because I'm getting bored of MC considering the lag and unstable update.

Considering the obvious fact that Mojang won't do jack shit for Java, as much as I would love to stay on it, this lag is unbearable and it's worse by every update - it's better we go on Spigot.

I think lag is what we all hate and is what we all would love to get rid of.
    I believe it's lag that prevents people from playing.

So I'd say go for it. :)

P.S. I just woke up and my mom literally be like "Marko get your sorryass up we gotta get to the shop."

Hopefully she'll be done by the time I drink my coffee so I can just pick her up lol.

14. Edited 4 years ago by XenialJesse

I hear you did something overnight Crafty.

Oh my god the improvement at the moment... solid 20 ticks per second for the first time in months... running so well. NICE WORK. Here's hoping it holds up as the "bad hours" hit later on.

Edit - Like, I can't even express how good it is. Mobs are everywhere in caves and it's actually crazy fun. So much fighting, everything moving fast. Seriously how did this happen! So good :D

15. Edited 4 years ago by XenialJesse

Unfortunately during the "bad hours" things did indeed turn to real mush like any other night. The hours I mention in this post all refer to Canada (Ottawa) time.

It seems from roughly 2pm to 8pm things get insanely bad; that's what I've noticed for several nights now anyway. Tonight was perhaps maybe possibly a bit better (?), but it was still riding on the edge of unplayable from my perspective. Things were down to 7 TPS.

I'd be hesitant to just write it off as player count, because a) the difference is drastic -- going from 6 to 12 players can't solely be the cause of such a big change, and b) tonight it has clearly performed better with 16 players at around 9pm than it performed with 11 players at around 6pm.

Once it started improving again (after around 8pm), it was definitely starting to act more like the magical improvement we saw earlier today. It wasn't nearly as good yet, but it did appear to be recovering in a way that didn't happen in previous days, made most evident by the occasional return to 20 TPS. I don't think the server has really hit 20 TPS (or even came close) in the last month until your recent magical fix.

Anyway, just thoughts and observations. I guess you guys already have logs and stats that can tell you as much without my fuzzy descriptions. So a summary:
    Good hours = mind-blowing good. Drop any thought of spigot like a brick if CM can hold onto that performance.
    Bad hours = still super bad and really frustrating. Personal suspicion about how the performance drop seems to sync up with (real world) time of day more than player count.

And all that said, playing today on Crafty while it was good was some of the funnest Minecrafting I've had. It was sooo good; especially with raids, and caves just packed with never-ending mobs.

16. I wonder if it might have to do with who is online as well? Like some players might have bases with more going on?

17. I'm guessing those with huge auto farms, guardian grinders or other large amounts of mobs cause a bit of the lag since on top of those spawning there's tons in caves unless they went through and lit them all up.

18. I wonder how much the upcoming entity count fix in 1.14.3 will work with the recent Crafty magic; perhaps the two will click together in the right way to lock in more of yesterday's great performance.

Caving might return to being less explosive than yesterday's fun (which was a constant battle even with a full god set), but Pillager raids would still be a great fight.

19. In the meantime if everyone sprinkled torches liberally around their bases and caves.....

20. Edited 4 years ago by Compos

I do not Know if it makes much of a difference,

But I accidentally agroed pig men. and because mobs spawn so much i cannot kill all the agroed pig men before more pig men spawn.

and then i get a hoard of hundreds of pig men. all angry all path finding trying to get to me.

I am tryign to place half slabs to reduce their spawn. but i cannot fight them and place half slabs at the same time. and it has been a full day of logging out and logging in and the pig men are still agroed. i cannot get them to not be agroed :(

I wonder if the lag is consistent with people in the nether?

21. didnt they used to stop being aggro'd when you log out?

22. Newer ›

or Sign Up to reply!