Post a Reply

CraftyMynes Owner AMA

1. 7 years ago
    Edited 7 years ago by Valgys
    1. Who is the oldest active player (non-staff) you can think of at this moment. By length of time on being CM?
    2. Same as #1, but by age?
    3. Ever plan to get formal education on IT/programming?
    4. What are your two top used programming languages outside of Minecraft?
    5. You ever plan to expand your IT/coding skills outside minecraft?
    6. Is there a CM staff/player you think comes closest to your skill set when it comes to coding/mc server management?
  2. Edited 7 years ago by CraftyMyner

@Valgys Who is the oldest active player (non-staff) you can think of at this moment. By length of time on being CM?

I think ardoasms has been here for a while.

@Valgys Same as #1, but by age?

We have had some pretty mature staff, however, I don't want to drop any age's/names, I will let them say it for themselfs.

@Valgys Ever plan to get formal education on IT/programming?

In this day and age, I feel that it's no longer the course's or education you take that gets you a job, it's what you have done and where you can go. The server is a good example, there is a lot more to it then just a minecraft server. I have Management/Staff experience, I work with databases, php, css, js, mysql, mongoDB, java, bootstrap, xojo, dedicated servers, networking, linux, system scaling, backup systems, management of other minecraft servers and so much more. Having a "Bachelor's in Computer Science" sounds pretty good, but "Owner of #1 Vanilla Minecraft Server" also sounds pretty good. I don't really like sitting in school as it just goes to slow for me because of the way I learned. When you get a degree, they cover theory and pretty much everything under the sun, even though you may never need some parts of it, a kind of "You may need this in the future" teaching. For me this doesnt work, when I need something I go get it, or I use my problem solving skills to figure it out as I go. I find this to be a much better use of my limited time, as well as much more rewarding/interesting.

@Valgys What are your two top used programming languages outside of Minecraft?

I use Xojo for most of my cross platform development needs, and the web stack (html,css,js) for large scale websites (like this forum). Also I do like RegEx quite a bit.

@Valgys You ever plan to expand your IT/coding skills outside minecraft?

I use my programming skills to make programs for myself and others to organize and manage stuff. I also share the panel that runs our server with a few other servers. With my current job (Boat Mechanic) my IT knowledge comes in handy when we get and electrical or system issue.

@Valgys Is there a CM staff/player you think comes closest to your skill set when it comes to coding/mc server management?

I had a staff that I though was close enough to let them help manage the website with me, I gave them access to the backend of the website and they completely took advantage of me. Azrad (rip) is very good at what he does, but I don't think he would ever think of running a server with players.

3. @Cileklim One of the server facts says that 224 players got banned in May 9, 2015. Is that the number of total players banned? If not so, what happened that day?

On May 9th , an attempt to get Crafty's paypal happened, by a hacker that found Crafty's email password. Due to Google chrome's autofill options, the hacker was able to find the server, delete all of our backups, banned everyone on the server, including Crafty and a few administrators. Crafty was able to fix it within 5-7 hours, since he found a backup that was 2 weeks old. As a result of this, though, we had to re-ban every account that we had banned in the 2 weeks prior, hence totalling 224 bans that day.

4. What times are you most active? I rarely ever see you or some of the staff on during what wpuld be my nighttime.

5. @TheBosmerFalcon What times are you most active? I rarely ever see you or some of the staff on during what wpuld be my nighttime.

I am on the forum like 24/7, I check the server when I wake up, about 5am PST and at my breaks and lunch, if I'm not too tired when I get home from work (6-7pm PST) then I get on the server and teamspeak until I pass out.

6. Is there a player that hasn't applied for a staff and been accepted that has been here from the beginnings of the server and is still active?

7. @_Confederacy_ Is there a player that hasn't applied for a staff and been accepted that has been here from the beginnings of the server and is still active?

@ardoasms

8. @_Confederacy_ Is there a player that hasn't applied for a staff and been accepted that has been here from the beginnings of the server and is still active?

@Blackened_Dawn @ardoasms

correction: applied twice, once back in 1.8, again a lil after 1.9 launched

9. Edited 7 years ago by 2Chill

@CraftyMyner
    Well because most of our conversations are usually about the server and things of that nature for hours , i figure this is a good place to ask some simple questions off topic from the norm .

What is the biggest fish you have caught ?
    Did you keep it and eat it ?

10. What was the longest time you had to wait for food in a restaurant? Mine was 2 hours.

11. So wait, do all admins have to give a yes when accepting helpers?
    What conditions must be met for a helper to go to mod, mod to admin?
    Mind posting an updated selfie on the selfie thread?
    What is least favorite block in minecraft?
    What made you want to be a boat mechanic?
    How much training do you need to be a boat mechanic?
    Who is oldest {in time on the server} active player?

12. @gilbertboys
    Crafty, do you ever plan a purpose for the radio tower?
    No
    Have any server rules changed since the servers creation?
    Yes
    Who were the original admins that came along with the creation of the server?
    Azrad, Baron, Grant and I.
    What ever happened to building benjimin?
    No.
    {Besides command blocks} What is your favorite block in minecraft?
    Bedrock
    So wait, do all admins have to give a yes when accepting helpers?
    Yes
    What conditions must be met for a helper to go to mod, mod to admin?
    this
    What made you want to be a boat mechanic?
    College money
    How much training do you need to be a boat mechanic?
    Google it
    Who is oldest {in time on the server} active player?
    Me
    Will the VIP+ pvp arena ever be constructed? What will it be like?
    Maybe
    Do you ever plan on making a mechanism to make sure non VIP´s can get to the VIP lounge? or to the VIP+ lounge?
    No

13. 6 years ago

how many hours a week do you work on server related things example , server itself , panel ?

14. @2Chill how many hours a week do you work on server related things example , server itself , panel ?

I probably spend about 10-12 hours a day managing the backend of the server, and when I'm not working on the server, I'm always thinking about it. Currently, I spend most of my time answering questions, working on the panel and finding homes for players that have lost them. As I am done school, I have recently been spending more time in game, fixing long-standing issues with the way the servers and systems work.

15. @CraftyMyner I probably spend about 10-12 hours a day managing the backend of the server, and when I'm not working on the server, I'm always thinking about it. Currently, I spend most of my time answering questions, working on the panel and finding homes for players that have lost them. As I am done school, I have recently been spending more time in game, fixing long-standing issues with the way the servers and systems work.

can you outline some of the issues you are fixing?

16. @CraftyMyner I probably spend about 10-12 hours a day managing the backend of the server, and when I'm not working on the server, I'm always thinking about it. Currently, I spend most of my time answering questions, working on the panel and finding homes for players that have lost them. As I am done school, I have recently been spending more time in game, fixing long-standing issues with the way the servers and systems work.

Idk if the "done school" part is actual, cuz u still need to work on ur grammar