CraftyMynes Owner AMA

1. ‹ Older
  2. 7 years ago

@argonFiles do you collect anything?

I do like servers and networking gear, however, it's quite expensive to collect that stuff.

3. @TheDunmerRaven Do you have a favourite species of bird? Or a least favourite?

I feel like this question is a bit bias, however, I do like birds like hawks. I find small birds (the ones that sit outside my window every day and wake me up) quite annoying.

4. @SharpSerac do you like ram discs?

Back when I had my 128gb ram server I had the server on a ramdisk, it didn't really do anything for performance over a SSD (even though my read/write speeds 16000MB/s). I could find them useful for database and data crunching applications but other then that, they are not really worth it for me.

5. how many more minecraft servers could you run on the current hardware, and do you have any private servers running on it?

6. @ardoasms how many more minecraft servers could you run on the current hardware

Technically I could run 3 more without any performance hit, however, with a well optimized spigot/bungee, im sure I could get 1000+ players on this one server.

@ardoasms do you have any private servers running on it?

I start up copies of the world to test things or retrieve old command blocks from time to time. Most of my testing for the server and panel is done on my home server because I get much faster transfer rates to it.

-image-

7. @bladerunner how did you and the other admins meet (exluding Nysic)

Nysic, iclutchHD, ryleeraee, and AP0C4L1P53 were regular players before becoming administrators. The rest met through that server Crafty mentioned.

8. Edited 7 years ago by Valgys
    1. Who is the oldest active player (non-staff) you can think of at this moment. By length of time on being CM?
    2. Same as #1, but by age?
    3. Ever plan to get formal education on IT/programming?
    4. What are your two top used programming languages outside of Minecraft?
    5. You ever plan to expand your IT/coding skills outside minecraft?
    6. Is there a CM staff/player you think comes closest to your skill set when it comes to coding/mc server management?
  9. Edited 7 years ago by CraftyMyner

@Valgys Who is the oldest active player (non-staff) you can think of at this moment. By length of time on being CM?

I think ardoasms has been here for a while.

@Valgys Same as #1, but by age?

We have had some pretty mature staff, however, I don't want to drop any age's/names, I will let them say it for themselfs.

@Valgys Ever plan to get formal education on IT/programming?

In this day and age, I feel that it's no longer the course's or education you take that gets you a job, it's what you have done and where you can go. The server is a good example, there is a lot more to it then just a minecraft server. I have Management/Staff experience, I work with databases, php, css, js, mysql, mongoDB, java, bootstrap, xojo, dedicated servers, networking, linux, system scaling, backup systems, management of other minecraft servers and so much more. Having a "Bachelor's in Computer Science" sounds pretty good, but "Owner of #1 Vanilla Minecraft Server" also sounds pretty good. I don't really like sitting in school as it just goes to slow for me because of the way I learned. When you get a degree, they cover theory and pretty much everything under the sun, even though you may never need some parts of it, a kind of "You may need this in the future" teaching. For me this doesnt work, when I need something I go get it, or I use my problem solving skills to figure it out as I go. I find this to be a much better use of my limited time, as well as much more rewarding/interesting.

@Valgys What are your two top used programming languages outside of Minecraft?

I use Xojo for most of my cross platform development needs, and the web stack (html,css,js) for large scale websites (like this forum). Also I do like RegEx quite a bit.

@Valgys You ever plan to expand your IT/coding skills outside minecraft?

I use my programming skills to make programs for myself and others to organize and manage stuff. I also share the panel that runs our server with a few other servers. With my current job (Boat Mechanic) my IT knowledge comes in handy when we get and electrical or system issue.

@Valgys Is there a CM staff/player you think comes closest to your skill set when it comes to coding/mc server management?

I had a staff that I though was close enough to let them help manage the website with me, I gave them access to the backend of the website and they completely took advantage of me. Azrad (rip) is very good at what he does, but I don't think he would ever think of running a server with players.

10. @CraftyMyner I think ardoasms has been here for a while.

ive only been on craftymynes since around december of 2014, with a few breaks in there... that sounds like a much longer time than it feels like...

11. @ardoasms ive only been on craftymynes since around december of 2014, with a few breaks in there... that sounds like a much longer time than it feels like...

CraftyMynes went public in October 2014 :P

12. @Blackened_Dawn CraftyMynes went public in October 2014 :P

now i feel really old...

but not as old as i felt when i found out that finding nemo was made in 2003... and i remember seeing it in theaters

13. crafty did you expect to meet such amazing people when you created the server?

14. @bladerunner crafty did you expect to meet such amazing people when you created the server?

I had no idea this was going to happen. When I made this server I was hoping that I would make a few friends, I never expected to be hosting a server that as seen over 190k unique players.

15. so you were hoping that you could have friends and have fun with out all the shinanaganz?

16. @bladerunner so you were hoping that you could have friends and have fun with out all the shinanaganz?

The shinanaganz is what makes it fun.

17. @CraftyMyner The shinanaganz is what makes it fun.

well said crafty well said

18. what do you think is the best aspect of the community?

19. @_GoldenAtlas_ what do you think is the best aspect of the community?

I think this sums it up: https://forum.craftymynes.com/339-the-selfie-thread

20. have there ever been times where you were worried that the server would have to be shut down long term?

21. @ardoasms have there ever been times where you were worried that the server would have to be shut down long term?

A few times, once when half the staff left, the other when there was not enough donations for a few months in a row, I was paying out of my pocket,going to school and I didn't have a job.

22. Newer ›

or Sign Up to reply!