correlation between trolls and hacking

1. 6 years ago

Just curious, does anyone think such correlation exists?

2. There's certainly a typical attitude of a hacker. They seem to usually be jerks who love to argue...

3. If you look at the ban appeals they make, there does seem to be a connection. But some trolls do not understand how to install hacks.

4. Ah another usless thread from mr.soivet

5. BenjoBanjo7 was super friendly and the community actually loved him and his kindness
    He just hacked once or twice and is now suspended on forums for lingering too much I think.

It's a bit narrow minded to assume everyone hacks to be an ass. It would make more sense dissecting and correlating the minds of toxic trolls specifically and I'm not talking about the jokesters or obvious bratty teens. I think i read a study about most Internet trolls being narcissists, psychopaths, or even sadistic.
    Those people you feel that push a it a bit too far when harassing someone.

6. @Pimpcy that's an interesting thought. I personally didn't know benjobanjo but it does bring new light to the conversation. Now I'm more curious about what brings a troll to troll. Not the extreme type of trolling where people are pushed to suicide, but your average slightly annoying troll.

7. Edited 6 years ago by Naidae

@SovietSuperman_ @Pimpcy that's an interesting thought. I personally didn't know benjobanjo but it does bring new light to the conversation. Now I'm more curious about what brings a troll to troll. Not the extreme type of trolling where people are pushed to suicide, but your average slightly annoying troll.

Boredom and immaturity, really. Most trolls I see are either young kids that are just immature little punks or adults (while still immature...) have nothing better to do to fill their time than to mess with other people.

I would assume that a lot of trolls get to this stage from either

1. lack of discipline in their household
    2. too much free time and no direction
    3. influences from social media, television, and friends

Or if they are adults...

1. lack of respect for others
    2. sense of entitlement or superiority ("I can do whatever I want, I'm an adult")
    3. Influences by social media, again.
  8. What makes a troll into a troll is a subject that interests me greatly.

i would add to Naidae's list a skewed view of the internet where they cant see another person is on the receiving end.

9. @Tez1010 i would add to Naidae's list a skewed view of the internet where they cant see another person is on the receiving end.

I think that says something about all internet users and not just trolls. Perhaps a persons inability to look past the screen in front is actually dehumanizing everyone we interact with virtually. Just a thought.

10. Yeah probably true it makes being mean easier since you cant see em

11. Tbh I'm a troll and I do it here and there for lols. To me, trolls just make fun of some situations and make fun out of some stuff that happens you know. I don't do it much often as I got bored as hell from it.

12. Edited 6 years ago by Valgys

@SovietSuperman_

@Tez1010 What makes a troll into a troll is a subject that interests me greatly.

i would add to Naidae's list a skewed view of the internet where they cant see another person is on the receiving end.

@DoppyRex Yeah probably true it makes being mean easier since you cant see em

I remember an article back in the late 90s first talking about this when most of the world was still using dial-up - and the topic of anonymity, internet, and trolls has been revisited almost every 3-6 months since.

There two different types of people being mentioned here, the troll and the cyber bully. Cyber bullies came about with the millennial generation as the world grew up with the internet (and was further adopted as a weapon for older groups of toxic people) - they target specific people which push them to suicide etc. There is no effective way to stop them, aside from legal action. And in more terrible cases where there's a group of bullies, they can influence others to perpetuate the bullying with no end or escape in sight.

Trolls are attention seekers. They use the anonymity of the internet to interact unfiltered with society. In the 90s and possibly still today, they were the meek or self-confident who need to feel a level of control and/or superiority over others. Unlike the cyber bullies they have no target and simply fish for someone to give them attention. If you ignore trolls, they lose interest and move on.

Cyber bullies may do the same, but can be known double-down on the intensity of toxic words/actions until they get what they want.

As far as hackers go, according to how most governments identify them, the vast majority fall within attention seekers who hack just to do it ("entry-level threats"). The other significantly smaller percentage of them work with an agenda and are the most damaging - the US once noted less than 1% of government hacks in the mid-2000s in this category.

Hackers in games like minecraft also have a third agenda, which is just to "win." So while a great number of hackers in MC are jerks, another large part of them simply have that sense of entitlement and/or to get an advantage over others.

When caught, the hacker's response will be across the spectrum as seen here with the ban appeals - from remorseful to indignant to absolutely trolly. Not all hackers are trolls, and not all hackers are dangerous.

However they all have one major thing in common, and that's that they are all opportunists.

13. Idk but in the 99% of the cases hackers have Troll Face skins.

@NerdieBirdieYT There's certainly a typical attitude of a hacker. They seem to usually be jerks who love to argue...

Yea usually players who use pvp cheats like killaura, speed hacks, flying etc etc are usually harsher because they think they're invincible.

14. Deleted 2 years ago by Blackened_Dawn
  15. Let's not bring that up please.

16. "Trolls are people too" lol, trolls find enjoyment in defying authority, no better place to do it than the internet

17. Thats so true

or Sign Up to reply!