Reinterpretation of doxing punishment

1. 3 years ago
    Edited 3 years ago by j____a____r____d

Given the recent... drama about a certain player's doxing I think the actual legal repercussions of doxing should be accounted for in the length of a dox ban.

Being a victim of doxing on this server myself - a player on CM attempted to impersonate my real identity on Discord using my real name and LinkedIn profile picture - and an avid watcher of a streamer who has been thoroughly doxed and is constantly screwed with every day, I think it would be safe to say that any attempts at leaking any player's personal information without their consent should be met with a very strict and clear ban.

it is simply just to teach how devastating dox could actually be, especially in this digital age where you can easily search up for phone numbers in another state or region and call in a bomb/SWAT team threat or order unpaid pizza for people. Private personal information, in the wrong hands, can ruin people's lives and I honestly hope everyone can agree that doxing should not be tolerated here in the slightest.

My suggestion is to make it a 1-month IP ban. This allows the victim of the doxxing to remain safe from harassment by the doxer, since they won't be able to join on any alts, and gives the doxer themselves a month-long reason to think about why they screwed up. Or leave forever, which works too.

EDIT:
    Of course, there's the exception of casually using someone's first name in a conversation. For example some people call me Jared and I'm fine with that. This exception probably should be treated differently, in that if person A uses person B's personal name, and person B objects to it or contacts staff, then person A should be warned for the offense and banned normally if they continue for any malicious reason.

Otherwise it's pretty clear when someone steps out of that casual "first name" zone of personal information and goes into dropping addresses, last names, phone numbers and all that.

2. +1 this is a line that shouldnt be crossed. i agree wholeheartedly.

3. Being a victim of it i agree, I still feel threatened as those unnamed people have my information which they can later use to blackmail me or spread around. I genuinely do not feel safe...

4. Deleted 3 years ago by GibsonAxe
  5. a harsher punishment will def help discourage potential doxxes. 3 day/1 week too little man.

6. Deleted 3 years ago by Knafeh
  7. @Knafeh We should also think about bullying on this server, I have started to be called names on a constant bases it started a while ago but ever since now it has become a bigger issue to me and is disturbing me more and more every day. It has also become even worse now ever since this event.

Don't derail threads or you'll be suspended. Stick to the topic

8. Knafeh

30 Apr 2020 Suspended

@Blackened_Dawn Don't derail threads or you'll be suspended. Stick to the topic

Oh Kay...

9. I agree that this sort of issue should be looked into and discussed more in depth, as this is a very serious topic and more severe consequences might be more suitable. But ultimately it is up to the staff to decide.

10. from my point of view i agree especially when the people know what they are doing and that it is bad..

11. Edited 3 years ago by j____a____r____d

Not to mention that if you are doxed then your info could be used in ways that you wouldn't be aware of. Someone can try to take your identity and do some screwed up shit on a fake persona of yours and end up ruining your real life reputation, and you won't know why.

So we should just make it so nobody should feel encouraged to even compile personal information, because it can be incredibly dangerous. The IP ban is necessary because if someone can just hop on an alt and play again after committing what can lead to a legal tort then they won't really learn, and of course they can talk to the person they just doxed and harass them further. It would defeat the purpose of such a ban.

As I said personal information in the wrong hands can be devastating to people's lives, and it can basically be used for outright malicious identity theft. We need to help make this clear so that players can be safe from the threat of being doxed.

12. @deyahruhd Not to mention that if you are doxed then your info could be used in ways that you wouldn't be aware of. Someone can try to take your identity and do some screwed up shit on a fake persona of yours and end up ruining your real life reputation, and you won't know why.

So we should just make it so nobody should feel encouraged to even compile personal information, because it can be incredibly dangerous. The IP ban is necessary because if someone can just hop on an alt and play again after committing what can lead to a legal tort then they won't really learn, and of course they can talk to the person they just doxed and harass them further. It would defeat the purpose of such a ban.

As I said personal information in the wrong hands can be devastating to people's lives, and it can basically be used for outright malicious identity theft. We need to help make this clear so that players can be safe from the threat of being doxed.

Agreed, letting them play on an alt doesn't really show them its a punishment as they can just play and forgot the ban on their other account. I am also anxious that my information can now be used in ways it shouldn't and I won't know :/

13. I also agree with this. If the doxxing punishment is merely a week non-IP ban, that doesn't seem to be a discouragement at all. This is one of the few acts that actually has legal ramifications, it's not spamming chat with "fuck."

14. @hekmo I also agree with this. If the doxxing punishment is merely a week non-IP ban, that doesn't seem to be a discouragement at all. This is one of the few acts that actually has legal ramifications, it's not spamming chat with "fuck."

It should be treated the same as threatening the server with a DDoS (a perma IP ban), they both have legal consequences for the parties at hand and extends far beyond just the scope of the server. But obviously it might be too harsh of a punishment for some people.

15. If one can be permanently banned for saying mean words that only some may find offensive, or even for something like cheating, I do not understand why something that has real life implications would be any different. This server is not scared to permanently ban people (which is fine), so I don't know why we wouldn't for something that is MUCH more serious than cheating, spamming, or anything like that because all of those issues aren't real life. I am unsure if players would like to be playing on a server with people who have done this, and can presumably do it again with ease.

16. @Meldryn If one can be permanently banned for saying mean words that only some may find offensive, or even for something like cheating, I do not understand why something that has real life implications would be any different. This server is not scared to permanently ban people (which is fine), so I don't know why we wouldn't for something that is MUCH more serious than cheating, spamming, or anything like that because all of those issues aren't real life. I am unsure if players would like to be playing on a server with people who have done this, and can presumably do it again with ease.

I agree with you Meldryn this game should be where people can come to relax, not get stressed out over whether people are trying to stalk you in real life.

17. Deleted 3 years ago by Venetorem
  18. @Louis_Vuitton8 I agree with you Meldryn this game should be where people can come to relax, not get stressed out over whether people are trying to stalk you in real life.

I believe all admin and Crafty should come together and make new rules regarding doxxing possibly a permanent IP ban would be most effective to avoid all situations like this one.

19. Edited 3 years ago by j____a____r____d

I would like to mention that the month-long IP sentence should be necessary because some notable perpetrators of the drama are trying to get in unwanted contact with other people, both on Discord and on the server, since their ban is now over.

This is exactly why I wanted the ban length to be that long and severe.

or Sign Up to reply!